Switcher Gets The Lore of The Game Entirely Wrong and Others Correct Him

I hadn’t seen any Trilogy (as a whole) dedicated thread and I’ve encountered some members of the community that had some major mistakes with the game’s lore and I want to explain it in the best way possible.

Paris:

The link between Grey and Viktor was simply that Viktor hired him to eliminate Nicholai Kamarov, an FSB agent that was mounting a case against Viktor and IAGO. Rather than paying Grey with money for completing the assassination and wiping all traces of the case Kamarov was working on, the payment was a copy of the NOC list. There was no blackmail, it was just the transaction that was mutually agreed upon previously as Viktor was obviously not wanting to be exposed.

Grey sends a text during the cutscene. It goes something like “Leak the names. No loose ends”. Its implied “the names” are Viktor and Dalia as it gets sent after the “I’m sure it’s the one you’ll be remembered for” line.

Sapienza:

The point of Sapienza was to lure the key bearer out so that Grey could obtain the second key he needed for the vault - though it had the bonus of Ether having Providence ties.

Silvio and Franny were just Ether workers with no straight connection to Providence

Marrakesh:

Both Claus and Reza are Providence, and we know that because of “Providence is Under Attack” there is a mention of “The Marrakesh Coup” by Edwards himself, and we know that they are a part of Providence because of the Tornado Shelter.

Bangkok:

Ooooohh this is the juice, I don’t want even to explain how we know that they are both Providence, some of the most important ones, they are both mentioned multiple times as Providence related characters, either by Thomas Cross or Don Yates, not knowing they are Providence is not paying attention to the simplest conversations.

Grey didn't hid his path greatly enough:

After the ICA understood that someone was behind all of the contracts, they were like “Fuck, we gotta figure this out and get rid of these assholes” the ICA managed to track down Olivia in Colorado and sent 47 to his hardest contract in the trilogy, and even though the ICA were fine enough with the death of the 4, Diana wanted to find out the fuck has been going on.

Colorado:

Yeah, both ICA and Diana thought Sean Rose was the Shadow Client, yeah aight, they were incredibly wrong, only after 47 killed the 4 goons and witnessed Grey’s “Great Walls of Secret Stuff” they found out that the providence is real! What a shock!, and they saw plenty of Providence related goons on the walls, but there was one rich scum that caught Diana’s eye, our buddy Soders, since Soders is ICA, ICA is Neutral, and Soders clearly isn’t, he needs to be eliminated.

Hokkaido:

We found out that Soders is a herald in Colorado and Diana says in the Mission Briefing that Yuki is a herald as well, the reason we kill Yuki as well is that Soders gave her access to ICAs network, compromising it.
And if you didn’t read the Colorado explanation:

since Soders is ICA, ICA is Neutral, and Soders clearly isn’t, he needs to be eliminated.

In the “Partners, Then?” cutscene, Edwards is getting pissed at Diana for taking out Soders and Yuki, asking her for help to take down his enemy, but since she is neutral she doesn’t give him a positive answer, he gets cocky, blah blah blah.

Hawkes Bay:

The ICA analysts tracked down another militia member, Alma, requested to take her out too, but 47 and Diana seek information on the shadow client instead, and find leads to Kronstadt, both Sierra and Robert.

Miami:

47 kills both Heralds, Sierra and Robert, this is a part of 47 and Diana’s fight against Providence, but not only Providence, Robert and Sierra have also made deals with the Miltia and asisted them with the attack on Tungan Valley, in order to escape the fate of being their next targets, and avoiding their deaths, yea, that shit didn’t worked.
Constant refers to Robert as a traitor aswell, he is sensitive as shit.

Santa Fortuna - Mumbai:

Diana and 47 now know that Lucas Grey is the Shadow Client.

The Santa Fortuna Trio are all Providence and work with Grey as well.

The Mumbai Trio are all working with Grey and have no connection to Providence, Wazir was specifically Grey’s employee, he was Militia by all means.

Fuck it I’m going to sleep, I’ll continue this tommorw, this is enough for now.

9 Likes

You trying to get a jump on that 2023 Lore Expert award? :joy:

2 Likes

Nah, it’s actually me still being triggered by that dude in the freelancer leaks thread that I had an argument with, I mean, he missed the whole fucking point of Hitman 3 :joy::sob::joy:

2 Likes

You make this thread to explain the lore but you also get things wrong and skip details :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah I bet, thats why this thread is called “Attempting” lol, there are also lots of non important details in the games, Paris - Bangkok were Providence Heralds contracts given by Grey, and Hawkes Bay - Mumbai is Diana and 47 taking out Militia Members, it’s hard to explain and it’s easy to get it wrong, also the plot of the games didn’t started till Homecoming, anything prior to that felt like hidden messages and buildups

I haven’t focused much on the lore for a very long time, but I stopped reading after Paris because of all the things that were just wrong that I saw no point in continuing. ie:

The link between Grey and Viktor was simply that Viktor hired him to eliminate Nicholai Kamarov, an FSB agent that was mounting a case against Viktor and IAGO. Rather than paying Grey with money for completing the assassination and wiping all traces of the case Kamarov was working on, the payment was a copy of the NOC list. There was no blackmail, it was just the transaction that was mutually agreed upon previously as Viktor was obviously not wanting to be exposed.

