19 replies to this topic

#1 Dingo

Dingo

Pickpocket

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hiya

I've recently upgraded my PC and reinstalled Windows, and I'm desperate to get my Absolution save files back, but alas, I cannot find them!

I've looked through Appdata, documents, etc (my old install is backed up), but so far have had no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Meanie-head

• Super Admin
  • 11158 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

They aren't on the Steam cloud?

#3 Dingo

Dingo

Pickpocket

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

I thought so, but it hasn't synced back.

#4 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Meanie-head

• Super Admin
  • 11158 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

That's weird..

I took a quick look around and couldn't find them on my PC either.

In the menu bar:
Steam > Settings > Downloads + Cloud. Make sure Steam cloud sync is enabled.

Right click Absolution in Steam:
1 - Properties > Updates. Make sure Enable Steam Cloud synchronization is checked.
2 - Local Files > Verify integrity of game cache.

EDIT: I think I may have found them locally. Make sure you're showing hidden files.

Program Files (x86)/Steam/userdata/*33917392/*205930/remote/savedata.dat

*these numbers may be different, I don't know. I'm pretty sure you'll it in a folder called 'remote' that's located two folders deep from 'userdata'. There's a file in there called hm5 with no extension, and the savedata.dat file as well.

I'm tired, goodnigzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#5 Dingo

Dingo

Pickpocket

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

Thank you!

I ended up giving up and playing through again, but I can confirm that the path you've given to the save file is correct.

Only difference is, as you've mentioned, the name of the first subfolder under 'userdata'. I believe this number is unique to the steam user. However, the '205930' folder seems to be number used for Absolution, and should be the same for anyone.

Once again, thank you. People like you restore my faith in humanity.

Edited by Dingo, 22 November 2012 - 07:00 AM.

#6 Black glasses

Black glasses

Living legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

They aren't on the Steam cloud?

Where did you get into the conclusion he's got a Steam copy? I was ready to say that the save files are indeed in My Documents and he just didn't look hard enough...
When you kill for money, there are no rules.

The Small fixes thread. IOI employees and Hitman developers, please take a look at the thread. At the moment there are about 80 small or smallish things that the fans would like to see improved. Many would improve gameplay and shouldn't be too difficult to fix before Absolution is released.
http://www.hitmanfor...s/#entry1462443

Posted Image

#7 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Meanie-head

• Super Admin
  • 11158 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

Took a stab at it. He didn't find them in the usual spots, so Steam made the most sense.

#8 JasonWalker

JasonWalker

Expert

• Square Enix Empoyee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:47 AM

Where did you get into the conclusion he's got a Steam copy? I was ready to say that the save files are indeed in My Documents and he just didn't look hard enough...

Game is only available to play through steam, as uses steamworks fully. So its like assuming that a 360 online game by Microsoft uses `live` ;) hehe a pretty safe bet :)
My opinion is my own and not that of the company
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1255523/ <-thas me hehe
Twitter: @jaywalker2309

#9 Black glasses

Black glasses

Living legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

Oh. That makes sense. A lot more than my theory of you being a psychic. I didn't know Absolution was Steamworks only.

Also, for some reason I thought that he was playing Blood Money. Especially weird when you look at the completely unedited post saying he's looking for his Absolution saves... :wacko: Hopefully the thread starter went back in time just to mess with my head, otherwise there's something wrong with my head. Probably lack of sleep, though. :mellow:
When you kill for money, there are no rules.

The Small fixes thread. IOI employees and Hitman developers, please take a look at the thread. At the moment there are about 80 small or smallish things that the fans would like to see improved. Many would improve gameplay and shouldn't be too difficult to fix before Absolution is released.
http://www.hitmanfor...s/#entry1462443

Posted Image

#10 ServiusTheBear

ServiusTheBear

Pickpocket

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

There is no Hitman saves on your computer and by the way. 205930 is the sniper challenge! 203140 is Hitman Absolution. I have checked all the other spots. It would appear the data is saved in cloud.

#11 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Meanie-head

• Super Admin
  • 11158 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

I do not have a 203140 folder and when my game crashed it told me local and cloud files did not match. That's evidence that there are indeed local saves. I do have 205930, which has a file in it called 'hm5', and I do not have Sniper Challenge installed. I'm pretty sure 205930 is Absolution. That's quite a bit of evidence I've just presented.

