Garrett 2.0

Vik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2325 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

Posted Image

Taken from the kickstarter page:

Wasteland 2 is the direct sequel to the first ever post-apocalyptic computer RPG. The original Wasteland was the inspiration for the FALLOUT series of games, and the first RPG to allow players to split parties for tactical considerations, to face players with moral choices, and to make them deal with the consequences of their actions. It was the first to provide far more than the one-key-for-one-lock style of puzzle solving. It was groundbreaking, which is why IGN named it one of the top 25 PC games of all time, Computer Gaming World named it the Adventure Game of the year in 1988, and it was short-listed for inclusion in the Smithsonian Institution’s current “Art of the Computer Game” exhibition.

This is probably the last chance for a Wasteland sequel. We have tried to pitch this game multiple times to game publishers, but they’ve balked. They don’t think there’s any interest in a solid, old school type of game. This is our shot at proving them wrong. And more importantly this could help bring back an entire genre of RPGs. The power of the Indie scene continues and we see this as all part of a bigger trend of bringing control back to the developers.

Recommendations from other devs:

"I’m personally a big fan of the Wasteland series from having played the original game in the late 80s; I’ve also always admired Brian Fargo’s courage to experiment with new designs and game engines from my time working with him in the early days of BioWare when we worked with Interplay, and as a result I’m really looking forward to seeing the next game in the Wasteland series!" - Ray Muzyka - CEO Bioware

"Hats off to Fargo and inXile, I'm definitely putting my money down when they start up their Kickstarter fund, and I'll donate just as much as I did to Double Fine. Give me Wasteland 2 already." - Chris Avellone - RPG designer extraordinaire

"Brian was one of the pioneers for the computer RPG with games like Bard's Tale and Wasteland. I would be very excited to see what Brian could achieve with a sequel to such a classic like the first Wasteland." - Rob Pardo - Executive Vice President of Game Design, Blizzard Entertainment

Kickstarter Wasteland page, with a cool video by Brian Fargo and info.

Rock Paper Shotgun interview with Fargo on Wasteland 2

So yeah guys, Brian Fargo and co. wants to bring the classic rpg back and I think these guys can really pull it off. Their kickstarter page went live yesterday and already they got more than 500k out of the 900k, which is the minimum needed. Hell, even I am going to throw in my 15 bucks to see this thing happen. If you enjoy good games and want to see a good Fallout-like squad based post nuclear game that pulls no punches, help make it happen via kickstarter.

Posted Image

Thanks Tim Schaffer, you may have saved gaming.

Edited by Garrett 2.0, 14 March 2012 - 01:22 AM.

Well some things you find "silly" I find logical. The thread doesn't say what games I have played but my top 10. sorry for liking a game series, with a  game that hasn't been released yet. And yes it does deserves to be there just because I bought it. I know it will be far better than HM Absolution and maybe better than HM6 (Probably not, but again it might)

#2 Sclera

Sclera

rohan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15344 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

FUCK

YES

#3 Grim

Grim

★★★★★

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5937 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

Posted Image

#4 Disco Shrew

Disco Shrew

Bang.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2813 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:45 AM

Posted Image

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

Get out of here, Stalker. But don’t ever think we’ll forget what you did for us.

#5 monkeyman

monkeyman

Shadow Warrior

• Members
  • 30272 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

Never played Wasteland. Should I?
Darkness covers all I see and touch, No feeling of pain just sorrow.
My hand loses grip of the sword I hold, And I turn to become a true shadow.

Posted Image

#6 Sketch

Sketch

Damn!

• Moderators
  • 19488 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Many consider it the precursor to Fallout, and it's free on Abandonware sites now, so your choice really!

#7 Burial Agent

Burial Agent

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Posted Image

#8 Black glasses

Black glasses

Living legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

It's almost at 700 000 already, and still 33 days to go. Probably won't take long before they reach the 900 grands.
I'm not sure if I'm interested yet, but at least the idea is cool. I'll see when theyactually show something/start developing.

Sadly another great project at Kickstarter is not getting much attention nor money: the crowdsourced hardcore tactical shooter. They are trying to make a game similiar to the original Rainbow Six games, you know, tactical and hardcore. Get shot once and you die, none of this today's Wolverine health system. And there is a planning stage before the actual action, although it has been always skippable in R6, so it could be skippable here too. The devs have been working on the original R6 games, Ghost Recon and other such games, so there is talent involved.
When you kill for money, there are no rules.

The Small fixes thread. IOI employees and Hitman developers, please take a look at the thread. At the moment there are about 80 small or smallish things that the fans would like to see improved. Many would improve gameplay and shouldn't be too difficult to fix before Absolution is released.
http://www.hitmanfor...s/#entry1462443

Posted Image

#9 Best for Hire

Best for Hire

Master Thief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

This is awesome!!! And I thought Fallout was my only hope for a good post-apocalyptic game! This is going to be awesome!!!

