The Remedy Games Thread

I always felt it was an post game thing plus its basic attack patterns make it easy I don’t think I even got hit once when I fought it. Also mentally I wasn’t putting a hold on my hostile interdimensional entity invasion to play mould control.

Oh so you around the epic part of the game. I still recommend waiting until you have finished the story. You aren’t that far away from the ending

You can play either/or but Foundation is also post-game content narratively. You are also mixing up the expeditions with the DLC.

The DLC has some neat side missions and the main story expands on some of the lore centred around the Bureau’s early days, The Oldest House, The Board and FORMER.

2 Likes

thanks for the tips, @TheChicken and @Accidental_Kills98

ah, okay. that’s the jukebox stuff, right?

i do like the combat. i have the same feeling with this as i did alan wake: i wish it had a bit more depth, but i really enjoy the spectacle of it.

i hope the possible/coming/inevitable sequel has more powers and weapons that can play off each other. it would disrupt the current rhythm of unloading each bar sequentially, but, as it is, it feels a complicated step or two away from genuine greatness.

fair enough. if foundations comes after awe, i’ll wait. that hotline cutscene was pretty hype though…

speaking of, has anyone tried the aw remaster?

2 Likes

Not yet, I plan to get into it this week now that I’m on school holidays

1 Like

You are most certainly welcome.

I have, having never played the original and playing the Xbox version I can say that it is good, it all works perfectly and looks really good. Just be mindful for the most part you will be opting to run away instead of fighting since the gameplay is more barebones. I mean it makes sense since Alan Wake is a horror game about a mostly normal dude and not a shooter with a parahuman like Control so just keep that in mind.

1 Like

sorry, i played it back in the day, i just wondered what the feeling was on the remaster. only one i haven’t played was that american horror b-movie motel one because iirc spiders.

1 Like

well, i finished the main story. i enjoyed it very much, though i’m still working out my overall thoughts on it. initial scattered thoughts are:

• looks great. plays great. one of remedy’s best imo.
  • i think it’s fast becoming one of my favourite settings/worlds
  • the darling/trench dichotomy was handled well and i really liked those characters
  • dylan was underused
  • overall pacing was quite uneven, being front and back-loaded
  • the ashtray maze was a tour de force, apart from the cheesy music
  • combat is spectacular and a good foundation for something even better, but the enemy ai needs a rework

gonna go back and kill that tomassi fuckhead, clear up the side missions, and then head into awe.

edit: did anyone else think that polaris is the player?

3 Likes

You take that back. :angry: (Or not. I do like cheesy music sometimes. :grin:)

I feel like detail-oriented lore-heads could give you a dozen reasons why that isn’t the case…but I thought the same thing.

And, I was trying to put it off, but I’ve started a third Control playthrough. I just played it over the summer…but PS4 saves/trophies don’t transfer over to the PS5 version, so it’s been lurking in the back of my brain for the past few months and I figured I’d at least start in on it since I’m kind of between games at the moment.

3 Likes

i’m sorry, i can’t stand cock rock

probably say things like “but polaris existed in-game before the player” or that jesse polaris has her own agency, but i dunno. i don’t think it’s one to one, but there are lots of little things that make me think it. silly example: the engine, north light, kind of makes me think of the north star which in turn is called polaris. given lake’s eye for detail, meaningful names, and love of demolishing the fourth wall, i’d be surprised if that little detail wasn’t intentional.

1 Like

I’ve been playing Control and I finished the main story and Alan Wake DLC. Haven’t started the Foundation, though. It’s pretty fun

4 Likes

I forgot to mention it, but I am completely done. What a fun game!

My first thoughts: wow, I only have more questions then I did finishing off the main story. I can’t really mention anything, I don’t think, without going into spoiler territory, tho. So…

First of all, I do not trust the Board at all. Despite having fought the Former twice, I trust it far more than the Board. It’s like someone on Reddit said: I love that insecty boi

I tend to play game with not very difficult boss fights. The only exception was Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, where it took me hours to defeat a single boss, in which I decided to change the difficulty level. Also Wolfenstein. Anyway, my point was that some of the bosses were really challenging. I had quite a bit of trouble beating the Former in the fridge fight. Surprisingly, Mold-1 wasn’t too hard despite its reputation. I actually found the Anchor and Mr. Tommasi more challenging

But despite some of the more difficult and frustrating bosses, there were some that I really enjoyed. The camera on the moving platform was so bizarre it was great. In my opinion, you never feel like a boss fight is too unfair, and most of your deaths come from either not understanding the boss’s mechanics or just your own faults

Where do I think the story is going? Hmm. Well, I feel like the Hiss were more like a first disc antagonist. Like, the enemies that are thrown at you to get you to understand the game or something. I don’t think they’ll be the final enemy in the grand storyline. No, I think that will either be the Board or the Former, and I’m leaning towards the Board.

