29 replies to this topic

#1 Schiele

Schiele

Fleur-de-lis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Amazon.co.uk have the game for £19.99, and £14.99 for PC, why has the game become so incredibly cheap so fast?
Other outlets are selling the game off cheap, too. Do you think they anticipated it to sell far more copies than it has, and now they're trying to clear their overstock? It's odd, because it's been received more favourably than negatively, even though the reception has been generally a mixed bag.

When you consider that Dishonored is more expensive, it just makes me wonder. I was a little pissed that the game was selling £10-£15 cheaper a week after I pre-ordered and received the game, especially the price of the Pro edition, which can be found cheaper than the standard originally was.

Blood can't be unspilled

#2 Choronzon

Choronzon

"He is Backstory, son of Exposition!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2444 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

When a product drops this fast in price (and still being relatively "brand new" at that), it usually entails that the product in question didn't shift the projected amount of units. It's a practice quite common in big chain stores in order to push out the remaining stock, while still being able to retain some level of "profit" by the sheer numbers sold with the lowered price. It isn't all that uncommon.

Edited by Choronzon, 10 December 2012 - 02:28 PM.

I'm going to the shed. Time to bury the past.

Indication of triumph, the numbers that are dead
-- Slayer, 'War Ensemble'

When you talk to God, it's called prayer
When God talks to you, it's called schizophrenia.

#3 music is math

music is math

Shadow

• Moderators
  • 2159 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Most games these days seem to drop in price quickly. It's not just Hitman. Here in the US, for example, AC3 was selling for $30 on Black Friday (barely 3 weeks after it was released). It's probably the economy.

#4 Quinn

Quinn

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3045 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Actually, it's on sale on Amazon for the next few days. That price won't last so pick it up while you can.

Choronzon!?!?
Please check out my Hitman Absolution compositions -

http://www.hitmanfor...cored-by-quinn/

#5 Altair47

Altair47

Splinter Cell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

I'm betting it's the economy. ACIII like music pointed out was being sold for super cheap on amazon recently although it's strange because Dishonored wasn't as cheap. Different decisions but ACIII most certainly is a heavy hitter in the gaming industry and even if many people had disliked it, it would've sold extremely well and thus a drop in price would not necessarily mean poor sales or reception.

I hope it's not because people aren't buying it anymore...I want more Hitman and H:A was an absolutely great base game for a more traditional Hitman game which was hinted at in the end -- if this doesnt do well, we can pretty much kiss all hope of a more classic experience in HM6 goodbye and say hello to further "casualizing" of the series :/

Edited by Altair47, 10 December 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#6 Schiele

Schiele

Fleur-de-lis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm betting it's the economy. ACIII like music pointed out was being sold for super cheap on amazon recently although it's strange because Dishonored wasn't as cheap. Different decisions but ACIII most certainly is a heavy hitter in the gaming industry and even if many people had disliked it, it would've sold extremely well and thus a drop in price would not necessarily mean poor sales or reception.

I hope it's not because people aren't buying it anymore...I want more Hitman and H:A was an absolutely great base game for a more traditional Hitman game which was hinted at in the end -- if this doesnt do well, we can pretty much kiss all hope of a more classic experience in HM6 goodbye and say hello to further "casualizing" of the series :/

I don't think so. Well, I certainly hope not. From what is coming from the mouths of the folks at Square Enix Montreal, I don't think so.

Blood can't be unspilled

#7 CoolDust

CoolDust

Mercenary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Its the same for all Square Enix/IO titles, Kane and Lynch 2 could be bought for £5 a month after launch!! Human Revolution also went down to £5 really quick. Sleeping Dogs is getting there and Absolution will be there shortly.

I really do regret my purchase of the Pro edition, wasn't limited at all!!

#8 Dynamic 47

Dynamic 47

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Human Revolution is cheap as hell on amazon these days.

January 16th 2014: Hitman 6 officially announced! 

#9 Gismo12

Gismo12

Hitman Absolution is no Hitman Game its the Sequel of Splinter C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

I Hope nobody buy this Game that they know what shit they build

#10 Schiele

Schiele

Fleur-de-lis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Human Revolution is cheap as hell on amazon these days.

Yeah, especially since it has only been out just over a year. It stopped selling well though, unfortunately. It was free for psn members for a month.

Especially sins

Its the same for all Square Enix/IO titles, Kane and Lynch 2 could be bought for £5 a month after launch!! Human Revolution also went down to £5 really quick. Sleeping Dogs is getting there and Absolution will be there shortly.

I really do regret my purchase of the Pro edition, wasn't limited at all!!

