Any levels where you dislike the mission but love the map?

I can’t really, so I also don’t play many Games aside from Hitman that don’t have an Open World. I was about to think through all Missions of Mafia DE and 2, so that Game is still kinda open World, even if there isen’t really anything to do. (Also the only Mission I problably dislike here is the selling of the Papers, especially because I made a very bad experience with it. I sold all of them and plenty of time left, so for some reason I decided to not pay a fine for crashing into something, because I was right before Joes Apartment. Unfortunatly, there were four Officers who gunned me down in notime.)

1 Like

Good point. But there wasnt anything else to do than the main missions, while in Hitman we have contract mode, bonus missions, ETs. Other than Wolfenstein 2, which had bonus missions within the levels, I cant think of any other non-open world game with such traits. Hitman really is a master in terms of what you want to do with the locations. Sure, its only six each time, but there are so many ways to experience them all through different kinds of content, its amazing.

1 Like

Oh god I just love using the classicballer in there! I just go to Helen’s home, knock everyone inside out, wait for Jimmy Hoffa, you can see where this is going :smiley:

2 Likes

I can’t say these any better now can I?

Other than that, Marrakesh for sure, the location is beautiful but the targets just don’t cut it. Too spread out for my taste

I found that Chongqing really shined in Deluxe Escalation, it elevated the level. Putting the focus on the streets and rooftops, I hope to see a bonus mission take place in Chongqing. Like a ‘House Built on Sand’ it could elevate an already great level and play into the what many users fell in love with to begin with.

9 Likes

No one has mentioned Sgail but that one probably has the biggest contrast between mission quality and map quality for me. It has one of the most unique and interesting settings but I rarely play the main mission. The kills are cool, but the mission stories take too long and there aren’t many other interesting ways to do the mission. It’s the only mission where I haven’t redone the mission stories in H3 yet.
In H2016 and H3 those maps would be Colorado and Chongqing. Same thing, the targets aren’t that interesting gameplaywise.

6 Likes

Same. The mission is undeniably cool (possibly THE coolest) and has a very Jason Bourne-like feel to it, and while I definitely don´t dislike it, the way it´s heavily tied to the story and goes against the classic “contract” setting (and thus the feel I like most) just makes it very unappealing to me. It´s basically what Absolution would´ve been like as a proper sandbox (that´s meant as a compliment).

Yeah, couldn´t agree more. While I do enjoy Chongqing a whole lot more than upon release when the disappointment from not getting a “proper” city map was just way too big, I still have a bitter taste in my mouth when playing it. The Deluxe Escalation definitely highlights the design, so yeah, really hoping for a bonus mission where the whole ICA element is absent, especially if they could somehow add in some more interiors. And obviously, visually it´s stunning.

Have a similar feeling about Dubai actually. I definitely don´t dislike it, but there are some disappointing aspects to it that still leave a bitter taste…

As for Marrakesh - or rather A Gilded Cage - while I do agree that it would benefit from a bigger focus on the market/bazaar area (a la Mumbai), I still love it as a mission (definitely one of my most played) and actually have more issues with it as a map. There´s quite a few places where I´m missing more interconnectedness and variety of routes (and it´s not just the notorious Zaydan window, but places like the connecting rooftop to the shisha cafe that you can´t even jump off, something I would consider automatic in H2 or 3).

6 Likes

In my case it’s reversed for Three-Headed Serpent. I really like the idea of infiltrating a cartel territory to take out their boss and lieutenants, but from the stuff I’ve read about cartels I was expecting them to have gruesome things like their enemies’ heads on spikes in front of the entrance to the compound. The most I get to see is just some guy getting executed via headshot in the intro of the mission. I felt this particular level was really missing the grotesque elements of previous Hitman games, mainly referring to Contracts. Instead it just comes off as kind of goofy in general. And I guess the map feels just too big to me anyway.

4 Likes

Going to say Chongqing - but not for gameplay reasons. Love the aesthetic and level design (though agree that more indoor areas would’ve been cool).

What does disappoint me is more the character development with regards to the main targets; which can be a lot of fun in Hitman, even if the overall plot is shit and has been for decades.

For instance when you kill Hush by dressing up as a test subject and then battling him telepathically, it’s rather anti-climactic. I feel like they have worked some video game magic to make this a more fucked up experience, maybe some over-dubbed internal telepathic dialog, audial or visual hallucinations, something.

Also- test subjects leave the lab “different”? Show us!

They did a better job making a villain out of Imogen, but I still get a feeling they could’ve given her some more fucked up stuff to do/say.

Maybe I just need to play the level more to see all there is to see. But these should be the most vile targets in the series. Make me hate them!

1 Like

There’s a homeless man at the base of the stairs leading to the main square who mutters things without subtitles, warning someone else to not go ‘there’, but he doesn’t know where ‘there’ is. Then again, other than the people talking about a homeless woman who jumped at someone, they barely did show it, yeah.

As for my thoughts, Marrakesh is a great map with good contracts mode potential. However, I feel like Reza doesn’t move around enough and regardless of how self-centered he is, what guard would just let Strandberg stand in front of a window overlooking the protesters, that’s just asking to get sniped.
Reza also doesn’t have enough character compared to Strandberg. We know Strandberg as this corrupt, entitled banker who essentially robbed the Morrocan people. Zaydan is leading a coup, and although the two toilet kill guards tell us about his past a bit, what is he like outside of work?
The elusive targets for Marrakesh make good use of space. The Angel of Death walks around the crowds, The Gunrunner uses the enforcer-ridden basement and The Fixer gets good use out of the Shisha Cafe, as well as his courier who goes to a shopkeeper in the market area. Strandberg if uninterrupted will only stick to one floor, and Reza only uses one room downstairs as a part of a normal cycle iirc.

2 Likes

I guess this aspect is only present in the basement torture room where they held Neleis de Waal captive and beat him with a hammer. It’s brutal, but it isn’t present in the level which makes it the more disappointing(?). I cant say I agree with the head on spikes part. You probably got your stuff confused with the walking dead lol. Although I do agree things could’ve been more brutal. Rico killed one of his backstabbing sicario’s with a bullet to the head while IRL cartels behead people with chainsaws and machetes for less.

On the level - mission relation topic: I actually like the mission and most parts of the map a lot. What makes it less good is the interconnection between these parts, what makes navigation a chore.

4 Likes

The first 2 special assignments are cheating but still.

Really, really wish we could use them for contracts.

1 Like