I don’t really know what else to say. This was less a review and more my thoughts on the game… I say, and then realize there isn’t much of a difference.

I’ll be playing Alan Wake soon, so I’ve got something to look forward to!

3 Likes

I’m playing Control now issue is game crashes a lot on Xbox one. I’m not too far in to it but I am enjoying it.

4 Likes

This is very exciting news, and I can’t wait to see how good the noir city looks in their spiffy new engine.
Imagine… fully-motion-captured HD Sam Lake face.
Finally.

6 Likes

Alan Wake Anniversary Update

• Alan Wake Remastered is coming to the Switch. (Date TBA)
  • An Alan Wake TV show is in development at AMC. (Sounds like it’s in the early stages)
  • They show some Alan Wake 2 concept art around 7:55
  • Unfortunately, they won’t be showing off a proper demo/gameplay from AW2 this summer
4 Likes

That would be neat. Hopefully AMC wouldn’t turn it into a “run it into the ground” franchise though.

Bonus reminder: there’s also this cool Alan Wake prequel webseries Remedy made.

2 Likes

I mean, I’ll check it out but hopefully the game translates well onto film.

Saw this one coming a mile away.

1 Like

Here’s a lengthy financial development roadmap-thingy about Remedy Games. Lots of stuff about financials and what the business has been doing…

But there’s some mention of stuff they’re developing and its a lot!

• Supporting Smilegate’s Crossfire X and CrossfireHD
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Codename Vanguard, a Free-to-play co-op title with Tencent Games
  • A Control spin-off codenamed Project Condor (rumored multiplayer)
  • A bigger Control sequel/follow-up codenamed Project Heron (in prototyping phase)
  • Plus, the Max Payne remakes that have received immense positive reception at the announcement.
4 Likes

THE RETURN

October 13!
Two Playable Protagonists!
Parrallel Campaigns!
Dark, Survival Horror!

As the name suggests, the game is centered around horror writer Alan Wake. Today, in addition to sharing the release date, we’re also very excited to introduce a co-leading protagonist and second playable character: Saga Anderson.

A string of ritualistic murders threatens Bright Falls, a small-town community surrounded by the Pacific Northwest wilderness. Anderson, an accomplished FBI agent with a reputation for solving impossible cases, arrives to investigate the murders. Soon the events spiral into a nightmare when she discovers pages of a horror story that start to come true around her. Somehow the events seem to lead to Alan Wake, the horror writer who went missing 13 years ago.

Alan Wake, a lost writer trapped in a nightmare beyond our world, writes a story in an attempt to shape the reality around him and escape his prison. With a dark horror hunting him in the Dark Place, Wake is trying to retain his sanity and beat the devil at his own game.

The game begins with Anderson coming to investigate the murders in Bright Falls with her veteran fellow agent Alex Casey. After certain events have transpired, fans can play Wake and Anderson’s respective stories in any order they choose. Their journeys echo and foreshadow each other, in this intense atmospheric story, taking players on two separate dark and disturbing paths. We are excited to allow players to decide how to experience the story of Alan Wake 2.

4 Likes

Alex Casey is a series of Novels created by Alan Wake and is an obvious Max Payne Easter egg. Sam Lake will be the face model, but is voiced by James McCaffrey.

Looks like Alan wrote Alex Casey and his partner into the world as a way to get Alan out of the dark place.

While yes I do think the Quantum Break Alan Wake Departure Easter egg is intentional I don’t think Quantum Break is confirmed to now be part of this Universe. Them merely running with a concept they had from years ago.

3 Likes

I don’t think I will be the same person after seeing this. It’s gonna be so weird to me, since I never usually know who a game face model is before they use someone else’s voice. But I know Sam Lake…

1 Like

Looks like Remedy has decided not to release a disc version of Alan Wake 2. It’ll only be available digitally. It’ll also be $60 (US) on console and $50 on PC.

2 Likes