Actor / Actress Appreciation Thread

A thread to show your appreciation for your favorite actors & actresses. Talk about your favorite and what various movies you liked that person in and why. I’d have to start off by saying Robin Williams.

He has definitely got to be one of the most gifted actors in my opinion, I’ve ever seen. How he can pull off Comedy, Drama, thrillers, etc (and completely nail it every single time) is amazing to me. Not all actors are that gifted where they can be totally believable in every role they play. Especially when playing roles in various genres.

Williams was a gem and definitely one of my all time favorite actors. It is truly heartbreaking we won’t ever see him in more films. RIP

So how about you guys? Who would you pick??

4 Likes

I swear not a week goes by where you don’t launch a new thread. I would love to see the huge list of thread ideas which I have no doubt you have made :joy:

Also, Philip Seymour Hoffman, may he rest in peace.

3 Likes

Haha maybe… nothing wrong with that now is there? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just trying to open discussion on different topics I take interest in (hoping there are others on here who share those same interests)

I do not have an all-time favourite, but some actors that come to mind are Martin Freeman, Samuel L Jackson, Ardal O’Hanlon, Marlon Brando, Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock and Maggie Smith.

4 Likes

A breathtaking choice my dude.

5 Likes

Aren’t you all forgetting someone especially iconic and cool?

11 Likes

Nope…

He’s so awesome he gets his own appreciation thread :wink:

4 Likes

Can’t believe nobody’s mentioned Tommy Wiseau yet.

Dude produced, directed, wrote and starred in his movie

5 Likes

Keanu Reeves cause he is breathtaking
Laurence Olivier for being awesome at Shakespeare
Daniel Day Lewis for being awesome at method acting
Tommy Wiseau cause he is a Renaissance man if I ever saw one

1 Like

Two nominations:

Robert Mitchum, known for his firm noir (“Out of the Past”, the original “Cape Fear”) and if you’re younger than I am, for being the voice in the American Beef Council ads of the 1990s (“Beef - it’s what’s for dinner!”)

Mitchum had a great quotation on acting talent: “Teaching someone to be an actor is like teaching someone to be tall - either you are or you aren’t.”

Second, Heath Ledger. Before killing himself, he was the iconic Joker and great in “Brokeback Mountain”.

After losing the Best Actor Oscar (I think) to Philip Seymour Hoffman (“Capote”) Ledger said, “I thought they gave the Academy Award for the best acting - not the most acting.”

1 Like

Woah. Where is The Night of the Hunter? Mitchum was awesome in that movie.

2 Likes

Literally my thoughts. Thank you.

2 Likes

Peter Capaldi is one of my favourite actors of all time. As Malcolm Tucker, he enthralled me, and I loved seeing him sling insult after insult at everyone around him.

This was his best scene in The Thick of It

2 Likes

I loved him as the Doctor, but felt he was often let down by the writing in Series 8-10.

1 Like

Don’t you just hate it when a good actor with good characterisation is just bogged down by a terrible or mediocre script?

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly lol but hey, money talks. I mean wouldn’t you still do it if you were an actor?

1 Like

Doctor Who lately has been frustrating for me. Been a fan since I was a kid, even saw a few episodes of Classic Who before New Who started airing with the very first DVD releases my Mum bought me. It’s never really lived up to the old stuff in my eyes. Moffat stayed on way too long, and some of his writing was extremely frustrating, whilst many guest writers were often bad or mediocre. (Except for Jamie Mathieson, who did great episodes but hasn’t returned for the new era sadly.)

Now we’ve got the Chibnall era which I don’t find myself hating as much as I find it extremely boring, and the first Doctor I’ve not found great within the offset. Gone from hate to utter apathy. It doesn’t help that Series 11 only had 10 episodes, Series 12 doesn’t air to 2020, and it’s rumoured for the first time in 13 years, there will be no Christmas or New Years special.

If the characterisation is good, then the script probably isn’t terrible.

No I mean how the character is portrayed for example: I find Lucas Grey is very well played but the things he says are just terrible.

You get what I am saying? Sometimes the script and the things a character says are just terrible but an actor is able to carry that material through his/her performance.

3 Likes

Oh, I thought you meant the characterisation in the script.

2 Likes