7 replies to this topic

#1 prank munkey

prank munkey

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:20 AM

Super Meat Boy is a game where you play as a boy without skin whos girlfriend who is made of bandages gets kidnapped by a fetus in a tuxedo wearing a top hat and a monocle.

Super Meat Boy features platforming madness spanning over 300 levels of saws, disease, fire, lasers, missiles, and various other traps that Meat Boy must avoid to rescue is lady love.

Super Meat Boy is slated for release in Summer 2010 for XBLA, WiiWare, and PC.

Based on the original flash game, this infuriatingly addictive platformer ramps up the difficulty but cuts down or eliminates load times, making it all too easy to fall into the familiar 'just one more try' mentality, as demonstrated in this quick look. It also pays homage to classic videogames in its cutscenes, environments and secret warp zone levels, through which alternate characters from other indie darlings can be unlocked (such as Commander Video, Tim from Braid and a Castle Crasher) each with their own special abilities. Did I mention the awesome chiptune soundtrack?

I'm not usually taken in by the neverending quest to get better times/scores than your friends, or reach the top of the leaderboards, but this at least has me going back for more to get A+ on each level. Whether or not this will see me through the later, more brutal levels remains to be seen...

Originally set at 1200 MS points, it's on sale for its first month of release at 800 points.

Coming to Windows, OSX and Wiiware in the future.

Gameplay Montage
Team Meat Blawg

#2 Jack 17

Jack 17

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:16 AM

Holy christ, that looks like one hell of a platformer. Like a fusion between 'n and Super Mario. I'll definately grab it, or at least play it on a mate's 360, he loves these sorts of games.

#3 Flave

Flave

Good grief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7500 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:19 AM

Prank Monkey, you have a very similar taste in games. I was just about to make this topic, lol.

Anyways, its very very awesome, I just managed to get The Kid, but that final stage just crushed my balls.

#4 prank munkey

prank munkey

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

Get the soundtrack for $3.99, by Danny Baranowsky of Canabalt/Gravity Hook/HAWP fame.

#5 Jack 17

Jack 17

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:53 AM

I'll keep that in mind, thanks Prank Munkey.

#6 prank munkey

prank munkey

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

IWTBTG levels make me want to smash my Xbox over the level designer's head.

#7 Flave

Flave

Good grief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7500 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

I beat the first one, then turned my monitor off in fury and came back to it a day later to beat the other two, lol. Its probably harder than any stages I remember from IWBTG.

Also, I've beaten ever DARK WORLD cotton alley level, except for two, and I used to 40th place on 7-17X, but I've slid to 140 since. I am kicking ass and taking names at this game.

#8 prank munkey

prank munkey

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

I got to the third level after TWO HOURS. I rage quit.

Then I went to a party and drank too much and vomited on the pavement shortly before a fresh layer of snow fell, so it's in a nice little snow sandwich. When the thaw comes it will be as if I was just there! Or if the thaw never comes perhaps in thousands of years aliens will discover my vom and clone me from it.