April Roadmap: Rocky Dong Dong

honestly that would actually be cool. Honestly Arcade in general should have been built around some fun twists like that. Like for example people with mod tools can actually make multi target ET missions like IOI did with The Deceivers.

I’m not saying it in legal terms. I mean, basically, they go: “we’re going to turn you into a character as part of this game, in this specific context. We won’t use it in any other context, but we may put it into other games as we see fit. Here’s your money.”

Basically, if all they could get was a one-time deal, maybe the deal should’t have been done.

Well, the world of professional actors does not work like that.

3 Likes

Then I refer to my ending sentence. As someone who was not able to get H1 until late in 2017 after the Wild Card ET ran its course, and therefore never had the opportunity to enjoy this addition to the game, I would say that the shortsightedness in the industry of long term access on additional content for latecomers is unacceptable, and that if content cannot be added to a game permanently for ALL players past and future, then it should not be bothered to be added. My disgruntled opinion, but seriously, exclusive content is bad enough already without including content that has contractual shelf lives.

It’s not that it is impossible, it’s just the moment you ask the actor that the content may potentially be used and sold (in form of new games that conatin it) into the infinite future will raise the price tag to the infinite as well.

The only way out is to produce everything in-house. No fancy actors, no licensed music (if you are Rockstar) and so on. Luckily Hitman is already mostly like that, just like three contents bein excluded: These two ETs and the Sarajevo Six.

The purpose of these three things was also PR and, I guess in the case of Sarajevo Six, a more benefitial contract with Sony. They possibly resulted in more sales, which is good for following games and the studio expansion.

And honestly, if we talk about the longevity of Hitman, we talk about Offline Mode. I don’t think the need is quite there yet but that is what it should end with at some point.

9 Likes

Eh, I’ll take it.

Please allow me to disrupt the discussion on ET.I know that ET is a major feature of WoA series, but I don’t think it can continue to cycle all the time.ETA is the most failed update. Compared with ET, there is almost no change, and some ETA even just change the order.If you don’t update Freelander as soon as possible, I don’t think many people will continue to play this game.

1 Like

On what data do you base this claim?

1 Like

And yet if they did release Freelancer as soon as possible, people would move on from complaining about the time it took to release to complaining about all the bugs and glitches that would’ve been absent had they waited to release it.

5 Likes

Because ETA is completely just a repeat play of ET. These can be done in offline mode, but can not become a real "update."Just in my opinion.

Only through mods and on PC. Mods are unavailable on other platforms (PS, Xbox, Switch…). Thus, ETA becomes a way to replay ET on these platforms.
Of course, ET mods are better as it allows to play every ET without any constraint. But it concerns only PC players.

Freelancer and Rocky map leads the Year 2 content and are thus highly anticipated. Compare to them, ETA turns out to be a “minor mode”.
But I remember that past years, community asked IOI to introduce the ET permamently. They were relunctant as it removes the “elusive” side of ET. However, IOI said they will consider that.
And today, IOI released ETA, saying that they would like to keep something consistent with the specific status of ET. And when community complained about restrictions, IOI reverted back. They offered better suitable constraints for ETA, allowing more freedom in this mode.

When ETA was initially released, I didn’t appreciate this mode. But after few plays, I started enjoying it. And the modification carried by IOI was a nice addition. I really appreciated that IOI listen the community. They have their own reasonsand they sometimes try to find a way to please the community.

I understand your opinion. Here I just share my point of view about that: IOI put some work on ET. It would be a heartbreaking loss if IOI discard these missions forever.

7 Likes

So I don’t think this way of ET is suitable for the “elusive” understanding.IOI should be open and let players make their own mode of ET.Compared with the contract mode, customizing ET is bound to be more interesting. The IOI is only limited in the cycle of ET. If ETA is just for players to play these ETA repeatedly, I think it can be put in Freelander.As mentioned above, the number of ET is very limited. There is almost only one ET per map. The retransmission interval of each ET is very long.If players can make their own et, I think it will be better. But this is very similar to the featured contract… In general, I can’t find an exact and effective way to play ET. So…it seems that ETA is indeed an inefficient but no way.

In case if you’re not aware, ETs at the time was a concept to be a one and done kinda thing. So if you missed it, they were gone forever and that started with Gary Busey and Gary Cole.

So I doubt it Was about if they COULD get a one time deal and more about this is perfect for our concept of ETs being a one time deal kinda thing.

And when Sean Bean came around, the ET concept changed a slight bit with them (IOI) actually Reactivating old ET targets for ppl who missed any. So THAT concept kinda went into making Sean Bean Returns but for everybody.

So Bean wasn’t a one time deal, technically it was a 2 time deal cuz his return also got him paid. And again that thought was put in when their mindset of ETs would get reactivated.

If they were to get another celebrity, I’m sure IOI would find a way to use them more because the ET “formula" has changed to this point.

But how does that make it the biggest fail, or even a fail at all?

I don’t think it was ever seriously going to be considered one and done. They knew fans down the road who discovered the game would want access to those same targets, so I won’t give that to them as an excuse. For their limited options during H1 and H2, considering g the company’s situation, I can maybe be lenient, but still, if it can’t be made available for everyone, don’t bother with it.

Since PC mods have solved the limited ET issue, they think the update is somehow meaningless for everyone else. :man_shrugging:

Unfortunately that’s not the (or wasn’t the) founding idea behind the original ETs. They’re still meant to be elusive, limited-time content, both to increase their lucrativeness and possibly keep people from finding out how basic some of the earlier ones are.

The whole draw of ETs are essentially “exclusive experiences” given to players for free, letting people get a chance at playing through content others might not have.

It’s an unfortunate, limiting, manipulative tactic from live-service, games-as-a-service type online titles, and thankfully IOI have somewhat relaxed on the idea of keeping ETs “special” with the ETArcade.

And again, the amount of times they could use Sean Bean’s likeness probably ended up being decided by the price of his contract.
Putting Bean in a hypothetical sequel whose concepts probably weren’t totally finished when they first made the deal might not be a good idea. What if Bean dislikes some themes, concepts or situations in the 3rd game? That he’ll be forever tied to? Items that can be used against him?

I agree that losing his ET is sad. I do hope we can get something that’s just as novel or fun to replace that.

please please bigmooney ET

2 Likes

Ugh. PC. Get a console and play like a real gamer. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

39 Likes

The double eye patch is hilarious. The only NPC who will never ‘see’ you perform an illegal action :rofl:

6 Likes

You forget Diana

Edit: lol im dumb i get the pun now :laughing:

1 Like