109 replies to this topic

#1 MortifiedAlbino

MortifiedAlbino

Silent Assassin

• Tech Support Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:10 AM

I saw many are experiencing lots of problems in getting this game to run. Well, here is a little "guide" to make sure you get the most out of your system.

Drivers:
First of all, make sure you have the VERY latest graphicscards drivers. For ati, visit www.ati.com. For nvidia, visit www.nvidia.com.

Defrag:
Also, after you install the game, it is VERY important to defragment your harddrive. This will reduce stuttering (small pauses, 0.2s and very annoying, when playing). To do this, go to: start - all programs - accesories - system tools - disk defragger. Start the program and choose the disk where hitman4/demo is installed and click on the "defrag" buttom.

Patch:
Also, a PATCH for the DEMO and Full game needs to be downloaded to ensure you are having the very best performance in your game. To download it, visit http://www.eidosinte....co.uk/support/.
Then download the fix for either the demo or fullgame (depending on what you have). The fix will be a file called "HitmanBloodMoney.exe". You need to move this file to C:\Program Files\Eidos\Hitman Blood Money Demo (or wherever you installed the game) and if (most likely) windows asks you to replace a file, choose YES.

Note that this patch can improove performance by as much as 100%.

INGAME SETTINGS:

First of all, go to options - sound:

EAX ON/OFF

EAX is a kind of effect for newer sound cards. It will make sound more "atmospheric" and "real". However, this comes with a performance hit, so set to OFF for best performance. For best audio quality, set it to ON.

Crashing game:
Note that if you are experiencing problems as game crashing and such, you can try to lower sound acceleration in your dxdiag. Go to start - run - type "dxdiag" (without the qoutes) - go to sound and lower the slider until it says "basic acceleration". This can help resolve some crashes. Also worth trying is to disable EAX.

Now, go back to main meny, and then: options - graphics - render options:

Render quality

This is just predefined graphics settings. The best thing is to set this to "custom" (far right) and set the settings yourself.

Drop Shadows

This controls the amount of shadows that are cast by people ingame. The options here are "none" (removes ALL shaodws from players and give best performance and fps), "hero" (only Mr.47 will cast shadows, gives little worse fps) and "all characters" (all people ingame cast shadows, but for older computers, this might hurt performance alot).

Self Shadowing

This settings, when enabled (ticked) allows shadows to be seen on peoples bodies. For example, when you walk under a tree, you can see shadows on 47s head and back. This can however hurt performance alot as its many "extra" shadows that have to be drawn, so disable this for better performance and still have nice graphics.

Also note that these shadows can be rather buggy ingame, ie they render incorrectly on 47 and other characters. In order to fix this, you can add the line (or change current value if line is already present) "ShadowResolution 256" to "ShadowResolution 2048". This makes all shadows ingame use a much higher resolution (they look better) but can also hurt performance alot, so use this tweak with caution.

Drop shadow quality
Hard and Soft. Hard is to be used for best performance. Soft is to be used for best graphics (and reduced performance).

My recommendation is that everyone with anything but the highest end use "Hard", as softshadows are very demanding in games. I recommend most users to use Hard, as Soft can be "bugged" anyway, meaning they arent looking right. If you have a high end machine, try the soft setting. If shadows arent looking right, choose the hard setting.

Update; The shadows were labeled wrong in the demo/early versions of the game. Soft shadows works properly with the 1.2 patch and can be used without a major performance drop.

Post Filters level of detail

This controls the "special effects" that are seen on the screen. To get a good example of what this setting does, just disable it by putting it to the left, and then enable it. You will see the diffrence on screen. This settings, however, is EXTREMLY demanding for older cards. I would recommend that most people with older hardware try to play the game with this off (far left).
If you have a medium to high end computer (7600GT, X1800GTO, 6800GT+, X800XL+) you can try a setting of "low". This will enable all post filter effects but the "deapth of field" (DoF). DoF only makes things to "focus" on main things and blur the rest of the screen. The diffrence between isnt that great, so for most people "low" should be a better choise than "High". High can be enabled for those with 7800+/X1800+ cards.

Level of detail

This setting controls the way "detail" fades away with distance. Graphics right in front of you should stay the same no matter what you set this to. Its only at distance that you can see people loose detail (ie there heads arent perfectly shaped etc). For people looking for "free" performance, this can be set to low/medium. For most people, medium should be just fine.

Gamma

This controls how bright your screen is. Higher = brighter.

Anistropic filtering

This is a "luxury setting". Keep it off at first and sett all the other settings FIRST. When youve done that, come back to this and see if you can enable some without loosing too much performance. Basicly, this settings makes textures at distance sharper. Values between 2-4X is enough for lower end cards. For the better cards, try 8-16X.

Texture resolution

This range from low to max and control how sharp textures look. Id say (settings, video card memory); low for 64mb, medium for 128mb, high for 256mb and max for 512mb cideo cards. Setting this setting too high will increase stuttering (small pauses) in game and/or cause fps drops (lesser performance). If you notice that, set this lower than you were using.

