Movies You've only Just Watched

I just watched come and find me with Aaron Paul, seemed like a good movie until you get to the end and it explains nothing. You’re left feeling that you just wasted hours of your life waiting for this big climax and it never came.

I watched the INLAND EMPIRE. Really fine film, yet dunno this forum likes extreme cryptic horror films. Still a better film than anything that come out this year.

Big fan of David Lynch here. While Inland Empire isn’t the most accessible film for the average cinema-goer, I found myself really enjoying it. A career best performance by Laura Dern.

I got “Triple 9” from an Amazon deal for $4.75. An extremely enjoyable cops and robbers movie. Casey Affleck is a pretty great actor.

I have put off seeing this movie for a while now but as you have recommended it I will try it.

Man hands down this is best Lynch film ever, so good, so sad and depressing man.

You know the original Van Damme ones are going to be a million percent better that the newer ones. I tried watching the new Kick Boxer, switched it off after 15 mins. The original is a classic. NUK SOO KOW! Won’t even bother with Hard Target 2.

Rogue One - Meh.

5/10. Mixed bag. Characters are everything - If your protagonists are boring and unlikeable then there’s no reason to care about the action. Also…

CGI Peter Cushing. Just… No.

Well after this I’m wondering if I should bother spending over £20 going to see it with my girlfriend. I feel like I need to though to show support for my boy. How much is Mads in the movie?

A supporting role. He’s not a main character.

If you could take a rough guess at his approximate screen time?

10 minutes maybe? Longer than Darth Vader.

mutes Quinn

So I watched Rogue One a couple of days ago, and must say I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was a very different movie then the typical saga films and set out to do what it said it would, being a war film.

Stunning visuals and they brought a long gone actor to life again, to a point where the fact he was CGI didn’t take anything away from me. They have come a long way since CGI Arnold in T4.

I didn’t enjoy it as much as the force awakens. However if this is what we can look forward to, then I think that Disney and Lucasfilms are lightyears ahead of the MCU series.

OMG Vaders Castle and him slaughtering Rebels

Well I didn’t rate the force awakens so I doubt I would enjoy this all that much :worried:.

While there are exceptions, I find this to be an accurate observation: People whose views were more mixed on The Force Awakens appear to enjoy Rogue One more, while the opposite seems true if you really loved the former.

Personally, I find Rogue One to be the superior film. Not least in how it’s a mature, original story which goes beyond the unambitious fan service and derivativeness of Abrams’s adaptation. I enjoy Gareth Edwards more as a director, whose approach to filmaking is clearly different.

Also, that last scene with Vader got me pregnant.

I agree with you, but i enjoy the more mystical and fantasy elements much more when it comes to Star Wars. Good vs Evil and so on, what i really enjoyed about Rogue One was the fact that i blurred the lines, it was war. Both sides made tough calls and it wasn’t as grey and white as the original trilogy made us believe.

So in the end i would give both movies around 8 out 10. But i enjoy Force Awakens more because of the fantasy elements.

Really? I felt that Rogue One was absolutely jam packed with fan service. Darth Vader and ]Tarkin were completely unnecessary additions to the film - The narrative would have been smoother without Tarkin especially, whose presence as a fully CGI character was just distracting. Vader was only there to awe the audience into submission through his sheer badassery - Blinding the fans with enough cool lightsaber tricks to the point they’d forget that nothing all that memorable was happening otherwise. His presence also massively overshadowed that of Krennic, who was given little room to manoeuvre as a villain and felt insignificant. When you’re trying to make a standalone film in the Star Wars universe with all new one-shot characters, you need to really build up those characters. They’re only here for one movie, so they damn well better make an impact. It’s a very bad sign when all people want to talk about his how much of a badass Darth Vader was. Darth Vader’s been in plenty of films, give the new cast a chance to shine and tell a story we haven’t heard before

In addition, the “restored” footage of the X-Wing pilots from the original Star Wars stood out like a sore thumb, as did the very brief cameo byC-3PO and R2-D2’s. Ending on the CGI version of 1970s Carrie Fisher, who was seemingly only there for half a second to say one freaking word was just utterly pointless. Some of the most cringeworthy and overtly pandering referencing I have ever seen in a movie.

