46 replies to this topic

#1 IMostlyDoMurder

IMostlyDoMurder

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2477 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:45 AM

Any of you guys write fiction etc on here in a meaningful way?

Just need ideas about what to write about. I'm quite keen on something sci-fi, maybe the Warhammer 40K universe or say something based on Supreme Commander type universe.

Alternatively the James Bond/Sam Fisher/Clancy world of espionage seems attractive?

Thing is, these are hellish detailed worlds already, so I would need to know or be able to print off a lot of stuff to firs tread up my subject before beginning to write.

If I give it a go I will try to post some extracts on here for yous.
'...where I come from, they didn't give us names....they called me IMDM instead..'

#2 Alien

Alien

Death Cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:49 AM

How about some post-apocalyptic stuff? I write random stuff that take place in the Fallout world; saves me the hassle of creating an alternate universe and then nuking the hell out of it.

With black terror propaganda

#3 IMostlyDoMurder

IMostlyDoMurder

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2477 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

Hmmm, yeah , had not thought of that. Something set in Stalker perhaps?
'...where I come from, they didn't give us names....they called me IMDM instead..'

#4 Alien

Alien

Death Cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:00 AM

Yeah, why not. Just detonate another nuclear plant somewhere, wait 15 years or so, and do your thing. Or just go with Chernobyl/Pripyat.

The possibilities are endless.

Edited by Jäggernaut, 17 August 2011 - 06:02 AM.

#5 Dark Sider

Dark Sider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10491 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

Star wars. You know you wanna.

#6 Henrick

Henrick

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3646 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:21 AM

I write fiction and publish in a few literary journals here in Australia. Mainly political/critical dystopias as the majority of Australian short fiction is yawn worthy in some of the major magazines. 'Oh I left my husband. Oh I'm sad and middle aged'. Blah blah.

Everything depends on how serious you are. My advice would be:

- Read critically as much as possible in the genre you're attempting. Identify techniques that authors use to build their worlds and how you can adopt them into your own writing.

- Try to come up with some original ideas. To some extend everything has been 'done before' but try coming up with your own characters, plots and settings instead of writing straight into a world that has already been created for you. Again, depends on how much work you want to put into it. If it's just for your own enjoyment and you aren't looking to publish anywhere then writing fan-fic is probably fine.

- Try to find your own voice and style instead of attempting to imitate something you like. Readers are always looking for an original voice. If you try to copy someone else you're only going to end up with a copy that is of a lesser quality.

- Don't pick up ideas and write stories about things that simply sound cool. Not everybody shares your taste. Write stories that matter to you. A reader can tell the difference and will appreciate when you cut the bullshit.

- Edit your work properly. Nothing worse than coming across spelling errors or badly structured sentences.

Some things to think about...

#7 IMostlyDoMurder

IMostlyDoMurder

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2477 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

I write fiction and publish in a few literary journals here in Australia. Mainly political/critical dystopias as the majority of Australian short fiction is yawn worthy in some of the major magazines. 'Oh I left my husband. Oh I'm sad and middle aged'. Blah blah.

Everything depends on how serious you are. My advice would be:

- Read critically as much as possible in the genre you're attempting. Identify techniques that authors use to build their worlds and how you can adopt them into your own writing.

- Try to come up with some original ideas. To some extend everything has been 'done before' but try coming up with your own characters, plots and settings instead of writing straight into a world that has already been created for you. Again, depends on how much work you want to put into it. If it's just for your own enjoyment and you aren't looking to publish anywhere then writing fan-fic is probably fine.

- Try to find your own voice and style instead of attempting to imitate something you like. Readers are always looking for an original voice. If you try to copy someone else you're only going to end up with a copy that is of a lesser quality.

- Don't pick up ideas and write stories about things that simply sound cool. Not everybody shares your taste. Write stories that matter to you. A reader can tell the difference and will appreciate when you cut the bullshit.

- Edit your work properly. Nothing worse than coming across spelling errors or badly structured sentences.

Some things to think about...

Thanks guys, the above is particularly useful.

At this stage, I will only be writing for myself maybe to post some of it here for the fun of it. I don't know if my prose is really that good to dare contemplate releasing it commercially. Interesting concept of 'voice', and I understand what interests me might not be anyone elses cup of tea.

Half of the appeal of writing fiction, to me at least, is I can explore a reality that is limited only by my own imagination. I'm a logical kind of guy so something highly fictional would have to be at least partially explained using real world physics etc, so transporting a huge mech through a slip gate to another planet would be rather easier on the brain than somehow explaining to the reader how a man has managed to walk on water if you get my drift.

The Stalker universe is pretty cool. The idea of people living and roaming such an area, and banding together has a very carnal appeal to it, sort of hunter-gathering type of tribal existence that just happens to have modern weapons and technology added. The mystique of Chernobyl too, is something that I find very interesting.

If anyone has some ideas of what they are working on personally, I'd be obliged if you would outline them here and also explain what sort of background work you have done with them, if any. I guess if you were real enthusiastic you could just put the pen to work and hey presto off you go.