Vertical sync (aka vsync)

Will force max fps to stay within your monitors Hz. This reduce tearing (wierd movement on screen). However, this also reduces performance, so if youve never heard of tearing/dont notice anything wierd, disable this option for best performance/fps.

Anti Aliasing (aka AA)

This setting is also a "luxury setting". Set if to off, and set the other settings FIRST. Then come back here and play with this setting. This will reduce jaggies on things ingame. However, even 2xAA is VERY demanding, i recommend keeping this OFF for most people, and for those with highend comuter, 2-4X.

Resolution

This controls the amount of pixels shown. What it mean is that the higher numbers you choose, the worse performance you will get. I would recommend people to start with 800X600. And then go down/up depending on what gives the best performance/quality. Note that resolutions allowed ingame are depending on what windows knows your monitor can handle. Therefor, its recommended to always use the latest drivers for your monitor. Hitman blood money supports many resolutions and formats, including 16:10 widescreen.

How to remove ALL shaders for a huge performance increase (but can cause visual anomolies).

This is a must for people with older cards like pre-geforce 3 (geforce 2 or less) and pre-ATi 8500 (e.g. ati 7000-series).

1. Go to the folder where you installed hitman; e.g. C:\program files\edios\hitman blood money.
2. In that folder, find a file called "HitmanBloodMoney.ini" or just "HitmanBloodMoney".
3. Open it with notepad or wordpad.
4. Add the line "Shaderquality Low" (without the " of course) in the file. Then save the file and close. Done!

Update: From patch 1.2 and onwards you can select 'shadermodel 1' in the configuration.exe file in your install folder.

How to enable SLI, and get a huge performance increase in Hitman Blood Money:
1. Go to the folder where you installed hitman, e.g. C:\Program Files\Eidos\Hitman Blood Money Demo
2. In that folder, find a file called "HitmanBloodMoney.ini" or just "HitmanBloodMoney".
3. Open it with notepad or wordpad.
4. Add the line "enablesli" (without the two "). Save the file and youre done!

Note that this can work for people with Crossfire configurations too, but has proven to be rather buggy on those systems.
Update: With patch 1.2 you can now force SLI from the configuration.exe file in your install folder.

I wrote this hoping it can help a few deciding how to set the game for an optimal experience. Also, i really like that there are so many options to play with. AF/AA is very nice to have ingame, instead of being forced to use gpu control panels instead. Great, great job with the game. I have to say, it is everything any hitman fan would want :good: I cant wait for my copy to arrive!

Edited by MortifiedAlbino, 19 May 2007 - 01:25 AM.

Antec P180 | Silverstone Strider 600W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | Intel i5-3570K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2000 9-10-9-24-1T | Sapphire HD 4890 1GB 960MHz | SyncMaster 2433BW 1920X1200 | Razer Lachesis | Razer Sphex | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung Spinpoint F3 | Windows 7 Professional SP1 X64

The Technical FAQ - Has solutions and optimizations for Blood Money.
The Graphics Card Guide - If you�re buying a new Graphics card, make sure to give this a read.

#2 Pulp

Pulp

it

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7821 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:11 AM

You should post something like this in the Contracts and 1 & 2 tech help forums. It's in desperate need of a general guide of things to check before having to ask, especially as most problems can be sorted with a patch or tweaking of settings.

Nice work :)

I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE AND I BRING YOU FIRE!
"Did you just compare the ps3 having shitty launch and follow up titles to being black in a racist bigoted world?" -Zoo

#3 masteroftoast

masteroftoast

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:15 AM

This isn't quite related, but you seem to know your stuff, so:

A friend's brother's auntie's grandma's nephew's cousin's dog's auntie (twice removed on her mother's side) is having trouble starting the game in the first place. After downloading through irc, piecing it together and then installing, she tries to start up the game only to be told that she needs the right disc inserted, which of course, she doesn't have. Can anyone help this sweet old lady?

#4 MortifiedAlbino

MortifiedAlbino

Silent Assassin

• Tech Support Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:18 AM

A friend's brother's auntie's grandma's nephew's cousin's dog's auntie (twice removed on her mother's side) is having trouble starting the game in the first place. After downloading through irc, piecing it together and then installing, she tries to start up the game only to be told that she needs the right disc inserted, which of course, she doesn't have. Can anyone help this sweet old lady?

I dont think we are allowed to help her because of obvious reasons.. But "readme"s are allways there for a reason :)
Antec P180 | Silverstone Strider 600W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | Intel i5-3570K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2000 9-10-9-24-1T | Sapphire HD 4890 1GB 960MHz | SyncMaster 2433BW 1920X1200 | Razer Lachesis | Razer Sphex | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung Spinpoint F3 | Windows 7 Professional SP1 X64

The Graphics Card Guide - If you�re buying a new Graphics card, make sure to give this a read.

