Unpopular Opinions About Other Games/Series

Yeaaah… No, sorry :grin:

I love Neeson, but I don’t find his performance in F3 to be particularly memorable. McDowell’s on the other hand, yes. And Ron Perlman is in every Fallout game, so…

I find the celebrity voice cast in New Vegas to be much better. Not to mention games like Vice City and San Andreas :wink:

1 Like

Just Cause 1 > other Just Cause games

I just like the “Respect” System they came up with, as simple as it is :smile:
Also the gameplay is just fun. And also the music.

1 Like

Bioshock 2 is the best Bioshock.

2 Likes

I preferred Watch Dogs 1 to 2. The first had its problems where the story was very weak and the protagonist was unlikeable due to being devoid of true personality (would have been better if they made him a dickhead but pushed more on it rather than trying to have the ‘protective about his sister’)
But WD2 was cringeworthy with its ‘this is how millenials are, we think’ style and it was way too offputting. Not to mention the story meandered so much at the start, I lost interest so quickly and one of the few console games that I bought and didn’t finish the story

2 Likes

Once I played Unreal Tournament with the Instagib mutator I couldn’t play it any other way. So much fun. No regrets.

The Deus Ex franchise should have stopped after the first brilliant game. Everything that followed was wildly underwhelming and tainted the original.

1 Like

Ah, ok. Fair enough :grin: I actually never really got around to play GTA2 much… Played the hell out of 1 and London with my cousins as kids, but by the time we got our hands on 2, GTAIII was coming out iirc, so the properties shifted obviously…

Should give it a go at some point :thinking:

1 Like

gta iv is hands down the best gta.

san andreas was incredible… up until CJ left the neighbourhood.

i hated tommy vercetti from vice city and found it difficult to play as him.

rdr2 isn’t boring and arthur morgan is one of the best video game performances of all time.

witcher 3 is a largely average game with painfully dull and derivative lore. the only thing interesting about geralt is the timbre of his voice. otherwise, he looks exactly like a character a teen goth would design in a very limited video game character creator.

last gen bugs, racial stereotypes and transphobic content/marketing aside (!!!), cyberpunk 2077 is a mediocre game with an incredible setting and gaming space… that isn’t utilised very well and is filled with nothing ubisoft-like activities. that they have a couple of lines of context before and after doesn’t make them any less ubisoft-like.

a lot of the acting and characterisation in cyberpunk 2077 is pretty good, and while i have a lot of time for keanu, he’s… he’s just not. also, they totally rushed the transition into act 2 and it is hilariously poor story telling.

speaking of ubisoft: splinter cell conviction is actually alright. :man_shrugging:t4:

minus the fact that ironside is missing, blacklist is the second best playing game in the series after chaos theory.

ghost recon: wildlands is pretty fucking racist, but so are most tom clancy games.

halo’s lore is a jingoistic take on the war on terror with a little bit of aliens thrown in. genuinely surprised it caught on, but :man_shrugging:t4:

mark of the ninja is one of the best stealth games ever made.

dark souls et al aren’t rpgs and don’t actually need the player facing stats. sekiro is tangible proof of this.

ama.

5 Likes

With the exception of the crash bandicoot trilogy all naughty dog games are pretty lame and boring

1 Like

I think the game Inside is ridiculously overrated. There are lots of games I think are overrated, but I usually only think they’re just a little bit overrated and can understand why people like them so much. But this one, I just cannot begin to fathom why people went into such a frenzy over it when it came out.

It was getting 10/10s all over the place with people calling it a ‘masterpiece’, but it goddamn isn’t. It’s just another one of those pretentious indie games trying to sound more important than it actually is; and people fall for it every freaking time. I feel like it’s one of those I’m14andthisisdeep situations.

The gameplay is just mediocre puzzle solving and platforming. There’s no room for replayability or experimentation since the game railroads you into a very specific way of doing things.

It does have a cool atmosphere and art-style, and what little actual story is there is fairly interesting. But good god, were people trying to overanalyse it. Personally, I’ve always hated the whole ‘ambiguous storytelling’ thing where a game never properly reveals what’s going on. It just seems like lazy writing to me, and for some reason people always seem to mistake it for brilliance. I’m reminded of an old Nostalgia Critic review where he talks about the movie The Cell, and how it’s so pretentious it feels like the director is just constantly screaming “Ask me what it means! Ask me what it means!” That’s this game to me. Uninspired gameplay with an uninspired story, but of course it gets a pass because ArT sTyLe and aMbIgUiTy.

I goddamn hate it. It’s a turd that’s been decorated to look like a cake.

i’ve no horse in this race since i’ve not played it, but - as i’m never shy to say - “overrated” isn’t a meaningful criticism; it’s shorthand for “lots of people like something that i don’t”, which - to me - is a weird place to start from.

2 Likes

It’s Swangs most played Bioshock, but Bioshock 1 is special for me because it’s the only time where I got to play a video game for a homework assignment.

5 Likes

cometome

If I was in charge of the writing for that game, I would’ve leaned very much into the fact that Aiden is a bad liar. The story we get is inconsistent because he’s trying to obscure as much about himself as possible but shit keeps getting through.

1 Like

No. I just don’t think the game is as good as people say it is. That’s literally what overrated means. I elaborated on why I thought it was overrated immediately afterwards.

I believe the video game Inside has boring gamplay with mediocre puzzle solving, with a story that comes across as pretentious rather than engaging or thought-provoking. As such, I believe that this game receives more credit than it deserves.

That any better?

i don’t take issue with the rest of your post because that’s your opinion and, frankly, it reads really well. :man_shrugging:t4:

‘overrated’, on the other hand, is someone effectively saying that other people’s opinion on x is somehow ‘wrong’.

it literally means giving more praise to something than it deserves. who are we to decide what deserves praise…? you didn’t get anything out of it, which is fine, but if other’s saw something we didn’t, who are we to say they’re somehow wrong?

‘i didn’t like x because such and such’ is one thing; saying ‘overrated’ is saying ‘people like x too much’ is… i dunno… don’t you think that’s like kind of an arrogant position to take on something as subjective as games?

underrated at least has the potential excuse of the game having flown under people’s radar due to no marketing or low sales (like prey!). overrated is tacitly putting one’s opinions above that of others and, admittedly quite irrationally, it really bothers me when i see it.

sorry, it’s a pet peeve. complete red rag to a bull :joy:

Fair enough. I personally don’t see it that way, but I get where you’re coming from. Looking at my post, I seemed a lot more ranty than I meant to lol. I would like to point out that I said that I think it’s overrated. I didn’t say it’s objectively overrated. Although now I think about it, saying that I personally think something is overrated is a bit of a meaningless statement.

1 Like

all good! didn’t mean it with any maliciousness or anything. it’s just one of those things that - irrationally - grinds my gears and i can’t help but comment on…

…like ‘could care less’. :joy:

1 Like

As I said earlier, from a particular point of view, it certainly can be considered as such.

I find it great all the way, but certainly works best in the LS/hood sections.

I’m curious as to why?

Hell no! :joy:

Gameplay-wise, yeah, I could agree. But its faults (for me) go way beyond Ironside’s absence (and are rooted in Conviction).

Is this an unpopular opinion? I haven’t played MotN yet, but it’s pretty much in every top 10 stealth games list you can find… :thinking:

The early Mortal Kombat games were never that good. I know, someone will kill me for this, but their gameplay is just boring and barely leaves any experimentation for the player.

1 Like