We've all known that the previous Hitman games have had a wide array of weapons, there's not doubt Absolution will feature the same.
One thing I noticed, however, is that non-stealth weapons are for more abundant than stealth ones.
Let's admit some things;
I) A gamer who plays Hitman the way it was meant to be played will only use stealth weapons (when playing seriously, see IIb below)
II) The non-stealth weapons only served 2 purposes:
a) A trophy collection (we all admired looking at our garden shed filled to the brim with shiny guns)
c) To use on Rambo playthroughs (people who had completed the game SA style then just wanted to create bloodbaths)
III) The broken shooting mechanics and unpolished gunplay of the previous games discouraged the use of non-stealth weapons even more.
> I've noticed this is a trend on lots of stealth games. For instance, DTS only has 1 silenced pistol (yes, ridiculous, I know). There are 8 non-silenced pistols available that are virtually useless because the game has horrendously bad gunplay.
>Below is a weapon's list for Blood Money. (put in spoilers to save space). You can easily see how the number of non-stealth weapons is greater than stealth ones.
Reasons why I think non-stealth weapons are more prominent:
1) For realism; the guards and other NPCs need to be armed... but thugs and guard don't usually need silenced guns.
2) Absolution will have revamped gunplay, thus making firefight playthroughs more enjoyable and common
3) Hitman has always encouraged choice, but the choice of running-and-gunning was pointless in past titles. Admit it, the shooting gameplay was lackluster (the stealth gameplay was awesome, though)
Stealth weapons in the series:
I just think there should be more in addition to the ever-familiar:
- Fibre Wire
- Silenced pistols (SLP.40, etc.)
So, the main thing is:
Hitman = stealth game, yet majority of weapons are useless for stealth
So wouldn't it be more productive to have a greater selection of stealth weapons to enhance the genuine gameplay?
It's obvious IO would want to encourage stealth gameplay, yet the games are loaded with desert eagles, shotguns, assault rifles, and other things that 47 wouldn't be caught dead using during a mission because of their super loud reports and unconcealable nature.
Wouldn't it be more faithful if the stealth-repetoir was enhanced? More silenced pistols? Grappling hooks? Combat knives?
More stuff on weapons, things to consider:
- In BM, the only sniper that was concealable was the W200 via suitcase. All other sniper rifles had to be picked up from ICA crates and were utterly useless because you'd wreak havoc the moment you walked around with one. Hopefully the suitcase system returns, and 47 doesn't hide sniper rifles in his magic pockets.
- I really like how the improvised weapon system gives alternate stealth options. I know that a bong to the head is not so subtle... but using electrical cord to strangle someone is quite nice and adds to immersion
- will 47 be able to unscrew and attach silencers at will? (Credit to Habit for brining this up)
* I apologize if a thread like this already exists
* This thread can also be used for productive discussion regarding the game's weapons in general
* I am not trying to bash Absolution, I adore the game immensley. I am just curious as to why the weapons are the way they are.
Edited by Aeseric, 30 July 2012 - 01:45 PM.