• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 hitmanharry

hitmanharry

Pickpocket

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:54 AM

What do we know of the rating system? I couldn't find something on this forum about it. With the rating system I mean the points you get for a kill.

In the streets of hope demo you see a part of the rating system. How many point you get for all the actions. You get for example 25.000 for the kill. 15.000 for the objective. 10.000 for the undetective bonus. 2.500 for the silence kill.

Posted Image

Does anybody know what kind of point you get for the other actions? How many point for the penalties? And what does a pascification penalty mean? What is the difference between a undetective bonus and a silence kill?

Does anybody know something about the challenges?

Feel free to ask more questions.

Edited by hitmanharry, 08 August 2012 - 01:59 AM.

#2 Watson

Watson

The Maltese Falcon

• Super Moderators
  • 4120 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:31 AM

It's a shame they decided to move away from the statistical mission display and opted for a "points" focused visualization. Things like "Objective bonus" and "Target bonus" seem redundant.
"Ah, nuts. I'm an actor."
– Humphrey Bogart

Posted Image
-Silent Assassin

#3 Acid_Operative

Acid_Operative

'Sup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:49 AM

I actually prefer the new points system, it keeps you going back to replay levels in a different way or to complete challenges to get higher points. Didn't really care about the end mission stats that much(unless I'm aiming for SA).
Thank you IO Interactive for bringing back David Bateson

#4 Kotti

Kotti

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

It's a shame they decided to move away from the statistical mission display and opted for a "points" focused visualization. Things like "Objective bonus" and "Target bonus" seem redundant.

This. I like the idea of leaderboards but am not a fan of the scoring system. I'd much rather have the leaderboards track stats so you could search for categories you're interested in. For example you could look for runs that achieved SA without disguises and as a resultsee how many people have done it and how their other stats were.

#5 Silenter

Silenter

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:45 AM

I have to admit that I don't get used to it, too. At least since I still haven't had a chance to play the game and give it try. On the first look I just don't like those highscore pop-ups evaluating the action you just have done, because to me it doesn't fit well with a Hitman game, atmospheric-wise. It's something I'd rather expect to see in a game like the good old Time Crisis or some Jump 'n Run game collecting some coins or for doing a good combo move.

As I said, as long as the game doesn't get released I say this without any reservation, but my first thoughts on that feature were anything else but positive.

#6 Schiller aka Pmodgill

Schiller aka Pmodgill

Professional

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

I quite like the Points System.

Consider it as an added bonus for replayability.

I know that i am gonna replay each level like 100 times atleast. Find every single way to painfully kill targets.

When i am done, i will replay again and sneak and kill every NPC in every single level and make a mountain of them and blow them sky high with strategically placed mines.

Muhahahahahhaha. cant wait

"At the next Hitman game coming, they tried a person in charge with passion and balls to rethink (Not me), but alas he was removed and K & L management has taken over. It does not bode well for IO and Hitman's future." -- Former IOI employee "Voodooman"

See User Scores Urself, don't be fooled by Graphics, 6.6 Average Rating. An utter failure and Death of a fantastic Franchise. RIP HITMAN FRANCHISE 2000-2006. LONG LIVE THE KING, THE KING IS DEAD

#7 Hitman13371337

Hitman13371337

merces letifer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:57 AM

I would feel better if the point would be $$ :D
__
24" BenQ xl2420t
intel core i5-3550
asrock h77 pro 4/mvp
kingston hyperx pc3-12800-1600 16gb
gigabyte geforce gtx 680-OC

#8 Noc

Noc

Tricker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:09 AM

I quite like the Points System.

Consider it as an added bonus for replayability.

I know that i am gonna replay each level like 100 times atleast. Find every single way to painfully kill targets.

When i am done, i will replay again and sneak and kill every NPC in every single level and make a mountain of them and blow them sky high with strategically placed mines.

Muhahahahahhaha. cant wait

You watch Auzziegamer ? :D

#9 Friedmann Kaiser

Friedmann Kaiser

Walking Dead Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:15 AM

You watch Auzziegamer ? :D

I was about to ask that too.

FriedmannKaiser.png

#10 Noc

Noc

Tricker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:23 AM

I was about to ask that too.

Damn he is freaking funny :P isn't he ? Anyway the points system seems legit and it makes room for replayability ! I cant wait to go back to my city and DL sniper chalenge for my pc :S

#11 Wade2012

Wade2012

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

I think the points system is a good idea. It'll help new players learn what the "wrong" things to do are, like killing civilians or killing guards to get to your objective. And if the points are connected to a shop of some sort, I'll be even happier.

#12 Creaky

Creaky

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

It's one of those things I'll have to see and experience for myself before I can form an opinion that means anything.

It could prove inspired, or it could totally kill the mood. They obviously think it's a smart move, so hopefully it will prove interesting. The challenge system should give it some legs, at least (and is, I suspect, the chief reason for a more detailed, numerical breakdown).

The main downside I can see is the way the game makes the scoring system so integral to the main game play experience, with the little box in the corner (though hopefully that can be removed) that tells you your current score and any modifiers. I can see that becoming annoying pretty quickly - I'd have rather it all be saved until the end.

I'm glad, however, they don't seem to be awarding points for headshot combos or something horrible like that. It looks pretty Hitman-y in spirit, even if the mechanics are new.

#13 Watson

Watson

The Maltese Falcon

• Super Moderators
  • 4120 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

it keeps you going back to replay levels in a different way

and the old stats system didn't?
"Ah, nuts. I'm an actor."
– Humphrey Bogart

Posted Image
-Silent Assassin

#14 HitmanCam

HitmanCam

Mercenary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

It's one of those things I'll have to see and experience for myself before I can form an opinion that means anything.