#8 Choked

Choked

Fairweather Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11027 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:06 AM

I'm about 6ft, that's not too big, but bigger that a lot of people.

#9 Choronzon

Choronzon

"He is Backstory, son of Exposition!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2444 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

There's plenty of stuff to help you along with way with characters, narrative structures, tropes, etc at TVTropes.org .

One golden advice I remember is: write about what you know.
I'm going to the shed. Time to bury the past.

Indication of triumph, the numbers that are dead
-- Slayer, 'War Ensemble'

When you talk to God, it's called prayer
When God talks to you, it's called schizophrenia.

#10 IMostlyDoMurder

IMostlyDoMurder

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2477 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

There's plenty of stuff to help you along with way with characters, narrative structures, tropes, etc at TVTropes.org .

One golden advice I remember is: write about what you know.

Thanks, that is very useful.

#11 Numbers

Numbers

Bigmouth Strikes Again

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4469 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

I'm Stephen King.

Just sayin'

A dreaded sunny day.

#12 7H3R0F1C0P73R

7H3R0F1C0P73R

water bear

• Members
  • 4190 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:04 AM

Definitely post in CC, man.
"a healthy of common sense" - Cerb

#13 Charm & Strange

Charm & Strange

up, down, top, bottom

• Tech Support Staff
  • 5302 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:42 AM

I'm Stephen King.
Posted Image

#14 Fonzie

Fonzie

Virgin Evil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3866 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

I am God.

Only wrote one book, that's true, but many people would kill for it. Come to think of it, they already have.
Blow out the candles on all my Frankensteins
At least my death wish will come true
You taste like Valentine's

#15 Numbers

Numbers

Bigmouth Strikes Again

• Members
  • 4469 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

I'm Stephen King.

No, I'm Stephen King.

A dreaded sunny day.

#16 Alien

Alien

Death Cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

I am God.

Only wrote one book, that's true, but many people would kill for it. Come to think of it, they already have.

I thought you wrote like 3 or much more than that?

#17 Silencer13

Silencer13

Thug

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

Any of you guys write fiction etc on here in a meaningful way?

Just need ideas about what to write about. I'm quite keen on something sci-fi, maybe the Warhammer 40K universe or say something based on Supreme Commander type universe.

Alternatively the James Bond/Sam Fisher/Clancy world of espionage seems attractive?

Thing is, these are hellish detailed worlds already, so I would need to know or be able to print off a lot of stuff to firs tread up my subject before beginning to write.

If I give it a go I will try to post some extracts on here for yous.

Here's an idea for you: Write about a Hitman story! Yeah! Write about a Hitman story that would actually interest Hitman players. It could be what you think will be of Absolution. Take your time, if you want we'll give you ideas about what to write. You don't have to use this idea, though.

Definitely post in CC, man.

I take it this is Creative Corner? Yes.
Posted Image

You know why a gun is better than a wife?
You can put a silencer on a gun.

#18 JaRDoS

JaRDoS

Digitally Enhanced

• Super Admin
  • 14607 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

I got to chat with Matthew Farrer once about how he got started writing for Games Workshop and basically he started with small, short stories and eventually ended up on novels when one of his stories went 800% over word limit. Upon analysis it's a pretty good way to start with any world because regardless of whether you write for an existing world or one you're making yourself, it's going to have to be complicated to be believable.

He also stressed that it's not necessarily the fine details that people reading regarding an existing world's material will be focused on but rather the core concepts. Nothing is lamer than a 40K story about a world which is technically correct in terms of terminology, fluff science, etc but instead of focusing on the grim, dark, xenophobic and fascist future decides to set itself on a world where the people have embraced democracy, freedom of speech and peaceful relationships with aliens.

That and while conventional wisdom says "Write what you know.", I would propose it is better to learn about what you're writing.

Unless you're writing an auto-biography and have had a genuinely interesting enough life that you think people will actually want to read about it.

Posted Image
"If you continue to selfishly evade me, it's going to reflect badly in your file."

#19 Mad Max

Mad Max

Road Warrior

• Members
  • 6005 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

Nothing is lamer than a 40K story about a world which is technically correct in terms of terminology, fluff science, etc but instead of focusing on the grim, dark, xenophobic and fascist future decides to set itself on a world where the people have embraced democracy, freedom of speech and peaceful relationships with aliens.

Superman is more believable than that.
“Whose property is my body? Probably mine. I so regard it. If I experiment with it, who must be answerable? I, not the State. If I choose injudiciously, does the State die? Oh no.”

—Mark Twain

#20 JaRDoS

JaRDoS

Digitally Enhanced

• Super Admin
  • 14607 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

Superman is more believable than that.

It's not that I expect realism from the fiction that inspired:

Posted Image

(Alternative version here)

But generally speaking people read the 40K stuff to read about a world that is horrible, oppressive, super-dangerous and absurdly macho. Writing it any other way just fails to recognize audience expectations and comes across as narcissistic literary masturbation.

Posted Image
"If you continue to selfishly evade me, it's going to reflect badly in your file."