47's Problems

Maybe it sounds silly, but I think it would be interesting if 47 had a small weakness for animals. We all know that 47 developed a special bond to a rabbit as a “child”. Considering what he did to that bird in BM, it’s not likely to happen though. But at least if a rabbit could appear in a level, and it could be used as a reference to his early days with 47 showing empathy towards it.

9 Likes

It’s difficult to list his flaws but in my opinion, his biggest limit/weakness is tunnel vision. 47 sees the world almost completely in black and white, something that could be taken advantage of by an skilled enemy. Just to be clear, what I mean is 47 has a specific way of function - sneak in the back door when nobody’s looking to make it long and short. There are of course different variations but charging in guns blazing is always a last resort.

It’s pretty much like a well oiled machine. You just have to find ways to throw a wrench in it. But that all depends on what type of antagonist he’s facing but that’s a whole other discussion. As for making him a more interesting character, I say instead of searching for ways to try and humanize him, expand on who he currently is and what he does. He must have an opinion of the world around him.

What does he think about his work? Maybe he can narrate on killing methods he prefers. Maybe he studied other assassinations. What are his thoughts on other illegal businesses like the drug trade. Sometimes when I’m watching movies or TV shows I like to picture how 47 would respond to these situations. You can come up with some surprising stuff.

1 Like

While it’s difficult to come up with a weakness for 47 since he’s supposed to be a “perfect” human being, one of his personality traits could be considered one, his inability to feel fear which means he can stay completely calm under stressfull situations also means that he’s going to stand out from the crowd when something dangerous happens (Something that 47’s responsible for) like blowing up a car. That could potentially rise suspicion of him.

Very well said. If developers wanted to create interesting story with 47, they should rely on these weaknesses, not on mentalist sheriff or so-ingenious-but-basically-moron adversaries. In my opinion to make interesting plot, its characters have to have natural flaws, what would make movie/plot more plausible and interesting, not like decerebrating action movies. While 47’s supposed to be perfect killer, he should have other flaws - like those you mentioned, not directly connected with his killer abilities.

1 Like

While I don’t disagree with 47 having a few weaknesses,for example his regret in SA,but Absolution wasn’t enough for this?! I think it’s time to see 47’s dark side again,

I do not like the idea that he is dependent on a person … Something that does not correspond with an Antisocial Personality. (Incapacity to maintain enduring relationships) The idea of an accidental alcoholism was not bad (Like Bond in Skyfall). But I like idea that he does not consume alcohol to conserve the most perfect control.

In general, I would like that IO continues to work on his associal behavior and its consequences.

(I support the idea of the rabbit, provided it does not end up like the canary …)

47 seem to use smartphones:

He uses probably simple phones for security reasons. I think 47 masters the current technology.

The legal of this artwork

For his ballers, certainly like Golgo and his 38.

lol don’t make me laugh. why don’t you try backing up your comments with some proof/facts for a change?

2 Likes

None of the weird alcoholism/tattoo stuff that IOI was thinking about is necessarily bad, but they need to earn it.

47 was a pretty human character in Hitman 2 and it’s easy to imagine that version of 47 going down a road of alcoholism, etc. to cope with his perpetual identity crisis. But in Contracts and Blood Money, they pretty much intentionally reduced 47’s character to “I AM A BADASS HITMAN WITH NO FEELINGS.” Then in Absolution, they snapped back to some new version of a human character that we had no context for and it was just weird.

I’m all for seeing 47 as a more human character with various human vices and problems, but they need to develop it instead of just throwing it in at random and assuming we’ll accept it.

7 Likes

I disagree that substance abuse/alcoholism necessarily comes from social activity. People just as often get drunk because they feel isolated as because of peer pressure. And in a physically demanding profession that would probably leave you with a lot of physical scars and pains, pills or alcohol would be a relief. I definitely think 47 keeps his pain under control, but it’s probably always there. You can’t get shot, fall off stuff, climb buildings, get in fistfights ect. for decades without your body starting to protest, even if you’re enhanced beyond normal human capabilities.

Substance abuse would only be a “normal” problem if you ignore the very not-normal reasons it could come about.

Personally, something I’d like the series to expore is age. Like, a game with huge time gaps between the missions, so the game gets harder not only through the guard setups and such, but because you start to lose your abilities and become slower as you age. Like Absolution’s ability unlocks but in reverse. It would be a great way to directly tie the narrative to the game mechanics. But that might be too experimental for this series, especially since its fanbase has been asking for a more conservative approach. I’d like to see some other assassination-focused series try out that concept though.

Nother thing that I think might be interesting as far as flaws is 47 needing to go with a more public cover for his hideout. He’s used to spending all his money on equipment and using only the bare minimum for living space, imagine him trying to be a normal neighbor in a suburb? It might sound like the pitch for a sitcom, but it could be a less dour framing device for those who wanted a return to some of the older humor in the series. Obviously this would just be a between-mission space.

