Assassin's Creed Valhalla

3 Likes

not a big fan of how it looks/plays. very janky, although that might change upon release (obviously)

2 Likes

I read that AC Valhalla is the first AC that introduces dismemberment into the combat system. So Ubisoft finally broke the long tradition of AC’s combat. Looking at Hitman, I’m still hoping IO is planing to introduce it to the Hitman series as well, because, when done right, it would improve the feel of combat. The combat part of Last of us 2 looks nice for example.

1 Like

Well yes, I ment that a fleshed out combat system, similar to Red Dead or Last of Us would be a nice to have feature in Hitman, as it is the one game where it fits the most.

Though, killed npcs in Hitman never disappear and stay on the map, which is probably a tough technical challenge to work around, when aiming for a detailed ragdoll damage model, like the one in last of us or red dead.

…but it would be awesome to have something like this in Hitman
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vwm7LJTbXQ)

2 Likes

Would this mean that players would have to pick up each individual piece separately to dispose of the body? If it does, then I can already see people avoiding dismemberment system like a plague.

Honestly, I don’t feel that improving combat in Hitman would benefit it all that much. Lots of games do combat, but nobody does social stealth quite like Hitman. That’s the area that should be improved at any opportunity. Otherwise, it might end up the same way AC did – an amorphous blob of game design ideas with no real identity of its own.

5 Likes

The thing is, Hitmans combat already is somewhat at the level of last of us 2, it just lacks in detail in terms of bullet wound/ body damage and splatter effects, which might as well be only due to technical limitations because, as mentioned earlier, npcs in Hitman always stay on the map.

Take a look at the Lou2 video I linked above. What do you see there, that doesn’t fit to Hitman, or isn’t already in the game, just in a much less detailed version?

A simple solution to this: Play stealth
Or use low caliber guns, poison, a knife… a master assassin always finds ways.

1 Like

That’s what I’m saying. What’s the point of spending resources on the feature if players will purposely avoid it because it doesn’t gel with the rest of the gameplay?

Plus, I’m not really sure if more realistic violence would fit tonally with Hitman. LoU2 purposefully wants to make you feel like shit. Hitman wants to make you feel clever. The last thing you would want is for players to be horrified of the results of their own plan going right.

2 Likes

Its because all the features are already inside the game. Bulletwounds, bloodpools, slitting throats with a knife. You make it sound like Hitman doesn’t have any of those things. To clarify, im not looking for a change in Hitmans tone to make it “gruesome” as lou2. Just that a more detailed ragdoll damage model would fit the game perfectly and enrich the sandbox by adding some authenticity to combat.

Well, I wasn’t expecting them to have it in Hitman 3, but one can always dream :slight_smile:

1 Like

One thing I found odd and even mildly irritating about Syndicate is that there really is very little point in playing Jacob. The buffs for taking more damage that Evie has are sufficient, to say the least, and she can actually be invisible, but in a fist-fight she beats the crap out of the hardest opponents with no trouble just as easily as Jacob. So it was a bit of a thing trying to differentiate the two within the game, nice idea, but seriously, why bother playing Jacob except where there’s no choice?

They should have made it Evie’s game. I was annoyed every time they forced me to play as that buffoon and switched back to Evie as soon as humanly possible.

2 Likes

Does the gameplay demo contain any stealth? I just skipped through it and it was always open group combat.

2 Likes

My biggest hope is that this is a balanced take on the Norse Invasion of England. The last time the games actually explored a conflict especially a grey one like this it was *Unity but Unity had such a rudimentary understanding of the French Revolution I found it hard to believe it was made by French people.

1 Like

An incredibly important event that continues to influence the world today. I think the cherry on top was when they said women were hard to animate so that is why none of the mulitplayer assassins was a woman despite creating an immaculate recreation of the Notre Dame that was used as materials related to its reconstruction.

1 Like

Assassin’s Creed: Nocturne. You play as a cell of Romanian assassins as they form an uneasy alliance with Ottoman invaders as they try to take down the mad baron of Wallachia.

1 Like

Wow I can’t believe I was on point with that. Which is great because my plot would be the Templars either trying to get a piece of Eden from Tepes that he had in his possession, using the invasion to sow discord in Hungary and stealing a piece from Matthias Corvinus; library and/or sowing discord in (what is now) Czech Republic because I remember some of the fluff stating the Bohemian court had Isu artefacts during the Bohemian Renaissance.

So yeah you have a home base in Wallachia. With the cities and surrounds Budapest, Bucharest and Prague as exploration areas over a certain time frame. But my sense of Eastern European history is ropey so I am unsure of the time differences between all three periods but they should be close enough.

1 Like

Some atmospheric music from our old friend.

2 Likes

My first and only assassin’s creed I have played is syndicate. It is probably one of my favorite games I have!

Interesting article. I don’t agree about Jacob Frye, mind you. In terms of playing the game Evie is easily the better of the two. I think she’d have made an excellent lead, she’s a bit nerdy but has a more developed character than Jacob, who is a bit two-dimensional. The “story” of them falling out is a bit crap, too, though I can see the reasoning. They’d have been better-off sticking to her alone, writing it a bit more of a battle of wits between her and Starrick, like Holmes and Moriarty.

2 Likes

Deep dive trailer:

PC specs that make me grateful I’m a console loser who can just pop a game in and play:

And a decent number of accessibility options, including separate difficulty settings for fighting, stealth and exploration:

1 Like