30 replies to this topic

#1 Endever

Endever

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:01 AM

I think this tutorial i made should be on every site that has anything to do with PS2 Gaming, you would be suprised but there are still many people out there that have no idea where it is, or how to properly clean the PS2's Laser lens.

Okay, begin by flipping your fat ps2 upside down, there will be 8 little black squares, 4 of them will be rubbery, the other 4 will be plastic.
Peel the rubber ones of, it doesn't matter with what as long as you get the off, and pop out the plastic squares with like your finger nail or a pocket knife.

Posted Image

Then there will be various screw sizes, most of them only need a regular phillips screwdriver though.Unscrew them all, hold your PS2 by the sides, flip it right-side up,and by the power switch and video cable, there is a warrenty sticker you won't be needing this seeming how ps2's only sell for about $30 these days so you can just remove that sticker,then take out any memory cards or controllers, carefully life the top part off towards the standyby and eject button, there will be a flexible like thing attached to the inside of the PS2 to those buttons. Once the top is off It will look similar to this.
Posted Image
Where i outlined in a red box, unscrew all of those screws as well, theres about 6 if i remeber correctly, then pull that part off (might be a little tension but it's okay) then you will see the disc tray and things beneath the tray.
Posted Image

Boxed in red is the laser. To clean it get some Q-tips, Cd cleaner or Alcohol, and 1 kleenex.

Spray or dab an end of the q-tip in the cd cleaner or alcohol and rub in a straight line motion ( so just rub up and down) then with the kleenex take a corner and just brush it up against the laser a few times.

Put it back together in the same order you took the ps2 apart, and everything is readable again.

!!!-I take no responsibility if you mess up cleaning your ps2's laser lens, this guide is perfectly written to ensure you do not mess it up-!!!

Edited by Endever, 30 August 2006 - 09:03 AM.

#2 Pulp

Pulp

it

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7821 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

Nice guide but I doubt it'll get stickied.

I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE AND I BRING YOU FIRE!
"Did you just compare the ps3 having shitty launch and follow up titles to being black in a racist bigoted world?" -Zoo

#3 Endever

Endever

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:14 AM

Eh, I just wanted it viewable, make it so no one would have to search hard for it, I was pretty mad when i couldn't find why my games weren't working, there were no topics or stickies on cleaning it, so i decided to do it myself one day, then yesterday (when i wrote guide) I decided to try and put it everywhere so no one would have my troubles.

#4 SuYen

SuYen

Ghost

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5130 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:16 AM

This should come in handy one day I guess.

Thxnk :cool:
Posted Image

#5 Nohbdy_121

Nohbdy_121

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

Someone clean their PS2 lens and tell me if it's screwed now.

#6 Endever

Endever

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:23 AM

Someone clean their PS2 lens and tell me if it's screwed now.

I have cleaned my PS2 Lens like this and it works like it's new now, i cleaned my friends this way to. If you follow the guide everything will be fine, and if you have questions just PM me or post here i'll answer.

#7 yourname

yourname

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3271 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:28 AM

There's a much easier and safer way to clean your PS2 Laser Lens, just buy a DVD Laser Lens Cleaner. It worked for me at least.
Signature removed - 450x120 maximum

#8 Mister Red

Mister Red

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

Thanks

#9 Endever

Endever

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:51 AM

There's a much easier and safer way to clean your PS2 Laser Lens, just buy a DVD Laser Lens Cleaner. It worked for me at least.

Yeah, but those can actually scratch it, cause it has those little plastic pieces that brush it, plus it costs money, what if someone doesn't have the money? ( I know it's not much but some people don't have jobs or want to waste money on that when they can do it free on their own)

#10 yourname

yourname

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3271 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

I guess another option would be to use your laser lens cleaning method. :(
Signature removed - 450x120 maximum

#11 Dave

Dave

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1454 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

If the disc itself is messed, then you can rub some "Pledge" (furiture stuff) on the bottom of the disc. Make sure you don't leave any on it. Worked for me when my Max Payne 2 disc was scratched to hell.
Posted Image

"Hmm, you know what? I think I'll just neuter and castrate myself. *shing* Well, that feels better! *picks himself up* I think I'll continue on with my day!"

#12 The Bossman

The Bossman

Harlem Shake?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1910 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:08 PM

i have bought one of those disc cleaners in the past, but...

Its one of the shittest cleaners in the world. It scratches up the inside of your ps2. And whats up with the presenters on those discs? And the music?

I'd do what endever said, and also what dave, above, said.

#13 Scourge of God

Scourge of God

fighting on the beaches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2641 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:18 PM

I bought a disc cleaner for the massive sum of 4.

I must have used it around 50 times on my PC, DVD player and PS2.

It's solved the problem every time.

But yeah, nice guide if that doesn't work for anyone, although I would recommend using a DVD Laser Lens Cleaner as well.

#14 Sclera

Sclera

rohan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15344 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

We always used to clean our lens, until we got the slim PS2.

#15 Vinnie Sinistra

Vinnie Sinistra

Henchman

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

Other guides are better written and have more pictures. I appreciate your effort, but anyone who wants to clean their PS2 lasers can find better guides elsewhere. Besides, who comes here specifically looking for PS2 laser cleaning?

#16 monkeyman

monkeyman

Shadow Warrior

• Members
  • 30266 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:34 AM

Not to mention opening your PS2 invalidates it's warranty.
Darkness covers all I see and touch, No feeling of pain just sorrow.
My hand loses grip of the sword I hold, And I turn to become a true shadow.

Posted Image

#17 dark

dark

chocolate

• Super Moderators
  • 12986 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

It certainly isn't worthy of stickification, (because this isn't a PS2 forum), but I must say it's nice to see a new member putting this much effort into a topic :( Looks like a good guide.

Edited by dark, 31 August 2006 - 09:11 AM.

#18 prank munkey

prank munkey

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:01 AM

I did this, I'm guessing by 'fat' PS2 you mean the original one. Now I have a slimline. Fill in the blanks.

I think it was buggered anyway, and it was out of warranty so I thought to hell with it and popped it open. As far as I remember I was only having trouble with San Andreas and that disc is known for being tempramental, had to buy a new copy of that too. Worked for a little while then the whole lot gave up the ghost.

#19 Araqiel

Araqiel

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3192 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

Why clean a PS2 when you can set it aflame and go and buy a 360?

#20 monkeyman

monkeyman

Shadow Warrior

• Members
  • 30266 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

Coz not everyone has the money for it or cares for the games currently out for the 360.
Darkness covers all I see and touch, No feeling of pain just sorrow.
My hand loses grip of the sword I hold, And I turn to become a true shadow.

Posted Image