2 Likes

The NOC list is the MI6 thing, the payment was more than that iirc, it was all the data collected by IAGO over the years, so a lot of info on the people they spied on

Oh yes, there’s dialogue from Dalia referring to it as “the IAGO dossier”. Oops.

Yeah, incorrect from the get-go. In the fist place, the first four missions did not have Providence members as targets; only one mission had Providence targets. That was A Gilded Cage, the targets of which were explicitly actual members of Providence. Caruso and De Santis we’re only tangentially connected to Providence by working for Ether on a project specifically commissioned by Providence; Cross was the son of a high-ranking member; and Morgan was a partner in the law firm Providence usually used to protect their assets, and one of his partners (Yates) was an actual herald. There’s no explicit indication that these four knew about Providence’s existence, and are all likely unaware affiliates, rather than members.

For Novikov and Margolis, it’s especially egregious, as they are most definitely not Providence members; they were spying on Providence members and hadn’t yet put it together that most of the people in their dossier were all part of the same global cabal. Grey had them killed to tie up “loose ends,” as he put it, so that Providence operatives couldn’t go to Novikov and Margolis and find out what IAGO had on them and who they gave the info to, so Providence would never know what Grey’s initial target was (another herald key and the vault with the data on assets and operatives). The first mission of the main story has nothing to do with Providence directly, other than the hints that the secrets of the global elite Novikov described are hiding something big, and that picture only starts coming into focus by the second mission. Hell, Grey probably wasn’t even sure IAGO had anything on Providence and was just winging it. If that dossier hadn’t given him the info he needed, he’d have had a much harder and longer time trying to figure out the organization’s weak points.

1 Like

Ah fuck I’mma delete this thread, tho I didn’t found any WoA Lore thread so we are kinda in need for one.

Edit: yeah, it doesn’t let me deleting this thread, idk why, instead I’m just making it a wiki, if anyone just wants to ahead and correct my mistakes, I’m all in for it.

@thrison 1 thing I don’t get, is why the Grey then set a contract on Viktor and Dalia? I get it, I was wrong, they were not providence, but in that part of the game Grey was setting contracts on Providence heralds, so what was the point in taking them both out? Not leaving loose ends?

1 Like

Yup. He sends a text during the cutscene. It goes something like “Leak the names. No loose ends”. Its implied “the names” are Viktor and Dalia as it gets sent after the “I’m sure it’s the one you’ll be remembered for” line.

1 Like

Oh, fuck me, it took me like 30 mins to write the whole wrong thing down

Another question, who breached then the messy safe in “Providence is Under Attack”? I thought Viktor and someone else did it since he gave secret info on Providence to Grey, but I guess I’m wrong, do you know who did it, or the game doesn’t answer that?

It was Grey, or someone working for him at least. He had the first key from Cobb and the second from the guy he kills in the car in Johannesburg after Sapienza.

1 Like

Yeah, that was Grey, working off the info that Novikov gave him. Novikov and Margolis had that info because they’d been hooking their spy girls up, unknowingly, with Providence members, who then shared secrets with them while drunk and things like that.

1 Like

I feel dumb at this point, yeah, IOI made it hidden and right in front of the player in the same time, so let me get this straight

Paris - loose ends
Sapienza - Bangkok - Providence
Colorado - Militia
Hokkaido - ICA and Providence

Is it right so far?

Not really. Sapienza was to lure the key bearer out so that Grey could obtain the second key he needed for the vault - though it had the bonus of Ether having Providence ties. Marrakesh was the only one that was really a strike specifically against Providence (as far as I can recall anyway). Bangkok was to lure out Thomas Cross so they could kidnap him and drain his bank accounts to fund the militia attacks.

Ohhhh damn, wait, why couldn’t he kill him earlier? “I followed you from Italy”, didn’t Grey had any chances prior?

So it is kinda in between, though killing Ken was pretty much only to attack Providence, right?

I guess not. Would be no reason to wait if he had seen an opportunity.

I don’t remember seeing Ken on the wall of the tornado shelter so I could be wrong, but because I don’t I guess that the Highmoore’s just wanted him dead because of the part he played in saving Jordan from prison and so they added him into the contract with the ICA - making him collateral damage. Just because Yates was part of Providence, it doesn’t mean the entire company was. ie Soders was the only (known) Providence operative within the ICA.

• Silvio and Franny were on the tornado shelter wall tho, doesn’t it make them Heralds?

• So the only purpose of Ken was getting to Jordan, and the only purpose of Jordan was getting to Thomas?