True. But, K&L 2 was because on the whole, it was rather lame. Sleeping Dogs has been £20 plus for a while though, and has only recently dropped in price significantly. I don't think it sold amazingly. Absolution is selling well, but I think retailers purchased too many copies, expecting the game to sell a lot more at launch. I don't know why though as the game is essentially a reboot/new IP (for many people), and is a bit of a test.

I regret it a bit, but was glad to experience playing the game at launch with all extras. Overall, the pro edition was a premium package, but certainly not limited!

Blood can't be unspilled

#11 Elite Assassin

Elite Assassin

Mercenary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Not as cheap as your mom

#12 Sketch

Sketch

Damn!

• Moderators
  • 19484 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Don't post if it'll be idiotic.

Most games go down this quickly, the only ones that don't are the CoD games. Nothing to worry about.

#13 MrPistolLaw

MrPistolLaw

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

It's the holiday season and games are great gift items. Do stores know this? Of course! The reason for the temporary price cut is to make more titles available in the same price bracket, for greater choice selection.

The heads of retail stores know they've great product and they want to get as much variety into the hands of people shopping price point in video games.

#14 Acid_Operative

Acid_Operative

'Sup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

I think it's common with Square Enix published games, Deus Ex: HR went down in price fast and so did Sleeping Dogs.
Thank you IO Interactive for bringing back David Bateson

#15 CoolDust

CoolDust

Mercenary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Yeah, especially since it has only been out just over a year. It stopped selling well though, unfortunately. It was free for psn members for a month.

Especially sins

True. But, K&L 2 was because on the whole, it was rather lame. Sleeping Dogs has been £20 plus for a while though, and has only recently dropped in price significantly. I don't think it sold amazingly. Absolution is selling well, but I think retailers purchased too many copies, expecting the game to sell a lot more at launch. I don't know why though as the game is essentially a reboot/new IP (for many people), and is a bit of a test.

I regret it a bit, but was glad to experience playing the game at launch with all extras. Overall, the pro edition was a premium package, but certainly not limited!

What bothers me about the Pro edition not being limited is it too will plummet in price and I bet at some point it will be available for £15... Its the risk you take with collector editions though unfortunately.

Some start at £100 and plummet to £30 or less, I think im done with overpriced collector editions. Last few have left me with buyers remorse! :(

#16 St.Sebastian

St.Sebastian

Thug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

I bought Absolution on launch day for £22.00, I think. I quizzed the man behind the counter and he said he didn't know why it was so cheap, but he reasoned that it probably meant there was going to be quite a bit of DLC.

#17 froghopper

froghopper

'know thy self and you will know the universe'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

When a product drops this fast in price (and still being relatively "brand new" at that), it usually entails that the product in question didn't shift the projected amount of units. It's a practice quite common in big chain stores in order to push out the remaining stock, while still being able to retain some level of "profit" by the sheer numbers sold with the lowered price. It isn't all that uncommon.

no it doesn't , there are all sorts of reasons for price drop strategies .
Your words "it usually" must mean you've done some sort of survey on this or at least read an official survey somewhere, otherwise your theory is pure speculation.

I mean what about factors like ... competition , time of the year , the economy , company finances Etc ,
any of these could also be the driving force behind a price drop strategy.

SKYRIM dropped its price by more than half in Dec just after its release in Nov , obviously due to it being Christmas & wanting to stand out from its competition even more, it didn't stay at that price though , about 3 weeks later it was back at full price .

I dont understand why you are so keen to be negative about this game if you haven't even tried it .

#18 Dev J Chand

Dev J Chand

Silent Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1343 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Yeah, quite a few games drop in price, generally for the holiday seasons so that they can sell more during the festivals. I know quite some games that were cheap for a while, but then went back to full price. Nothing to worry about.

editingimages2.jpg

"I wondered how far could this go, before I could stop him. There was no way a imposter could remain that long in the gray darkness..."
*hears sudden movement, some weird sounds*
"Huh? Who was it?"
* hears some instruments in the distance, fading to the distant urban jungle*

#19 Altair47

Altair47

Splinter Cell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

I Hope nobody buy this Game that they know what shit they build

Too late. I bought the game. That means that somebody bought the game. I hate to ruin your day but you had to be told the truth. Sorry man... I really wish I could take back my purchase JUST for you because I didn't want to crush your dreams. :/

#20 miyamoto

miyamoto

Mercenary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

According to vgchartz Absolution hit 1.4 million (physical) units during the second week. Factor in Steam sales and you're probably looking at maybe 1.8 mil in two weeks.

Clearly the drop in price has nothing to do with not moving enough units - Blood Money only sold about 2 - 2.5 million in the six years it was out IIRC

It's just the holiday season.