That’s a good point. If subduing is going to be penalised, then so should anything else which manipulates the positions of NPCs, and vice versa: if it’s okay to turn on a radio to get an NPC to come over to investigate then subduing shouldn’t be penalised. At the end of the day, as @Nakar already pointed out, subduing costs time, plus, it comes with the risk of getting caught and hiding the body.
I suppose we have to keep in mind what this competition is all about: completing a contract with zero or minimal items.
@C2H6O suggested allowing items in loadout, but with penalties. What do we think?
Here’s a proposed penalty scheme.
- 60 seconds: different starting location / each disguise change once contract begins
- 50 seconds: each inventory slot used at start
- 50 seconds: using smuggled item slot at start (no additional penalty when item is first collected)
- 20 seconds: picking up an item on the map
- 10 seconds: each time you use an item in your inventory