The Music Thread

Cannons was the best show at Lolla yesterday. Journey killed it, Jake Duby played the best DJ set I have seen in years, better than Marshmello this year or Major Lazor a few years ago (both headliners) and Young the Giant was really good, but Cannons was the best.

1 Like
5 Likes

Last day of LoLLa. Sadness but also there’s no way I could a handle 5th day of Lolla so all good things must come to an end. Foo Fighters we’re good. I’m happy to get to see them. One of the last real rock bands.

Elderbrook was our show of the day though. He really puts on a great show and his music is banging.

1 Like

Forgot where I heard this before, but it’s so catchy.

Genre; Cinematic orchestra

Just rewatched this tonight, in anticipation of the next Spidey film and it’s trailer… whenever that’s supposed to come out.
Man, this film has a such a great theme. The medley of the key scores throughout is so great to listen to.

1 Like

New morning, new bops.

Genre: Dream Pop

Genre: Christian Bale’s Epic Terminator Breakdown
Artist: I have to return some video tapes.

What this song means to me: I love this band so much. Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He’s been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is “Hip to be Square”, a song so catchy, most people probably don’t listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it’s not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it’s also a personal statement about the band itself.

6 Likes

I always enjoy when I see comparisons between Huey Lewis & the News and Elvis Costello. An American band called Clover was the backing band for Costello’s first album, whose members would go on to join Huey Lewis & the News. I wonder why there are similarities?

I do love this parody.

Quincy Jones said they wrote this masterpiece in about 15 minutes.

Huey Lewis & The News did have a more Elvis Costello sound \since they were members of Elvis Costello’s backing band (They did My Aim is True) as well as other bands like that. The joke is Bateman really likes bands when they become artistic successes and mainstream hit machines over their more artistic periods. Because he is to emotionally shallow and intellectually vapid to appreciate their more artistic work. He says the same thing about Genesis, he hates the arts Peter Gabriel years but loves the Phil Collins years.

Peter Gabriel years > Phil Collins years for Genesis. Same for solo careers too.

1 Like

I like both of them and both their solo careers. They are both better than the cursed third Genesis…

Genre: Psychedelic Rock

1 Like

No way! Haha I actually call Peter Gabriel “not Phil Collins.” :joy:

We do not talk about the third iteration of Genesis.

1 Like

But if we deny it we might get an even more cursed fourth Genesis that is even worse.

I’m not sure how I missed this during lockdown. It’s half of the original Metro Station lineup plus some other guy and it sounds pretty much like metro station (no surprise) but I like it.

1 Like

Just found out about this:

4 Likes

I love this song so much and have a very surreal memory involving it. When Emma played at my venue, she didn’t bring an FOH engineer - so the fanboy in me got to live the dream and mix her band that evening. They played this song during the soundcheck and I had to act professional when in reality it hits me right in the feels.

What a wonderful show. I’ll never forget that.

4 Likes