Mass Effect: Andromeda

On behalf of our teams across Montreal, Edmonton and Austin, I’m excited to announce that Mass EffectTM: Andromeda will be launching in North America on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 and beginning Thursday, March 23, 2017 in Europe. We appreciate your patience (and in fact, even your lack of patience in some instances) as we’ve been focused on completing the game. Here’s a little bit of context into how we’ve gotten here.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is our most ambitious Mass Effect game to date. We’re telling completely new stories, creating new characters, new planets, new species, and introducing new gameplay systems. And for the first time, we’re bringing Mass Effect to the FrostbiteTM game engine, an incredible engine that’s delivering a tremendous graphical jump from the trilogy to Mass Effect: Andromeda. To deliver on this, we’re taking all the time we can to make sure you’re getting the best possible experience.

Over this holiday break, developers at BioWare took home a version of the game in what we call the “holiday build”. This is a longstanding studio tradition that goes back to the early days of the original Mass Effect. Many load up a PC or console and go home to play as much as possible at their leisure. Coming back from holiday, the feedback has been great. Getting the endorsement from members of our studio, many of whom played key roles on the original trilogy, was definitely a key factor in helping us lock in on the date.

Even more exciting for us over the last couple of months has been seeing the excitement build in the community as we’ve started to share more about the game. The passion you have for the franchise continues to drive us. And now, we’re just a couple of months away from delivering a brand new Mass Effect experience to you for the first time in five years – richer, deeper and ready for exploration. We’re excited about how far we are going with the franchise, and we hope you find it’s been worth the wait.

See you in Andromeda,

Aaryn

This better be good… but I trust Bioware to deliver huehue

You lied to me, it’s been over two hours and there’s no trailer! :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope this game lives up to our expectations. I’ve been waiting for this for a long time.

Its weird how quiet they’ve been about this. I know practically nothing about it, which is crazy for games these days. Actually it’s entire pre-release coverage has been strange. Didn’t we get a tech demo from Bioware about 2 E3’s ago? Pretty much just saying “yeah, Mass Effect is cool innit” :joy:

Can’t say it impressed me, but we’ll see.

Something is really, really wrong with the game… Either they have no confidence in the direction they’ve taken the IP, they know they’re not ready and are pulling a fast one by building up hype and accruing preorders before delaying the game to fall, or the game is going to come in super hot and be a big, big mess, which is why they’re not showing anything.

One way or another, something is fishy…

Something about it looks really off, like it’s totally incomplete. Think I’ll actually be waiting for reviews for this.

I shouldn’t be thanking you though, this should be the norm.

I have trust in some developers whose games I can peorder without any worry. Rockstar, namely. Played every one of their games since gta3 and loved them all. I’ll gladly preorder RDR2.

Naughty Dog too.

You could be right. What’s weird though, is how little interest they have in building hype at all. Maybe they reckon the Mass Effect title will sell itself, but their showings so far have been so underwhelming. They had a tech demo 2 E3’s ago, another tech demo at Sony’s PS4 Pro announcement, and two short trailers since then which show about 5 minutes of gameplay between them. (At least that’s what I remember)

As I said before, my favourite parts of the Mass Effect games don’t really mesh with these 2 minute trailers. I’m sure after 30 hours I’m going to be making ever decision based completely on what I think my Asari squadmate would want me to do :joy:

I’d like a Rockstar-style narrated trailer which gives us a rough idea of what we’re actually get up to moment to moment.

I think they’re taking a more careful approach this time. Before Mass Effect 3 launched it was all bells and whistles. You remember they even launched a copy in space(or so they claimed) and had people on a scavenger hunt. Bioware was so confident that their shit didn’t stink anymore. We all know what happened afterwards.:poop:

All that PR stuff blow up right in their face. So to me it makes sense that they’re keeping things cool and not getting ahead of themselves this time. They want the game to be a hit but are not assuming that it already is.

I can’t see a delay happening now. Right up until yesterdays announcement I would’ve agreed with you, but we’re 3 months out now. I don’t see what could happen in that time for them to change their minds. Unless this is something for shareholders, I’m no expert on this stuff but I know there was some discussion over whether or not they needed Mass Effect for this financial year. Maybe they need it to make up for Titanfall 2’s lacklustre sales? Who knows.

There was definitely a sense that ME3 was rushed out. I still remember some of those running animations :sob: Cringe worthy.

@Nazareth @Keith96 I really, really hope you gentlemen are right on this, and that my little raisin heart is causing me to over react… Way I see things, something sinister is going on. I don’t think they’re being cautious and humble. I think they’re genuinely terrified and sending very jarring signals with their approach to revealing this game. This is a game about story. First and foremost. As of now, they’ve shown some disparate segments of gameplay that haven’t revealed a single bit of narrative. Without any established voice, themes, larger-than-life characters, or anything resembling a unique vision, I’m really skeptical as to the quality of this product.

Luckily we can just wait for reviews and see what the general consensus is.

I had to laugh at the €100 pre-order version on PS Store. There’s no sign of a season pass so it’s mainly a collection of “boosts” for multiplayer and aesthetic items for singleplayer. Kind of ridiculous.

For what it’s worth, I believe Bioware has learned and grown from past mistakes and shortcomings and I think the game will be the hit everybody- especially Bioware- is hoping it’ll be. Still not excited for it myself but maybe sometime after release that’ll change.

I actually think it’s the opposite, Bioware has gone downhill and pretty fast if you ask me.

Honestly, I can’t even argue on their behalf. So many people have left Bioware that it can cause doubt. Only time will tell.