Granted, The Force Awakens had its fair share of fanservice as well - But these were generally in the form of big reveals and the people/things that were revealed tended to stick around and play important parts in the events of the story. When we get a dramatic pan over to the Millennium Falcon, it’s not just to say “Hay look guise! star wars!”. It’s also because the characters intend to commandeer it. Returning characters like Han Solo were integral to the story, and those who had smaller roles (Such as Leia) were used tastefully.

By contrast, Rogue One just felt sloppily paced and frenetically edited. The first 40 minutes had a lot of disorienting zooming around from planet to planet. Lots of characters and locations were introduced with minimal context, and the film didn’t linger long enough to give us a better understanding of these locations and characters - Leading to a more clinical and impersonal story than The Force Awakens. A lot of the cast had great potential as characters too, which makes it even more of a shame that they were hacked into husks. I particularly liked Donnie Yen and Riz Ahmed (who played Chirrut Imwe and Bohdie Rook - I had to google that because the movie hardly ever mentions their names) - But they’re woefully underdeveloped as characters. The film doesn’t bother to explain why Chirrut and Baze Malbus have such a tight bromance going on, nor does it go into detail about why Chirrut is force sensitive. There’s no exploration of Bohdie’s motivations for absconding from the Empire to deliver a message for the resistance - Leaving a huge emotional black hole in the movie. All the movie tells us is that he did it because he did it - It was a convenient way to push the story forward.

When all these new characters eventually die in the final battle, I didn’t care. I might have cared if we understood more about them - I think the film should have taken the 10 minutes or so wasted in Vader and Tarkin and focused on building some of the ensemble cast. It would have been much better.

So, I stand by my 5/10 rating. It’s a good film to watch in the cinema, it looks amazing - But it’s got so many inexcusable holes in it that are impossible to ignore and ultimately detrimental to the experience.

While I had fun with The Force Awakens, it was closer to a soft fan reboot than an original, more humanist take on the genre, which Rogue One aims to be. Abrams wasn’t trying anything new, he played it safe, teamed up with Lawrence Kasdan to basically re-write Episode IV with new characters, all in an attempt to reassure us Disney knew how to make a Star Wars film. Their attempt to make it derivative and unambitious was it’s biggest weakness, and the end result of trying to appease fans without taking any risks.

Some fan service undoubtedly exists in Rogue One, but I honestly find it more restrained. I don’t see how ignoring the presence of Darth Vader and Grand Moff Tarkin would’ve made sense. Both of them have a screen time of less than ten minutes, so I’d hardly call that “jam packed.” This is a film set just prior to A New Hope, so references to the original have to be there. I found it far more effective in honouring the original trilogy, rather than attempting to recreate it, which is what Episode VII was focused on.

The first half is the weakest part of the film. I would’ve shortened the opening scenes, added a crawl, and got rid of Forest Whitaker’s character completely. I wasn’t a fan of his portrayal at all, including that accent. I almost burst out laughing when he used his oxygen, as it reminded me of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet.

In terms of the characters, I think this criticism would be more relevant if Edwards aimed to make this a swashbuckling, banter-heavy space adventure which was all about the relationships. After all, Star Wars is a family affair. But this is fundamentally a dark, gritty, war film where the fight itself transcends the individual; a Hollywood version of Sergei Eisenstein’s approach to filmmaking if you will. War is cold and clinical. The characters worked for me once I became aware of the kind of story this was. I’m not surprised it’s a criticism I’m hearing quite a lot, given we tend to apply the same expectations to each Star Wars film.

But I see a strength in all this. The shift in focusing away from the hero being a force sensitive prophesy to a renegade with an indifference towards the cause is something this franchise desperately needed. Medals aren’t being hung around necks. They don’t need lightsabres. In the end these are anonymous characters who’ll be forgotten in the grand scheme of things. They were helpless once the mission started, yet they made a difference and paid the ultimate sacrifice. For the first time in a while, I felt like these were real people.

The Force Awakens doesn’t go into Rey’s sudden mastering of the Force, nor does the original trilogy ever address Han and Chewie’s “bromance.” As for Bodhi, I assume his motivations were quite obvious given what we know about the Empire. I don’t think we needed to establish that the Empire was evil and defectors would be inevitable. I’m only surprised we haven’t seen more of them.

There was his connection to Galen as well. Bodhi literally described how and why he defected, and it was because of what Galen said to him.