I’d like to see more interactions between people 47 sees as an equal. He seems to consider most people as beneath him, and only a few like Diana as authority figures. He never really has mutual respect with anyone in his line of work. And I think it’s a bit odd that it seems like he’s the only really skilled assassin the agency employs. All we’ve really seen of the agency is their undercover agents and their “blow everything up” cleanup teams.
Obviously I don’t want it to be like the movies, where all of the other clones are the agency’s operatives. But just to confront 47 with more people who are like him, to some degree, and see what those conversations are like.

3 Likes

First it’s animals, then it’s humans.

47 is already interesting. Those are good ideas though, except 47 being oblivious to pop culture. He’s an assassin who kills people in crowded areas and sometimes he has to talk to people. He should understand what people are saying.

A drink or two never killed anyone. Frankly, I think a glass of whiskey makes 47 seem more human, as opposed to having a stick up his ass all the time.

And I disagree with the notion that drinking/drug abuse correlates to social activity. A lot of people drink by themselves exclusively. Heroin is a solitary drug.

People become isolated drinkers by the time they become dependent on drinking - often because they are now not just drinking at times when everyone else is but also times when society frowns on it. It’s why it’s stigmatized and people worry about drinking alone means they’ve become an alcoholic. Drinking is not something you can really just get into because you’re bored and near a liquor store - for starters how would you even know what to buy? It’s not easy without a frame of reference.

One of the few good scenes in the Hitman movie is the one where he orders a scotch on the rocks (a good one based off the dialogue) but then doesn’t really know what to do with it. It makes sense because scotch is an acquired taste and unless you’ve been mentored in appreciating it and cultivating your palette it’s hard to see the appeal. Most people would not come away with a good view of drinking if their first experience was a Laphroaig on the rocks.

Heroin, even moreso, since you have to have a way to get it and need to know how much of that particular dealer’s actual heroin and how much is cut. Part of the way heroin addicts get trapped into it is fin someone who suggests they have a great way to take away their problems and let them enjoy themselves - all it takes is some powder, a pill or even a suppository).

Sure by the time they’re needing to inject in order to feel it - then it becomes a solitary drug because shooting up makes people uncomfortable and increasingly it becomes less about feeling good and more about escaping withdrawal (and the baggage the habit has brought). Pretty much all addictive drugs become a solitary drug if you come to a point where you’re compromising your lifestyle and friendships to get your fix.

The reason why support groups are such a big thing in addiction recovery is because addicts usually have become isolated by burning all their bridges with all their friends, coworkers and even family. The reason why the dealer who stands outside an abandoned building can look so shady and blatant about dealing is because their clientel are 1. too addicted to care about shame or risk 2. from a demographic that society no longer cares about (ie they’re poor AND addicts).

With the rare exception of people who are born with addictions and don’t lose them by the time they’re old enough to speak - everyone who uses a substance had a life before that substance had to be introduced to it. That’s the real tragedy behind addiction and part of why scare campaigns don’t work, because you don’t get introduced by the addict who’s burned out, you get introduced by the person who’s using and loving it.

1 Like

I was writing a long wall of text but I just deleted it all. I say this: 47 was a failed test subject. He questioned orders and had emotions. That is why ort-meyer did what he did and unleashed 48’s. One might argue that 47 defeated all of the 48s so he wasn’t a failure. But the fact that 47 questions orders and can be partly emotional remains intact.
That could explain why he occasionally drinks or goes to a church for absolution (the actual word of absolution) or cares about a fellow clone. Depending on how you look at all this this could be a weakness.
As a hitman fan I think 47 was solid in absolution. He kept is shit together and was a total badass. He was sloppy when he got electrocuted by that sheriff but his badassness was intact the way I see things.
Still I don’t understand what you are exactly trying to say here. Are you trying to end the discussion of drinking 47 and imply that 47 has bigger problems than occasional drinking? or just my misinterpretation?

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing but a deleted scene is a deleted scene so it isn’t canon. Still I can’t quite remember why exactly 47 was sad there. I know all the drinking was cut from the game but he was still sad. Was it because of killing Diana ?

It was. And I actually really like that scene.

2 Likes

Thank God that didn’t get into the game. 47 stumbling around drink, having insomniac episodes and stroking his face with a revolver was horrifyingly cliche.

Also, why is he feeling so crap? I know it’s because the audience thinks he died Diana Burnwood but it’s later revealed he only shot-to-injure so what’s up with him?

I’m pretty sure it was originally meant for her to actually die. Which I would have been all for, I’m always up for some change of characters.

1 Like

There was no explanation either so we’re just left to assume he only injured her.