#12 ServiusTheBear

ServiusTheBear

Pickpocket

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

http://store.steampo....com/app/203140 <-This is the game app number for Hitman Absolution which refers to locations for screen shots and any save files and since I have both and Know what screenshots I took in Hitman Sniper Challenge and there is no save files or folders pertaining to Hitman in these as I am looking to back mine up hence why I came here. If you are so convinced that 203140 is not the number go look at the steam store! or just click that link.

Edited by ServiusTheBear, 24 November 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#13 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Meanie-head

• Super Admin
  • 11158 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

I see that, it doesn't make sense, but I do see it. I've never had Sniper Challenge installed under this Steam installation.

I found the 203140 folder as well, it was one more folder deep in the structure (userdata/********/760/203140), which is where the absolution screens are, but there's not much else in there.

I guess I'll un-resolve this and well keep looking for local saves.

#14 Agent 88

Agent 88

Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

It doesn't make much sense, but the 205930/remote folder must contain save files related to Absolution, not Sniper Challenge. Checking the properties on my hm5 file, it was created on 11/20/2012 at 9:27 AM (when I first started Absolution) and last modified a few hours ago on 11/24/2012 at 11:07 p.m. (as I just finished Absolution). I'm not sure why the Absolution save files are in the folder for Sniper Challenge, but maybe it's related to SC unlocks carrying over to Absolution?

#15 Gta470

Gta470

Pickpocket

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

Hey i have a Problem because when im in my Absolution Savegame Folder its only a HM5 data,but ive downloadet a savegame,and its a save.dat image.....so when i put the save.dat in the Absolution Savegame Folder its not loaded in Game.....When i rename it in Hm5 then its says In-Game i have no Savegame....Can anybody help me pls.. :(

#16 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Meanie-head

• Super Admin
  • 11158 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

We really haven't figured out how the local Absolution saves are handled yet.

Try naming it savedata.dat and putting it in the 205930 folder.

#17 Gta470

Gta470

Pickpocket

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

Ok i´ve changed the downloadet Savegame from Save.dat to savedata.dat.In my Savegame Folder is now HM5 and savedata.dat.The Cloud is activatet, but it actually will not work ,when im in the main menu i can not click on play i can only create a new game .....

#18 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Meanie-head

• Super Admin
  • 11158 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

It may have been overwritten when you loaded the game. Try redownloading. Before you do anything with the file, load the game and 'start new game'. After the cutscenes, exit back to windows and see if you've got a 'savedata.dat' file in your 205930 folder. If so, overwrite it with the one you downloaded. Reload Absolution and see if you have a 'continue' option, or if it will let you select levels.

#19 Gta470

Gta470

Pickpocket

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Ok sorry for so many Questions :D Ok now i make it step by step.First i´ve downloadet the hitmal absolution new,after that the game starts its syncing a hm5 and a savegame.dat file in the savegame folder.After that i have replaced the savegame.dat with the downloadet savegame.dat .But its not working. So i have rename the downloadet Stat.dat in Hm5 after that i have put the Hm5 file into my savegame folder.Now when im in-game it says only "Start New Game" And the Continue Button is black and i cant press it.On Levels i can only click the first Map Mission..
The Steam Cloud was activated...So i dont know the Problem :(I have downloadet this Hitman Absolution Savegame:http://www.downloads...-save-game-set/
I hope anybody can help me to fix the problem :)

Edited by Gta470, 26 November 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#20 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Meanie-head

• Super Admin
  • 11158 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:49 AM

I'm really not sure what else to suggest.

The official word from Jason Walker @ Square is that Absolution does, in fact, share a save folder with Sniper Challenge. So 205930 is the correct location.

I downloaded that save file, it came with no information on what to do with it. One thing to try would be to rename the whole hitmanabsolution_completesave.rar to savedata.dat and put it in 205930 (use a copy of it and overwrite existing file) to see if that works.

One other possibility is that this is for the retail/boxed version of the game, which likely handles saves differently than the Steam digital distribuition version.

One last thing I can think of is to turn Cloudsync OFF, then try and use that save file, with all the different naming conventions we've discussed so far.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: save location, save, save game