#5 masteroftoast

masteroftoast

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:19 AM

But the readme only tells the poor old woman that she needs the disc... myeh.

#6 Charlie-Peru

Charlie-Peru

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:22 AM

Thanks mate

But I have one VERY important question: Does BM support widescreen? Is there an option to set it to 16:10 in stead of 4:3?

Thanks

Charlie-Peru :)

#7 TheJabMan

TheJabMan

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:24 AM

AA stopped being a luxury setting last year, pretty much all cards now can do it without a hit as long as it's running over 35fps.

#8 MortifiedAlbino

MortifiedAlbino

Silent Assassin

• Tech Support Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:26 AM

Thanks mate

But I have one VERY important question: Does BM support widescreen? Is there an option to set it to 16:10 in stead of 4:3?

Thanks

Charlie-Peru :)

I think so, yes. But not within the game. In the Hitmanbloodmoney.ini, there is a line looking like this on my computer:

Resolution 1280x1024 - ( 5:4 )

I guess you could change it to:
Resolution awidescreenxresolution - ( 16:10 )

I have no widescreen to i cant tell for sure, sorry. Btw, you can use this "tweak" to set ANY custom resolution you want to see if it works.

TheJabMan; Thats not really true. In newer games like FEAR, oblivion, hitman blood money, getting above 35fps ALL (=35fps as minimum) the time is hard enough. Sure, new cards can do it without problems, but to even think of a, say, X1800GTO to run Oblivion with HDR and AA with the rest maxxed @ 1280X1024 is just... not possible.

Edited by MortifiedAlbino, 21 May 2006 - 02:29 AM.

#9 Holiace

Holiace

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:16 AM

YAY!!! AA! :)

#10 Siepher

Siepher

Pickpocket

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:23 AM

Wish there was a way to deactive that ugly Pixel Shaders 2.0 .

#11 esque

esque

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:41 AM

Thanks!

#12 ---

---

Thug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:31 AM

Wish there was a way to deactive that ugly Pixel Shaders 2.0 .

There is a way. Read Readme.rtf as soon as you get the game.

#13 FuSL

FuSL

Mercenary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:26 AM

just read that somewhere private:

EnableConsole
EnableDebugOptions
//EnableNewSceneFormat
enablecheats
//window
debugmenus 1
//disablemenutimers

ConsoleCmd show_debugtext 1
ConsoleCmd show_debuggeoms 1
ConsoleCmd show_debug 1
//ConsoleCmd ActorInfo 1
//ConsoleCmd ActorDebugInfo 1
//ConsoleCmd ScriptInfo 1
//ConsoleCmd ScriptFlightRecorder 1
//ConsoleCmd ScriptFlightRecorderFile scriptlog.txt

not everything's tried out yet, but putting that in the ini does add a debug menu option thing and a cheat-menu ingame (pushing c iirc).
still not totally sure about anything but hey, it's start... (like, all the //-deactivated things ain't tried yet)

Edited by FuSL, 21 May 2006 - 09:27 AM.

#14 hykao

hykao

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

Thanks mate

Thanks

Charlie-Peru :P

Yup! Native! From game menu! Iv got a 16:10er LCD...

#15 Holiace

Holiace

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:28 PM

Well... maybe for the 360 :P

#16 MortifiedAlbino

MortifiedAlbino

Silent Assassin

• Tech Support Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:44 PM

Thanks mate

Thanks

Charlie-Peru :P

Yup! Native! From game menu! Iv got a 16:10er LCD...

That would mean that hitman4 automaticly looks at what resolutions your drivers say you can handle. A good thing ould to hae the latest driver for your monitor installed. Nice to share, hykao :)

I just want to have one thing confirmed, softshadows on ATi-cards. Are they "blocky" when you (someone with an ATi gpu) set them to soft? Thanks :cheers:

#17 farazmobin

farazmobin

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:30 AM

the Soft shadows tend to look harder and jagged around egdes than the hard shadow option....can anyone esle confirm this...psot a screen shot of the soft dhadow version cos the hard shadow looks better!

i have a 7800gt 256,latest nvida drivers
amd 3500+ 64
1 gb ram

#18 Hitman_640509-040147

Hitman_640509-040147

Thug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:11 AM

if i tell you how to do it will i get banded?

#19 hykao

hykao

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:41 AM

the Soft shadows tend to look harder and jagged around egdes than the hard shadow option....can anyone esle confirm this...psot a screen shot of the soft dhadow version cos the hard shadow looks better!

i have a 7800gt 256,latest nvida drivers
amd 3500+ 64
1 gb ram

Yup. iv got a 7800GS and a newest NGO tweaked beta nvidia driver.

HARD:
Posted Image

SOFT:
Posted Image

and a pic about native 16:10 support:
Posted Image

Edited by hykao, 22 May 2006 - 04:44 AM.

#20 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Meanie-head

• Super Admin
  • 11158 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:56 AM

if i tell you how to do it will i get banded?

Yes you will :P