Are you afraid of your own mortality?

Finally someone who gets it.

1 Like

Dude, if I’d done that flying parrot kill on The Revolutionary I’d have been fine to drop dead on the spot right there and then, knowing that my life had peaked and that it was all downhill from there.

3 Likes

See, this is the one that I despise. Nothing before, yeah, because you had not come into existence yet, but then once you exist, once you are in this profound state, you must inevitably leave existence and become nothing again forever? Then, what was all that just now for? If it’s nothing, then a period of existence defined by the ultimately doomed struggle to continue existence, and then nothing again, why was existence part of the deal at all? Better to have just remained nothing all the way through. Same outcome but without all the pain and the false hope.

3 Likes

Killing the Revolutionary with a parrot, I already told you. Sadly Urben is the only one who did it and everybody else in history’s entire existence is rendered utterly meaningless, but at least he gave the universe a purpose.

3 Likes

Until the next universe!

grafik

7 Likes

I watched my Grandmother die slowly of kidney failure after she had a stroke. I watched her formerly strong mind, she was an English teacher, slowly fail her as her grip on the present dwindled and she became more and more lost in the past. When she died, I think, even though she was afraid, it was a relief. There was no more pain, no more struggle, no more confusion; she just fell asleep and didn’t wake up.

So no. I am not afraid of death. Death is a gift of peace and rest. It is the ultimate equalizer, but at the same time it doesn’t judge or hate you, it just is. I personally think it’s just a part of life, another step in the journey if you will. Nothing to fear. And to be perfectly honest I’m not afraid of the process of the body dying either, since I’ve now observed it first hand. It’s a thing that happens to us all, but i don’t think it’s anything to be feared.

4 Likes

Hey now… I’m one of those damn bikers.

1 Like

I hope you’re good and responsible damn biker

5 Likes

Reading all these comments in Harry’s Reptilian Brain voice give me a good giggle :grin:

4 Likes

I don’t know that I am afraid of it. I do not like the idea that the lights go off and then it’s all over -gone -no memories. This is why I am slightly religious despite being highly skeptical that our souls survive and go ??? Somewhere ??? I’d just prefer that there is something where your consciousness is there with your memories. Unlikely but a nice thought.

Also, just like @scat1620 , I am not excited about the actual process of passing away. I have a sneaky suspicion that even a heart attack in your sleep isn’t too pleasant. Maybe by the time I’m 75+ it’ll be more acceptable to go by appointment with some anaesthesia or something where you just go night night peacefully and then don’t wake up.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

5 Likes

I totally feel that :face_holding_back_tears: I’m terrified of death, especially that it comes too soon. On the one hand, it’s because we can’t explain death, there’s no rational explanation of what happens afterwards. On the other hand, I’m afraid of dying too soon. I saw it with my father, who had just retired and then died of his illness in a short space of time. Even though it’s often challenging, I’m attached to my life and want to see and experience more. I think that apart from the fear of death itself, I’m mainly afraid of dying too young.

Ans sometimes I am jealous of religious people who are very certain about an afterlife or some sort. Like my mother. I wish my brain could simply switch off this urge for a rational explanation and just believe. Unfortunately, I lack this ability :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It kinda sucks but its also the only thing that we can guarantee WILL happen to us. Everything else is up in the air. I’m not bothered about it just yet. When I get older I’ll start worrying

4 Likes

Taxes my dude. We can also guarantee we will pay taxes.

2 Likes

Not necessarily! You could die before getting a job. Or have a debilitating health condition that stops you being part of the workforce. etc etc.

1 Like

You people don’t have value-added taxes? :thinking:

It’s a Benjamin Franklin quote, but sure, someone somewhere (many someones) never paid taxes.

Sales tax for us in the States.

Maybe you die before spending or earning any money!

For some reason, this topic reminds me of a memorable sequence from Deus Ex.

1 Like

Out of all the takes, this resonates with me the most. In the daytime, when I’m busy and distracted with living my life, it’s easy for me to say “I’m not afraid of being dead but I’d hate to die” and laugh it off. But at night, in the small hours, when I’m clinging to my sleeping girlfriend and wandering the halls of my mind, the thought of death will strike from nowhere like a lightning bolt and leave me hollow and sad. “This is it. I will never find out what happens to humanity in 100, 1000, 10,000 years. My name will fade out of record. The story ends.” And after I swell with pain, I get angry.

“Offended” is on the right track. It makes me rage at the concept of a god. Why create sapient beings that can die and know they’re going to die? What a cruel joke! That the universe should develop such a rich and creative thing as a human being and then give it a life span that just ends like that. It’s unfair, in the way that all unchangeable cosmic truths are. You can’t help but boggle at the size of it, and at how futile it is to rail against it. Even saying this is probably cringe.

I was raised deeply religious (think of a caricature of an American religious person and they probably went to my church), and this insulated me from existential dread for the first two decades or so of my life. As soon as I dropped that lifestyle and re-learned who I was and what I believed, I smacked into the death question like a brick wall. Where other people had had many years to cope with it in their own way, I had to stare it down suddenly. I’ve gotten better at it, but the horror still creeps in from time to time.

So yeah. Death is the worst. I hope we all get live out our time to the fullest, make each other’s world nicer, and conclude our conscious existence without much pain or dread. All we have at hand to make this messed up dilemma better is ourselves and each other. Never forget that.

2 Likes