Never played Wasteland. Should I?

YES!! If you consider yourself a gamer, do it, NOW

Edited by Best for Hire, 14 March 2012 - 01:48 PM.

"What's yours, can be mine."

#10 Needles

Needles

For real. No joke!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7921 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

monk, do you consider yourself a bad enough gamer?
I am exciting for the upcoming of the BF3. Hope that they will release as early as now.
Posted Image
I ONLY NOW GOOGLE AND YAHOO
get the fuck off the child molester

#11 monkeyman

monkeyman

Shadow Warrior

• Members
  • 30272 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

I don't think I'm bad enough :(
Darkness covers all I see and touch, No feeling of pain just sorrow.
My hand loses grip of the sword I hold, And I turn to become a true shadow.

Posted Image

#12 Surgical Scar

Surgical Scar

Self-Publicist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9201 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

Already over $900,000 with 33 days to go.

Aw. Shit. Nigga.

A Fallout: New Vegas Quest Mod

Strangers Abroad

#13 Disco Shrew

Disco Shrew

Bang.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2813 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

$1,044,937 right now.

Get out of here, Stalker. But don’t ever think we’ll forget what you did for us.

#14 Disco Shrew

Disco Shrew

Bang.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2813 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Red Storm Entertainment Shoote? Return of the good rainbow sixes?

#15 Sclera

Sclera

rohan

• Members
  • 15344 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

this is not a kickstarter thread

#16 Disco Shrew

Disco Shrew

Bang.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2813 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

I know, but seemed a logical place for it to pick up traffic of people who appreciate it.

#17 Garrett 2.0

Garrett 2.0

Vik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2325 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

Amazing how steadily the money flows in, I guess in a few days it will pass the 1,5 million mark. The team will really have to deliver a grand game now.

As for the tactical shooter, this is where kickstarter fails. If you're not a Tim Schafer or a Brian Fargo and if you don't own rights to a beloved series, chances are nobody will give a shit. Plus the guy asks for 200k, which will only start the studio, not finance the whole game. So chances are that even if he'd raise the 200k, the investors might still ignore the project. Doesn't seem like people give a shit either, which is a bit of shame considering I'd love to play something like Rainbow Six 3 or SWAT 4.

Well some things you find "silly" I find logical. The thread doesn't say what games I have played but my top 10. sorry for liking a game series, with a  game that hasn't been released yet. And yes it does deserves to be there just because I bought it. I know it will be far better than HM Absolution and maybe better than HM6 (Probably not, but again it might)

#18 Garrett 2.0

Garrett 2.0

Vik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2325 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Shit has passed the 1,5 million mark.

For those who haven't played the original but are curious to know more about it, Eurogamer offers a Wasteland 1 retrospective.

#19 IMostlyDoMurder

IMostlyDoMurder

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2477 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

Looks good. Will keep an eye open for this.
'...where I come from, they didn't give us names....they called me IMDM instead..'

#20 Garrett 2.0

Garrett 2.0

Vik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2325 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

From RPS:

Here’s a big, bouncy ball of unexpected good news for you. Brian Fargo and his studio inXile Entertainment are, as you well know, working on a sequel to the seminal RPG Wasteland, and have successfully Kickstarted it to the tune of $1.6 million. Since exceeding their initial target of $900,000, they’ve been able to add Mac and Linux versions to their masterplan for the post-nuclear roleplaying game. But that’s not all. They’ve just been in touch to say that, if they can reach $2.1 million during the 17 days remaining on the funding schedule, they’ll be bringing in Obisidian Entertainment, including Planescape: Torment mastermind Chris Avellone, to help them make the game.

Oh my word. The minds behind Fallout and Planescape, together. A veritable RPG supergroup. This has to happen.

Says Chris Avellone, “Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance. While I’ve worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual successor to the Fallout franchise is a honor.”

Brian Fargo observes that “I have a history with the guys at Obsidian that dates back to the days of Interplay’s Black Isle studios. Together we created some of the greatest RPG’s of all time, from Fallout 1 & 2 to titles like Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. It is great that we now have a chance to reunite on a project like Wasteland 2.”

It’s about tools to speed up and ease development as much as it is bringing in addition talent, apparently. “Obsidian has an incredible library of story, dialog and design tools that they have used to create hits like Neverwinter Nights 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, and of course, Fallout: New Vegas. Regardless of the tech we use to develop the game, experience with these tools will help us efficiently design the game without wasting time and resources on the tools needed for development.”

This is also good news for Obisidian, hopefully, who recently suffered a round of lay-offs. Hopefully this can help get them back to fighting strength.

So, you know what to do. 2012 really is the most extraordinary year for PC gaming, isn’t it?

I'm speechless.