1018 replies to this topic

#21 Choronzon

Choronzon

"He is Backstory, son of Exposition!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2444 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

Another day, another betrayal... Is IO trying to piss off as many long-time fans as possible here? There seems to be a recurring pattern for Absolution. "Out with the Old, in with the New". Let me tell you, Hollywood b-listers won't save you. Once again my fragile, somewhat recuperated faith in IO has taken another considerable blow. Marsha Thomason is hot and saucy, she "nailed Diana". What's the official word from IO on replacing someone as iconic and integral to the series as David Bateson?

Why still call this Hitman at this point? Vivienne McKee's gone, David Bateson's gone, Jesper Kyd's nowhere to be found... - Oh yeah, but Hitman is a marketable brand and still holds tons of financial viability and cross-market appeal.

Edited by Choronzon, 09 June 2011 - 10:37 AM.

I'm going to the shed. Time to bury the past.

Indication of triumph, the numbers that are dead
-- Slayer, 'War Ensemble'

When you talk to God, it's called prayer
When God talks to you, it's called schizophrenia.

#22 nlitement

nlitement

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Chronozon: Maybe this is just to piss us off so we can relate to the new "dynamic, personal" story about 47 being pissed off, going rogue making noise, and chasing/being chased by some people? Sort of like C- ohhhhhhhh snap can't mention it without getting flamed!

Edited by nlitement, 09 June 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#23 abeg

abeg

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2486 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Well we still have hope guys. I mean, maybe the journalist working for edge was deaf or something. Maybe he just assumed Bateson isn't the guy doing voice-over.

Funny thing is, there is a similiar thing going on in our country. There's this popular announcer who has been the voice of Finnish Ice hockey for 15 years, and now when the rights for Ice Hockey television rights change, he probably won't be the announcer anymore. Everyone who watches ice hockey but doesn't know much about it want him to stay, but those who do know a bit more about it don't care if he gets replaced or not. Basically It's the same in this. Most of the people won't buy the game if Bateson isn't doing the voice-over work, and few, who know there are lots of voice actors with similar low-pitched voices, don't think it matters the overall quality of the game.

But it doesn't make sense. Why would he not have the time to make voice over for a game? He want's more money or what? No intrest anymore? IO want change? What? This sucks. Fuck this game :P. Lara craft here I cum!

I knew it. IOI just thought "Let's try to keep this as a secret as long as possible so the sales won't go down so much"

I also hope Jesper Kyd does not take part in this perversion...

:lol:

Edited by abeg, 09 June 2011 - 10:41 AM.

#24 Mistah47

Mistah47

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

Well, at least Mertaranta had the honor of commentating during two Finnish gold championships.

Yeah, well, so did Bateson.. sort of :)

I would've wanted to see Bateson in this not only for the game, but for the sake of his own career. He's one of those actors that aren't really popular and whose career (is probably) going downhill.

#25 music is math

music is math

Shadow

• Moderators
  • 2159 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

Even if they already hired actors to do the motion capture and voice acting at the same time (i.e. Uncharted), how much could it really cost them to have David Bateson read 47's lines and then dub those over the motion capture performance they're currently using? A few thousand dollars? I guess the goodwill of the series' long-time fans isn't worth a tiny fraction of the game's overall production budget.

#26 Vindex

Vindex

Ex consilio magnitudo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

Vivienne McKee's gone, David Bateson's gone, Jesper Kyd's nowhere to be found...

sigh.

#27 your name my bullet

your name my bullet

Thug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

I'm getting the feeling he's not. For one thing, he's busy with the yearly Assassin's Creed games.

unfortunately your also right "long - time series composer jesper Kyd will not be working on absolution, with IO instead working with danish composer duo Peter peter and peter keyd" :(

things just keep getting worse yet they keep insisting the old hitman we know and love is still there but with no Bateson and kyd i find it hard to believe !

#28 abeg

abeg

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2486 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

Even if they already hired actors to do the motion capture and voice acting at the same time (i.e. Uncharted), how much could it really cost them to have David Bateson read 47's lines and then dub those over the motion capture performance they're currently using? A few thousand dollars? I guess the goodwill of the series' long-time fans isn't worth a tiny fraction of the game's overall production budget.

fucking sucks. Why would they hire a random dude doing the motion capture and decide he will be the voice for it. Are they mentally retarded? It's understandble if he's greedy and IO don't want him or if he have no time, or is busy with some theatrical shit. Why would he, when it's more then a year before the game ships? Fuck this, booooh

Edited by abeg, 09 June 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#29 Coot

Coot

640509-040147

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

I don't believe it.. I don't believe it.. I don't believe it.. I don't believe it.. I don't believe it.. I don't believe it.. I don't believe it.. I don't believe it.. I don't believe it.....
"Now listen to the city. If anyone mentions the girl, you know what to do"

#30 Oswald

Oswald

Henchman

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Oswald, 09 June 2011 - 10:53 AM.

#31 nlitement

nlitement

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Yeah, IOI is like Gaddafi now. They can make all the lip service announcements they want to convince people they're doing the right thing, but there's no going back. Game's ruined. Doesn't matter if it's "good" as a game, it's not a fucking Hitman game without Kyd, Bateson, and McKee. Sure, Conviction was a fine game, but it didn't need the Splinter Cell title.

