1930 replies to this topic

#41 Ace

Ace

squares

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

Nope, it was a demanding game for the time.

Didn't they only have to patch it once, and for minor things?

Dude, this is a Bethesda game we're talking about. By the time they stopped patching it, it was still rife with bugs. Then UOP came along and fixed everything and fun times were had by all.
Posted Image

#42 Sketch

Sketch

Damn!

• Moderators
  • 19488 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:10 PM

I mean proper bugs.

#43 UnbiasedLover

UnbiasedLover

Shadow

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2100 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:58 AM

A direct sequel... :bad:

What on Earth is wrong with that? What did you want, a prequel? It being a direct sequel just means it'll take place chronologically after the events of Oblivion, not that it's going to be in Cyrodiil again or something.

What I want is hundreds of years before or after. Same universe, different age. Maybe some history books you can find at a bookstore mention long past events of Oblivion and Morrowind. But a direct sequel, fuck no.

#44 IMostlyDoMurder

IMostlyDoMurder

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2477 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:34 AM

I've no qualms with the game, enemies, AI or environment. I enjoy Oblivion and I'm on my third character, because I play the role I want in the game. If the game is too easy, adjust the difficulty so that each fight is a long drawn out match of skill and grit.

There is nothing stopping you sneaking past bad guys, use spells, invisibility, take off your boots, I did this for much of the thieves guild quests.

I don't find the game repetitive, the speech doesn't bother me, I like the fact there are so many places to explore and I'll never know everything about the game. I enjoy collecting and stashing armour and kit. I enjoy questing. If anything the main story line is just a way of levelling my character up quickly and getting real hot loot.
'...where I come from, they didn't give us names....they called me IMDM instead..'

#45 monkeyman

monkeyman

Shadow Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30272 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:48 AM

The copy paste caves. And ruins did suck though
Darkness covers all I see and touch, No feeling of pain just sorrow.
My hand loses grip of the sword I hold, And I turn to become a true shadow.

Posted Image

#46 Burial Agent

Burial Agent

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:29 AM

Yeah, I got sick of caves and ruins very quickly. It was the same shit. Which is why when I beat the game, I went into all the towns/cities and murdered everyone. It's kinda my tradition actually, since I did the same in Morrowind. It's not like there is anything else I could do at the end, lol.

Edited by Burial Agent, 24 November 2010 - 06:31 AM.

#47 Last Gunslinger

Last Gunslinger

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:14 AM

IGN Report

#48 Flave

Flave

Good grief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7500 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

Reduce the scope if its neccessary, just make a much higher quality game. Good animation, decent voice acting, an actual art direction with variety, genuinely interesting terrain rather than speedtree copypasta...

At this point its neccassary, I'm tired of buying a game that feels like it was made in 2003. I can overlook major flaws and really try to immerse myself, but why the fuck should I still have to?

#49 IMostlyDoMurder

IMostlyDoMurder

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2477 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

Dude, the game IS OLD. A few years ago, it felt like the shit. It still is the shit. And you can bet your arse the sequel will be 100% ace.

All I want in Oblivion is an online mode, but I won't hold my breath. I'll get the new game the moment it is launched.
'...where I come from, they didn't give us names....they called me IMDM instead..'

#50 monkeyman

monkeyman

Shadow Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30272 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:24 AM

Agreed that it was the shit and had some genuinely unique and awesome quests (going into the waterpainting for example).
Online mode? What kind of online mode?
Darkness covers all I see and touch, No feeling of pain just sorrow.
My hand loses grip of the sword I hold, And I turn to become a true shadow.

Posted Image

#51 UnbiasedLover

UnbiasedLover

Shadow

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2100 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

speedtree copypasta...

definition of Cyrodill right thar

#52 Sketch

Sketch

Damn!

• Moderators
  • 19488 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

Made in 2003 lolz.

#53 Disco Shrew

Disco Shrew

Bang.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2813 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

Theres an online mode mod floating around somewhere.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

Get out of here, Stalker. But don’t ever think we’ll forget what you did for us.

