A future DLC like a GOTY edition?

I’m wondering if old ET’s can be reworked into actual missions. In H2 they started to combine some targets.

If we have say 4 ET’s in one map it could then justify adding some cosmetic time of day/weather changes?

4 Likes

Personally, I would love to see ETs repurposed in to mini campaigns especially mixing Paris and Sapeinza ETs together. Even the ones where only had two ETs like Bangkok and Colorado could work better as combined level. Could perhaps allow for more themed just ICA contract stories.

Though going for re-work levels would love to see some more love for Hawkes Bay, Whittleton creek like others here have said. But I would love to see a rework of the New York Bank level.

Set at Night where a bunch of Mafia families are meeting there with some of the heads meeting the CEO or grabbing something from the vault. Make the level pure infiltration and similar to Colorado in all hostile area without a disguise. Starting area could be the Car Park or the upper fire escapes, maybe even the Window can jump out of.

Will wait and see Hitman 3 levels if they can have re-imagined levels. (Though eying Dartmoor and a festival).

3 Likes

Hitman2016 sold well after Paris and the tutorial levels were available for free.

Some of the profits went into creating the Patient Zero DLC which involved repurposed maps of Sapienza, Bangkok, Colorado and Hokkaido.

With the end of the Hitman trilogy and >20 maps from Hitman2016, Hitman 2 and Hitman III, I could imagine that IO Interactive could repurpose maps from all three Hitman games in the trilogy as a series of paid DLC drops.

I bet if Hitman III sells well, IO interactive would agree to put together a paid DLC for sale after the end of the free extra content drops that including elusive targets and escalations etc. after January 2022.

It requires a much smaller team to put together a Hitman DLC repurposing existing maps.

3 Likes

If we’re talking a full Hitman GOTY, I’d expect a few levels from all 3 seasons. Plus I’ve been trying to watch as little as possible from H3 so I know extremely little about the levels, meaning I’ll only be going by the limited stuff I do know

1. Paris, a different sort of event rather than a fashion show. Allowing to open up the grounds more so targets can be placed elsewhere. It’s such a classic level it’s hard to think of switching it up massively, but a reskin would be great.
  2. Colorado, in a more civilian setting, maybe like a farmer’s market scenario which would explain more NPCs/civilians, and the ability for 47 to roam around. A lot of the outside would be freely navigable, with interiors as tresspassing, and a lot of armed farm hands (market is effectively a front for human trafficking)
  3. Hawkes Bay, like a beach event, a rave or something to add more to the otherwise barren beach (thinking Landslide stage, but on a bigger scale) and greater utilising of the house
  4. Whittleton Creek, with a overhaul of house interiors, using the buildings that aren’t Janus, Nolan or empty house as points of interest
  5. Dartmoor. I don’t know much of the existing mission beyond murder mystery, but the sound of a big house and its fancy grounds sounds great for a second outing.
  6. Berlin could be interesting depending on the club and what they use it for in the main mission, could have something either very innocent looking (like A Gilded Cage’s consulate’s ground and upper floors) or on the flip side, something really seedy akin to Deadly Cargo’s brothel, but bigger and better
5 Likes

Absolutely I would spend money on these, the Mumbai on with the tower finished and the whittleton creek at night?? Chef’s kiss

Day 1 I’d be all over it.

I think back though as well and rememeber them saying about the levels being made from building block system. Maybe that went out the window, but if they could use the assets from (example) Mumbai as a starting point to make a new spin-off/separate Mumbai level and group them together under the same location, that’s another kind of thing as well I’d be very interested in.

So many possibilities like what you say.

IOI has invested a ton of finances and effort in filling out all the environments and NPCs in 20 plus locations through the Hitman Trilogy, so it just seems obvious that they would spend a fraction of the time and finances in developing regular paid DLC scenarios like The Patient Zero after the year commitment to Hitman 3 elusive target drops and escalations ends.

It is possible that IOI would set up a season’s pass program after 2022 for their player base to purchase receive regular Hitman 3 DLC drops.

IOI conceived of HITMAN2016 as an “always online” games as a service, with an episodic release format. IOI was ahead of their time.

They set up the Trilogy with 20 plus locations, and have been careful to continue to serve their fan base, which has grown considerably since 2016.

2 Likes

They seem super-eager to get going full-tilt on 007, but I really hope they do throw down some DLC for us on HIII. This trilogy can be the ultimate Hitman experience!

2 Likes

I’d gladly pay twice the deluxe edition if they made this… Damn IO, please!

