General News Thread 2.0

As I said, that is just your opinion, not fact. I just have an issue with people disrespecting it but still want to be entitled to use it. Just show respect (not you personally, necessarily, but just people in general.

I repeat: If someone died for my freedom - Including the freedom to say that I think Patriotism makes people irrational - What is the problem with me using that freedom?

The answer is simple: There is no problem, and this is a non issue.

Well I don’t believe Patriotism makes people irrational. I do believe there are irrational people who may take Patriotism too far. But Patriotism, imo, is a perfectly rational concept. Much like the devotion to one’s own family, only on a much grander scale. Pissing on the flag…that’s irrational.

As for the freedom others have died for, they certainly didn’t do it with the sole purpose making sure everyone could piss on the flag any more than they did it to make sure neo-nazi scum could spew the craploads of garbage they do. It’s just an unfortunate secondary outcome that haters exploit.

Join the US military and your perspective will change.

I can’t join the US Military, nor would I want to.

Good point. Though I don’t find defacing a flag anywhere near as objectionable as neo naziism or white supremacy. They aren’t even in the same league.

I wasn’t saying you should. I was just saying your perspective about he flag changes when you do.

Interesting to see where this goes, i don’t know if they can link this to Donald Trump if nobody says or prove that he knew about this, maybe if Trump Jr is facing jail and will have a mild punishment (in extreme lack of better words :flushed:) and testifies against Donald Trump?

It goes no where as the Americans have already shown they are okay with the idea of Trump colluding with Russia and they think the Russian election interference is Fake News

Your lack of respect is the issue. You may use your freedom how ever you wish. But if you think taking a piss on the flag just because it ain’t illegal is “fine” well then… I guess we have nothing further to discuss, I know all I need to know.

No, you don’t.

The Supreme Court finally recognised in 1989 that flag-burning is not just mayhem but a meaningful cultural act: a way of saying something. It is, in the court’s words, a form of “symbolic speech”. This recognition of a violent gesture not as mere vandalism but a type of “speech” is an amazing insight into the culture of protest. When words fail us, we use images. When a nation creates a sacred image of itself – the eternal American icon that is the star-spangled banner – it also provides an instant, potent means of symbolic dissent.

I’m sorry… is this a proposal? Or the actual law as of now? Yeah…

Yes I do.

It’s a piece of cloth. Get over it.

That’s what I thought…

It is the Trump administration that call everything fake news, i wonder what the Senate Intelligence Committee will do with this and what’s up with the Trump’s and Twitter :astonished:? Donald Trump is using Twitter to insult people etc and now junior just released emails from the russia conversations on Twitter.

It says in norwegian news, that next question is if this illegal or just can hurt Donald Trump politically.

If the United States flag were simply a “piece of cloth,” burning it in order to make a political statement would make no more sense than burning a handkerchief. Old Glory embodies political ideals and policies, and that’s true whether you support the U.S. or detest it.

I don’t see why not.

USA is a shitty country that has done plenty of shitty things to the world. Respect is earned, it’s not free. If someone doesn’t like the history and what that flag represents, they are free to disrepect it.
You don’t get a fucking “disrespect-free” right on something just because it’s a flag.

Your lack of respect is the issue. You may use your freedom how ever you wish. But if you think taking a piss on the flag just because it ain’t illegal is “fine” well then… I guess we have nothing further to discuss, I know all I need to know.

No, the issue is blind respect.

You can’t be serious right now…

So people can hang Nazi flags all over their house but it’s fine because it’s just a piece of cloth right

Facts are facts. Deal with it.