Do you speak multiple languages?

I’m constantly impressed by the amount of non-native English speakers here who have an amazing command of the language.

I’m British, and only speak two languages: English and Japanese. That said, I cannot hand write Japanese, though I can barely handwrite English anymore…

My goal is to move on to Romance languages soon.

So what languages do you speak? And are you working on any new languages at the moment?

5 Likes

no. não. nein. non. nope. nadia. neva.

4 Likes

English and Spanish. I don’t talk Portuguese, but sometimes I can get myself an idea of what people are saying, but it’s rare.

2 Likes

My native language is Danish.

I also speak more or less fluent English.
And then I know a bit of German (should have paid more attention in class :joy:)
And I’m trying to learn French :open_hands:

2 Likes

I’m dutch, since we are a small country we are obligated to learn atleast 2 foreign languages at highschool. Reason for this is that workwise we encounter people from these countries alot, mostly germans.

When you are doing MAVO (Junior general secondary education is what it’s called in English i believe) you have to pick 1 language outside English, either French or German.

When you are doing HAVO (Senior general secondary education is what it’s called i believe) you get English, French and German, and at a later point you can drop 1 of those, but can still choose to keep both. This is the one i did.

Then in college i had 2 years of Spanish in a former education, i finished that one and got my degree, but now i’m doing a completely different education, which will last another 3 years.

So at one point i spoke basic french, german, spanish, english and dutch. But since i stopped using spanish and french it’s basically down to three again. Don’t speak german very well, but can understand most of it since our languages are so similar.

5 Likes

Italian, English, French, Latin (that’s still a language, right? :stuck_out_tongue: )

4 Likes

Where are you from? It´s pretty awesome you know all those.

1 Like

Italy

When you have the chance, could you send some pictures of The Jewel of the Amalfi Coast? :wink:

2 Likes

Can’t do that from Murrica mate! Should have asked a couple of years ago :smiley:

2 Likes

i really want to learn another language, I’m not sure what, i know a little German, just to train my dogs, since they seem to learn German commands better. but I’m not sure what other language i would like to learn

Come on, at least could you send me the image of the typical redneck or senseless liberal?

Si
Yes
That’s about it.
I’m from Argentina, so my first language is Spanish.
I studied english since I was little and had the opportunity to live in Cambridge, England for a month.
Of course, auto-correct always helps…

3 Likes

I also want to learn Italian. Although for what it seems from [HITMAN], it’s pretty close to english…

5 Likes

English, Hebrew, Patwa, Creole, and American.
I am also fluent in all American English dialects.

3 Likes

Are you Jewish, or learned Hebrew from other source?

Everyone knows that Italian = American English

2 Likes

I am of the tribe of Judah, yes.

1 Like

That’s cool. Man, this forum is truly multicultural and diverse.

4 Likes

I am not sure anybody speaks Hebrew other than what they taught in early schools… Do you speak Yiddish instead?

1 Like