Why not just call this game Shitman, and then release a REAL HITMAN sequel to the real fans without any of this crap?

Edited by nlitement, 09 June 2011 - 10:46 AM.

#32 Expert

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1864 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

Splinter Cell Conviction is a game who was very profitable for Ubisoft.

Edited by Expert, 09 June 2011 - 10:54 AM.

Et la Lumière fut

#33 Shaffy

Shaffy

Not of This World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

Why would Bateson have said this?

Maybe a last minute recast, but I'll only believe it when I hear officially, I couldn't believe IO would do something a stupid as recasting 47.
Posted Image
'Names are for friends, so I don't need one.'

#34 Choronzon

Choronzon

"He is Backstory, son of Exposition!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2444 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

Maybe this is just to piss us off so we can relate to the new "dynamic, personal" story about 47 being pissed off, going rogue making noise, and chasing/being chased by some people?

Even if it was, it doesn't excuse the fact that IO seems to be systematically removing every cornerstone/pillar that made this particular franchise what it is. We are losing basic foundational pieces of a franchise here. David Bateson is 47, his professional career pretty much revolved around the Hitman series. I can live with Diana Burnwood being replaced by a young and sparkly face. As I mentioned above, Marsha Thomason is definitely easy on the eyes and her accent is sultry, veritable audio erotica. I have made my peace with that change. Doing it because of the "dynamic and personal" storyline would be idiotic. Past games had similar plotlines - why put Bateson on a non-disclosure contract during all these years with the fans pining away for the tiniest shred of information? Was he given a golden handshake and "godspeed" for services rendered in past episodes? What's the official explanation of this travesty? Nick, shed light on this dubious decision, friend.

Changing something as important, integral and recognizable as the main character, for the sake of "appealing to a wider audience" and courting Hollywood is idiotic. If that IO's goal and future vision for this franchise, I recommend them to think about it again. Hollywood is known to mangle, break and spit out someone/something once it has outlived its usefulness. This is doing irrepairable harm to one of the greatest and most respected somewhat stealth-oriented franchises on the scene. I'm not sure how much fan goodwill it will take to overcome this blasphemy if it is indeed official.

Edited by Choronzon, 09 June 2011 - 10:51 AM.

I'm going to the shed. Time to bury the past.

Indication of triumph, the numbers that are dead
-- Slayer, 'War Ensemble'

When you talk to God, it's called prayer
When God talks to you, it's called schizophrenia.

#35 your name my bullet

your name my bullet

Thug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

really intrested to see how IO addresses this , it surely couldnt have been IO's idea could it ? surely they were forced into the decision !

#36 Welcome

Welcome

Thug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

Another day, another betrayal... Is IO trying to piss off as many long-time fans as possible here? There seems to be a recurring pattern for Absolution. "Out with the Old, in with the New". Let me tell you, Hollywood b-listers won't save you. Once again my fragile, somewhat recuperated faith in IO has taken another considerable blow. Marsha Thomason is hot and saucy, she "nailed Diana". What's the official word from IO on replacing someone as iconic and integral to the series as David Bateson?

Why still call this Hitman at this point? Vivienne McKee's gone, David Bateson's gone, Jesper Kyd's nowhere to be found... - Oh yeah, but Hitman is a marketable brand and still holds tons of financial viability and cross-market appeal.

I'm having pretty much same feelings than you about this, but I try to think it differently. Some bands suck after lineup changes, but some turn out to be even better. And I sincerely hope that in case of Hitman, the last option will be true. It will indeed be hard to replace Diana and 47, and when Jesper Kyd isn't doing the soundtrack everything can seem fucked up. Especially after the short action-filled gameplay sneak peak. But still, Blood Money's trailers were also full of massacring people. This can still turn out to be another masterpiece to continue the Hitman series. Despite my hype towards this game has decreased massively, I'm still going to give this game a chance, no matter what it looks up front. If they manage to make it great, then it's... great. If not, afterwards I'm just going to be disappointed when another great gameseries has turned into shit, and not buy any future titles unless they turn out to be made like the older ones.

IO, even if it seems like everything is falling apart, make Absolution great and everyone will be convinced that Hitman shall be awesome even without Bateson, Kyd and McKee.

Edited by Welcome, 09 June 2011 - 10:54 AM.

#37 Mistah47

Mistah47

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

I also hope Jesper Kyd does not take part in this perversion...

:lol:

Basically we're all in this IOI cruise ship that's sinking. Everybody wants to jump off, but stay in it to hear what the crew has to stay.

#38 Nick@IO

Nick@IO

Professional

• Io-Interactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

So, we're not working with Bateson on anything at the moment. I've been told that we will share more in time but this is all that's coming out right now.
--------
Nick
The IOI Community Guy

#39 Bam

Bam

aka bamboozle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Seeing that both Daniel and Nick are reading this right now, I can be an asshole and say "Hitman is dead", but I'll say this instead:

Make sure it's worth it. :)
- zasku

#40 Coot

Coot

640509-040147

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

[senseless post]

Edited by Coot, 09 June 2011 - 10:56 AM.

"Now listen to the city. If anyone mentions the girl, you know what to do"