#54 Chief Grizzly

Chief Grizzly

Bear

• Members
  • 7244 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

The copy paste caves. And ruins did suck though

I was always torn with the ruins, as I really liked the look and atmosphere of them, but if you've seen one then you've seen them all. They should take a leaf out of Bioware's book in regards to the identikit bases in ME1 that were outside of the storyline; in ME2 they severely cut down how much you could explore around the galaxy but gave each area a much more focused, unique feel.

Then again, Bioware and Bethesda RPGs both have a very different agenda, so using the design principles of one doesn't really transfer to the other. Bioware RPGs are far more focused and story driven, whereas Bethesda really want you to create your own adventure, and to do that they need to create a huge world populated by a ton of stuff to do. To that end, it really wouldn't be feasible to create a world as large and detailed as Cyrodiil by hand, the man hours and production costs involved would just be insane. Games like Uncharted and Call of Duty can do that because they're so linear, whereas Oblivion and Fallout allows you to explore every nook and cranny at your will. Occasionally it is inevitable that some nooks are copypasted and some crannies just don't live up to expectations.

Posted Image

#55 Flave

Flave

Good grief!

• Members
  • 7500 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

Made in 2003 lolz.

Yeah, its an exaggeration, but Oblivion had pretty shitty animation for its time even. It was passable at the time. Were in 2010, New Vegas should not be using the same animations.

#56 UnbiasedLover

UnbiasedLover

Shadow

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2100 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:02 PM

Chief Grizzly states the obvious. But the towns should have more love put into them... and the forests need variety; for example very dense forested areas with open meadows here and there... An area called "the dark woods" or something to that effect where the forest canopy is much thicker than usual. Other areas should have miles of open meadows and rolling hills.

With Cyrodill it feels like they evenly speed tree'ed everywhere with no thought.

Edited by UnbiasedLover, 24 November 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#57 Chief Grizzly

Chief Grizzly

Bear

• Members
  • 7244 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:25 PM

Dude, Oblivion had all that kind of variation. If anything, the way that Bethesda crafted such a naturally varied landscapes is one of Oblivion's successes. There's the rolling hills of the Gold Coast, the gloomy marsh of Blackwood, the deciduous Great Forest and evergreen Colovian Highlands, the rugged Jerall Mountains and that iconic Heartlands with the Imperial City at its centre.

I can accept the fact that for you that might be too generic for a game set in a fantasy universe, but for me one of the great joys of Cyrodiil is how Bethesda nailed the natural aesthetic of various different kinds of wilderness and countryside. There variation is there to be appreciated, it just requires a little more input from the gamer to really enjoy it.

Posted Image

#58 UnbiasedLover

UnbiasedLover

Shadow

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2100 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

I thought it sucked asses and the Great Forest was huge wasted opportunity for some jungles with Elf villages built in the canopies of 200 meter tall ancient Redwoods.

Edited by UnbiasedLover, 24 November 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#59 IMostlyDoMurder

IMostlyDoMurder

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2477 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:20 AM

Agreed that it was the shit and had some genuinely unique and awesome quests (going into the waterpainting for example).
Online mode? What kind of online mode?

Team up with other players who bring their own inventories, characters and achievements with them into 'your' world so you can explore together etc.

#60 Henrick

Henrick

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3646 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:28 AM

Imagine if there was a way that you could play as IMDM suggested, but it went further than someone simply coming into 'your' world. As in, each character is aligned in some karma/reputation/faction based system by where NPC's react to you in certain ways due to ways that you complete quests, but that you friends reputations, i.e. other player characters also impact the way that NPC's view you if you're seen afilliating with them based on their choices. So say your buddy is a high level and you are a low level, and you want him to come along with you to collect some awesome loot because he can pew pew the baddies that you otherwise would not be able to kill, you'd have to weigh up getting unique items early in the game versus NPC's ignoring or refusing to work with you later on in the game's story because you've been seen working with this other guy.

Or even say, story quests simultaneously involved two player characters. You're working for some sort of Assassin's guild type thing and one of your quests is to take out another player who doesn't know it. At the same time there could be a bounty on your head. Or an NPC asks you to do a small quest/job for him, but he also gets an offer from another player that is of lower cost, then you have to barter or maybe do the quest co-operatively and split the reward.