It could prove inspired, or it could totally kill the mood. They obviously think it's a smart move, so hopefully it will prove interesting. The challenge system should give it some legs, at least (and is, I suspect, the chief reason for a more detailed, numerical breakdown).

The main downside I can see is the way the game makes the scoring system so integral to the main game play experience, with the little box in the corner (though hopefully that can be removed) that tells you your current score and any modifiers. I can see that becoming annoying pretty quickly - I'd have rather it all be saved until the end.

I'm glad, however, they don't seem to be awarding points for headshot combos or something horrible like that. It looks pretty Hitman-y in spirit, even if the mechanics are new.

I am hoping that you can disable the annoying little score display aswell. I don't mind pausing the game to see my score, but having it constantly displayed could give you this forceful feeling that you are always being ranked worldwide and pressure you into playing too seriously instead of enjoying yourself. Then again, haven't had it in my hands yet so I could be wrong.

#15 Nitro

Nitro

American Gladiator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Yeah this screen is interesting, I studied it a bit before. My two cents in a nutshell:

1. They obviously haven't finalized yet how the scoring will work... you can see it's a work in progress by virtue of things like the "text id" tags and such. But this screen I think can give a general idea of what sorts of things will give points/penalties. I think the list of actions that affect points will grow significantly by the time it's all said and done.

2. I think initially it does seem weird to have points instead of just stats, but for one I think the pure stats will be visible or at least discernable as well, and I also think that once you start diving into the game and doing the challenges and seeing the leaderboards, the points will actually become quite addictive. I mean, look what's happened with Sniper Challenge - it's the exact same construct here.

3. I have no doubt that, regardless of difficulty, there will be an option from the game menu to not display score box in the corner.

4. There are clearly rewards you earn for reaching certain point threshholds - here we see "point shooting level 3" which presumably invovles being able to tag more targets and/or spend less instinct in so-tagging. Or perhaps it makes time slow even more when you enter into tagging mode. Anyway, point is, skill-based things (instinct abilities, the brief time-slowdown when half pressing the trigger while sniping, maybe reload speeds, etc.) will upgrade as you get points. Question remains whether it will be points that cause your guns to upgrade, too. I really hope (and suspect) that this is not the case... hopefully money will be the economy used for 'tangible' items like guns, while points will be the economy for skills/abilities. That would work for me.
Nov 20, 2012: Agent 47 suddenly discovers a hole in his pocket. A black hole.
R.I.P. Physics (dawn of time - Nov 20, 2012)

#16 Wade2012

Wade2012

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

4. There are clearly rewards you earn for reaching certain point threshholds - here we see "point shooting level 3" which presumably invovles being able to tag more targets and/or spend less instinct in so-tagging. Or perhaps it makes time slow even more when you enter into tagging mode. Anyway, point is, skill-based things (instinct abilities, the brief time-slowdown when half pressing the trigger while sniping, maybe reload speeds, etc.) will upgrade as you get points. Question remains whether it will be points that cause your guns to upgrade, too. I really hope (and suspect) that this is not the case... hopefully money will be the economy used for 'tangible' items like guns, while points will be the economy for skills/abilities. That would work for me.

Only question about that theory is... how would 47 make money? He's gone rogue from the ICA now and is on a "personal" journey. He's no longer doing anonymous contracts for cash, he's hunting and killing the people involved in the Victoria conspiracy. Maybe the money system can work like this: 47 has a sympathizer within the ICA who feeds him weapons and equipment. The more of a mess 47 causes in missions, the harder it is for the supplier to cover his illegal dealings with 47 since he's showing up more on ICA radar. More points=more guns available.

#17 Nitro

Nitro

American Gladiator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Only question about that theory is... how would 47 make money? He's gone rogue from the ICA now and is on a "personal" journey. He's no longer doing anonymous contracts for cash, he's hunting and killing the people involved in the Victoria conspiracy. Maybe the money system can work like this: 47 has a sympathizer within the ICA who feeds him weapons and equipment. The more of a mess 47 causes in missions, the harder it is for the supplier to cover his illegal dealings with 47 since he's showing up more on ICA radar. More points=more guns available.

I like that idea, but don't think that's what we'll see in Absolution - I think they're really putting 47 on his own in this one. It may be that, while most of the levels are chasing down and taking out the conspirators, every 3rd mission or so is done for a random client that 47 has gotten in touch with personally (instead of through the Agency). Not dissimilar to how he takes out the King of Chinatown for Birdy in return for certain information. Idea would be that, in order to continue funding his search for the truth, every once in a while he has to take on a paid contract. I don't know how likely this theory is to be true, I'm certainly not hanging my hat on it, but it would be nice if earning money and spending it on things like weapons was still a part of the game.

If it's NOT money in this one, then I would hope that weapon collection/upgrading would be done just by finding the weapons and exiting the level with them in your inventory, H2:SA style (I think that, as others have mentioned, the car we've seen 47 driving a few times will serve as a mobile "safe house" and weapons stored in the trunk will be the basis for pre-mission weapon selection - see Saints trailer). Either money or the car-trunk inventory would make sense within the game world... "points" from your mission performance allowing you to obtain or upgrade weapons would break immersion significantly and be a shame imo, so I really hope that's not how it's done. Again, I'm fine with these points allowing you to upgrade "techniques" like point shooting and blending-in, that has more of a xp --> character progression feel to it, and works within the game world in a way that "oh wow I was really stealthy on that last assassination, so obviously my 'baller has magically procured a red dot sight on it" just doesn't.
Nov 20, 2012: Agent 47 suddenly discovers a hole in his pocket. A black hole.
R.I.P. Physics (dawn of time - Nov 20, 2012)