Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

haha, this is golden.

http://www.theonion.com/video/the-onion-reviews-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes,36436/

1 Like

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Wow. What a good movie. Please, don’t go see Transformers 4… go see this.

It’s a clear improvement on “Rise…” and that was in itself a pleasant surprise. The apes in this are extremely impressive, both in terms of effects quality and acting. Andy Serkis (Caesar) and Toby Kebell (Koba) were particularly good. There are also some pretty good and nuanced performances from the humans… Gary Oldman gets too little screen time, but still manages to get in one heart wrenching moment.
The drama/intrigue in this is really strong.

Also quite enjoyed the homage to Jerry Goldsmith’s original score for the 1968 film that appeared in one of Michael Giaccino’s tracks.

1 Like

I’m sad that these movies have gotten good reviews because I was so ready to pretend they were never made. The marketing makes them look dumb, dumb, dumb, and I’m pretty sore about how they apparently tread on the legacy of the original Planet of the Apes.

The original Planet of the Apes was great. Besides its genius twist ending (now worthless to anyone who has seen the reboot), the original implied that humans had destroyed themselves in the post-nuclear age and had left a vacuum to be filled by apes. Now (from what I understand) we have the apes RISING UP against humans, apparently all for the sake of CGI ape action sequences, because Hollywood has no interest in selling movies with subtlety.

I guess I should watch the movies before I hate, but from the marketing it just seems like a really reductive appropriation of a classic.

1 Like

I too am a huge fan of the original 1968 movie. I’d say the twist (if it is worthless now) has been rendered worthless just by passage of time though. Everyone and their mother knows the end, and if they don’t it’s clearly revealed on the DVD cover ;).

Anyways, it’s a bit of a spoiler, but the humans manage pretty well in destroying themselves in the new movie series as well. .

Just watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I love the original from 68, but the movies that came after did really do it no justic. Neither did Tim Burtons movie from 2001. But this one and the reboot from 2011 really are both great movies and i think they do justic to the original. But also tries somthing new, instead.

But i still think both Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, are horrible movie titels. Way to many “of’s” in the titel, i think it sounds horrible. When it comes to both films i for ones prefers the Danish translation of the title. But that is also only two movies where i like the translation into Danish.

Rise is what Batman Begins is to the Batman movie univers, and Dawn equals The Dark Knight.

I’ll wait 5 month to see it in HD since I don’t have the possibility to go see it in Cinema. I allways do this. Wait 3-5 month for a bluray release. When I watch a movie, I want to enjoy it as full as possible in every minimal detail.
@Kent I saw Transformers 4 and I liked it. The action and all. I don’t understand why people see it like a disaster

Because people have higher expectations from Michael Bay films than explosions and gratuitous violence. That’s why. Personally, I go into Transformers movies expecting giant robots fighting, and I get what I want.

But his movies don’t even have enough giant robots fighting - it’s all poorly done padding to hide the fact that the CGI budget only allows for a finite amount of time of awesome.

That’s why Pacific Rim was so much better, instead of padding with stupidity - they built up anticipation for the Robot vs Monster fights.

2 Likes

I have higher expectations from any films.

That being said, the action isn’t even that good (decent I suppose, but just bloated and overlong action sequences). I definitely prefer Pacific Rim like Jarbinger. The action is quality, and the humor isn’t shit.

That being said I don’t want to make this into “why don’t I like the Transformers”-thread, so I’ll stop there.

Note on “Dawn…”. The set designs for the human colony reminded me a lot of the Last of Us. Very cool post apocalyptic settlement.

I can see i was the only one then and when i came home from the movie, i even played The Last of Us :slight_smile:

You are kinda right. It wasn’t that much of robo fighting now that I think. But the action was really awesome

There is only one real action sequence in Rise and it’s at the end.