I like your ideas, really do though unfortunatly I can’t heart it do to the lack of Mumbai, I hope you understand.

Bungie’s Destiny (standard model) or Digital Extreme’s Warframe (free to play model) have regular drops of new content in their games as a service. Paradox Interactive adds paid expansions to their grand strategy games. The grand strategy game community, for example is a small fan-based compared to the first person shooter market. However, since Paradox Interactive is the major developer of this niche market, they can charge insanely high prices for their regular expansions, because those who are addicted to these types of games are willing to pay for it.

Hitman has invested in a base game and has cultivated a large enough player base to make permanent paid DLC drops worth their investment. The social stealth market is not large compared to the first person shooter market, but IOI is the only major developer in this niche market, and they have enough avid players to profit off of us over the next many years.

4 Likes

I know IOI have 2 studios? Is only 1 of them working on the 007 game? I hope they can make DLC or even a new hitman game at the same time, would be awesome, but as a long time James Bond fan, i’m excited for that too and i hope it takes alot of things from the World of Assassination

1 Like

Yes avid and greedy players!

Understandable. I wish they’d do more with Mumbai; it feels so vast that I think it would be a good map for separate missions (ie rejig the NPCs and not in the lacklustre way of the hypnotist guy) and they wouldn’t really have to do too much with changing many of the props in the same way I was thinking with other levels, which is why it didn’t make the cut for my list.

another home alone reference? :wink:

I would pay happily for 2-3 new levels every 6/12 months after the launch of Hitman 3. If IOI find this strategy profitable I think a lot of Hitman fans will be happy and we will have the ultimate Hitman sandbox/contracts-around-the-world experience for many years.

2 Likes

I think that IOI would end up with offering post-release paid DLC/expansions/season’s pass, given the large player base of avid fans of the Hitman Trilogy. I think that IOI has probably had this in mind from the beginning.

The problem with generating a new IP such as Project 007 is that it takes many years of no income, and a lot of input costs before it is released, and likely to very good sales, if it is a polished product.

So, in the meantime, they can spend a fraction of the cost in developing the Hitman Trilogy in implementing what are just a series of “elusive targets” that is to introduce new target NPCs into an existing or modified maps, and build a story arc around a series of a few of the 20 maps.

The game as a service model is based on building a fan base, who are willing to pay for extra content, once they are “hooked” on the game mechanics.

It isn’t much different than free-to-play video game or a barbie doll or an ink jet printer.

The barbie doll is cheap, but they get you on he accessory clothing for the barbie, the play camper for the barbie doll and of course you have to buy the Ken doll for the barbie (if you are a parent of little daughters you will know what I mean).

Ink jet maintenance costs more per year is more than the ink jet printer.

2 Likes

Me too, though they learned from Hitman 2 to not promise Bonus Maps. 2016’s Bonus Maps where also not promised before Release.

1 Like

Yep.

If gamers are promised that they are to receive free content or free upgrades or free progression import of Hitman 1 and 2, then gamers naturally go deeply negative on the developer for reneging on what they promised.

Much better not to promise anything especially after the full release of the Hitman Trilogy.

Unlike Hitman 1 and Hitman 2, IOI is completely silent on the extra montly content outside of the year of “elusive targets” and escalations as promised.

IOI has its fan base at their mercy once the Hitman Trilogy is completed, and they know this. Fan base know that IOI is turning away from the Hitman IP to be something other than the developer who makes the Hitman franchise.

I am sure that there are dedicated fans of Mini Ninjas, Freedom Fighters or Kane&Lynch, but most don’t associate IOI as anything other than Hitman.

The fan base will be pleading for more content once the Hitman Trilogy is released.

And then IOI will supply to meet the demand, but gamers will pay for it. There will be less complaints over this paid content, than complaints over expected free content not delivered by the developer.

1 Like

That too, though I wasn’t really refering to that, but Hitman 2, where IO promised Bonus Missions beforehand, while also planning to releasee Two New Maps, which resulted in the Creation of the deeply loved Special Assigments and less ET’s than planned.

The extra content in Hitman 2 like The Bank, Haven Island and the Siberia Sniper map were made with a very small development team, one lead – who conceives of the plan who then delegates to different “Tracks” to push out the content. Elusive Targets and Escalations also requires just a few individuals to generate the content.

IOI overextended themselves because they invested a team in multiplayer Hitman, which probably was more for practice and beta testing of multiplayer for a new, non-Hitman IP.