Movies You've only Just Watched

The caged bird in BM is 100% certainly a Le Samourai reference.

I finally saw Hardcore Henry at a friends house and man it blew my mind. I didn’t really know too much about it other than it was a brutal 1st person movie and that Jimmy appears in PAYDAY. I had no idea about the science fictiony stuff. The action was really great too! I only have a few gripes.
The Jumpcut got too often and noticeable which to be fair, i can understand why, it just got annoying. I also noticed alot of sound effects being reused near the end. And that grenade launcher scene looked so bad… lol it made my day.
Other than those small nitpicks it was a really well done movie and i might actually view it again! :ok_hand:t4:

I recently watched The Godfather.

Maybe I’m just an idiot, but I don’t understand all the love this film gets; especially not the claims of “best movie ever made.”

It’s a fine enough film, sure, but there wasn’t a lot of substance to it. And it isn’t because of its age. I love Casablanca, and that released in 1942!

Maybe someone else can offer some insight?

The accent lies on the Italian style of filmmaking. You may have experienced the beginning as a little slow; a wedding moment which took about 30 minutes. The movie gives a great contrast to the bright and shiny wedding and the dark office in which dirty deals are being made.

There are not many kill/action scenes, which makes such a moment way more intense. E.g. the restaurant murder.

But yeah, The Godfather is done in a specific style and some like it and some don’t. It still is a nice change from the generic American mafia movies.

I agree that the restaurant scene is beautifully executed! Amazing acting, direction, camera work, sound design, etc.

What makes The Godfather a timeless masterpiece is that it’s pretty much flawless in every aspect of film making. Brilliant script, direction, and stellar performances by everyone involved (especially Brando and Pacino) make it one of the most amazing movie experiences of my life. The transformation of Micheal’s character as a family outsider who doesn’t want to be part of his father’s business to a remorseless Don who blatantly stands in a church and renounces “Satan and his works” while his men are brutally killing his opponents, it’s just a brilliant (and for it’s time, fairly accurate) portrayal of organized crime and how things worked at the top of the food chain. For a more accurate picture of how things worked with lower level gangsters I’d go with Goodfellas, another great film which imo doesn’t quite reach The Godfather’s levels of cinematic perfection, but a quite excellent movie nevertheless.

I normally feel that even the movies I love have certain things that I despise, but TG seems completely flawless to me even after multiple viewings. It’s definitely one of the few movies that deserves the “best movie ever made” title.

And last but not least, it has one hell of a memorable score:

I’m finally getting around to reading the book too and it’s been great so far. It gives the movie more context.

Edit: It might seem like I’m contradicting myself here but I couldn’t resist including this in my post. As much as I love this movie I never managed to wrap my head around how this scene made it into the film. Just look at the second punch :rofl:

Of course this is just a minor issue, especially for a movie that came out in the early 1970s but I always found it funny how they didn’t cut that part. That’s pretty much my only grip with the entire film :grinning:

I saw The Dark Tower.

5/10. Perfectly adequate popcorn flick - But it could have been so much more of it were more interested in capturing the spirit of the source material and not just loosely basing itself on the themes and setting of the Stephen King series.

Watched Dark Places. Pretty good adaptation with some great acting from the cast. Made me teary-eyed more than once, which is always a good sign.

I absolutely love Francis Ford Coppola’s commentary on the Godfather trilogy. I don’t think one’s experience with these films can be complete if you don’t listen to it.

Recently watched: She who brings the gifts

I think it’s a prime example of a shitty attempt to make the source material more interesting and create fake tension.

Excuse the “I read the book before the movie rant”

The book for me was a commentary on humanity. Everyone was very real and made selfish decisions. Just like the avarage human being. Overall they were all realistic and their flaws somewhat relatable too. The enviroment (Zombie/post apocalyptic setting) served to create reaction and tension between our protagonists. To put it simply it was a representation of real people in a hostile setting.

The movie however misses it. Though I give credits where credits are due, it managed to capture the atmosphere, aestetics and the casting wasn’t too bad. (Eventhough some etnic backgrounds were changed for unknown reasons…)

It ended up being a arthouse gore flick. Not in a good way. If you are familiar with the book maybe check it out. It’s nice to see it on film. But don’t get your hopes up, it’s yet another throwaway flick. Plot points are glossed over and skipped in a very random fashion. Bad writing or bad directing, I can’t tell.

However if you are not familiar with the books and like horror and a zombie setting, do check it out. It’s not too abysmal considering the usual standard of the gerne…

I’m not sure if this belongs here, but I don’t care It’s a joke plz don ban
@MRGaming

Hacksaw Ridge. Good film and a good performance from Andrew Garfield. There’s quite a stark contrast between it and Dunkirk - on one hand you have an ultra violent story of heroics from the pacific theater and on the other a PG-13 psychological thriller from the western front. Really interesting to see WW2 depicted in such different ways.

Saw War for the Planet of the Apes recently. It’s okay, sort of dumb; first one in new series was the best of them.

I just saw ‘The Bucket List’ for the first time this weekend. Being ill has the benefit of actually letting me do this kinda thing. Also I cried at the end, I think I may have a heart after all.

Last night I caught the last 40 minutes of a movie called “Heat”

With Pacino and De Niro.

My favorite parts of the movie where just the scenes with those two especially the scene in the dinner. That scene taught me there is a limit to writing-the actors have to carry you the rest of the way.

Another movie that makes me love the “look” of L.A. I think I am a fan of movies that include the city as a character.

From what I saw of the movie I was impressed even though I felt like in some scenes it was feeling itself a little too much-and should have been cut. Good movie

Great movie!
Incredible cast!
And one of only a very small handful of films where I enjoyed Val Kilmer.

Heat is a fantastic film and deserves to be seen in full. Do it!

I’m tempted to link you to the famous shootout, but you should really watch it in context. The tension that builds up to it is excellent.

You talking about the one after they robbed the last bank-the shoot out in the middle of L.A. ?

Something told me that scene is probably legendary just from the amount of bullets shot and how long it was.