Anime discussion

Is there any particular genre you are more interested in? What kinds of TV shows and films do you like to watch? If you want to watch a good slice of life anime with a focus on music, I’d recommend “Kids on the Slope” (Sakamichi no Apollon) and “Your Lie in April” (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso). If you’re looking for mecha anime, I can’t recommend Neon Genesis Evangelion (any other Eva fans, shhh!) enough and there are near countless Gundam shows. If you prefer comedy, go with Ranma 1/2, it’s old school, but the jokes hold up today and for stupid fun, watch Ghost Stories (Gakkō no Kaidan) watch the dub, they literally were given no instructions and free reign of whatever they wanted to say as long as the most basic elements of the plot remained in tact. All of those, with the exception of Gundam and Ranma 1/2, are standard length anime (around 26 episodes) so you can get through them in a couple of days and all are available on streaming services. A good semi-period anime, Samurai Champloo, was fun while it lasted, though it felt like it dragged on a bit, it’s very stylized. Another extremely short anime (6 episodes), also highly stylized, that I recommend is FLCL. It will leave you wanting more, and while they have recently released a couple of sequels, I haven’t watched them, so can’t speak to how good they are.

Samurai champloo was very good! I watched it twice. I like action based anime but I don’t like mecha anime, it never really appealed to me. Anything dark or violent or that involves supernatural stuff or fighting should be on the right track.

Watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. Trust me!!!

When you say dark, do you mean horror or do you mean psychological?

For kind of a mix of horrorish, psychological, definitely dark, lots of gore, you could watch “Death Frenzy” (Shigurui), though the anime doesn’t have an ending, the manga does and it is almost identical as far as the story goes, they omit a lot from the manga in the anime (including the ending). You’ll want the ending, so I kind of recommend reading the manga instead. It’s a story about two rival samurai who face off a few times over the course of their lives and how it destroys their lives and the lives of those around them.

I basically just mean a lot of violence and bloodshed or demons, vampires, killers etc.

For Gohan? Sure, teen Gohan ssj2 was a badass. For the series i disagree. Always favored Freeza Saga over Cell.

Hellsing. That’s exactly what you described.

You could also watch Berserk, similar.

Someone mentioned Akira earlier, I recommend that, but agree with what they said and every review out there, there’s a lot missing. It was basically created when the manga was half way done, so there’s a lot of stuff missing, but it’s a classic and you’ll never forget it!

And there’s always “Another”…

For Manga, you could read Battle Royale. Think Hunger Games, but way before Hunger Games was ever released (and Hunger games is totally a copy of Battle Royale!).

I think I avoided this because I didn’t like the look of the protagonist. I will look past this though and give it a try, thanks.

Hellsing is awesome :+1: can only recommend even as a person that’s not into anime
(and Lady Integra is my ultimate wife)

I am really picky about the media I consume.

I fall out of favor with stuff quickly.

I watched more than a few episodes of Goblin Slayer before I fell out of that.
I really like the concept they set up and the execution ain’t half bad at all. I have gotten bored of that genre of anime tho.

I watched almost to the end of Attack on Titan. I think I was good until the final episodes of the last season. It was a joy for me to see more about the politics of the city and less the mystery of the titans.

My favorite animes are

Ghost in the Shell (Sci fi tech thinking man’s show)
Cow boy Beebop (Great music and very moody)
Samaria Champloo (Great music, I love the mini stories and the take on Japanese history and culture)
The Boondocks (This is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen period-the music is on point-the whole thing is classic. A very good show about American black culture)
Detective Conan (I like it for the thinking man’s aspect-just a visual Sherlock Holmes)

Kenshin.
Hellsing.
Elfen lied.
Gunslingergirl.
Redline.
Indeed one punch man is a good one.

Yes!

YAAAAASSSSS!

I have nothing else to add just feeling the love.

Ah, yes! I forgot about Elfenlied! That’s a good one too!

I’ve been reading Goblin Slayer as it gets released in english and I read that the anime leaves out a lot from the manga. Have you read the manga and compared how you felt between the two?

No I haven’t.

I only learned out the show through controversy. Didn’t know of it’s roots. I will have to check it out and see if it fills what I am missing.

Goblin Slayer began as a light novel, I believe, and it is on its 8th book now? So I’m sure the novels have even more to them than the manga.

I take it Hellsing ultimate is set after Hellsing? The picture quality isn’t great on the links I’ve found. Is that just because it’s an old show?

utimate is a newer version in longer but less episodes but I prefer the old one… better told and cooler drawn and less cg…

They’re kinda separate, Ultimate directly follows manga, while TV one does its own thing, so you can watch them in whatever order. But yeah, the TV version, it’s hard to get it in a nice quality, and even if you do, it still looks aged. But it is worth a watch nevertheless.

Is The boondocks technically anime?

Is this thread about any animated show/movie or only those derived from manga/Japan?

Well as I made the topic I’m going to say any, I don’t care about it’s origin.