FIFA World Cup 2022 | Qatar ⚽

I turned it on at half. It’s been exciting. I don’t have any favs in group E so it’s just fun to watch without rooting for one team or the other.

Just finished.

1 Like

Yea it was fun. Stoppage ended 10 seconds early for whatever reason, but a really good 2nd half.

Was disappointed to see Japan lose against Costa Rica. They were clearly the better team during the course of the game, but the finishing efforts were just awful…

Just watched Croatia-Canada on replay. Great first half thanks to a very active start from Canada, but the second half left a lot to be desired… Was surprised Croatia actually managed to score two more goals there.

1 Like

This is how I felt during the Belgium game.

Although Belgium look like frauds this whole tournament tbh.

2 Likes

I didn´t see the Belgium vs Canada game, but I did watch them play Morocco yesterday and it was absolutely atrocious. Based on what you say, I assume their performance vs Canada was similar, if not worse.

2 Likes

Maybe that means the rest of the world is getting better and it’s time to stop giving 40% of the spots to European teams.

Whenever you use strength of schedule to determine who’s better these things can happen and there really is no other practical way with so many teams. Oh well. The NCAA football system has the same issue sometimes.

We were even worse against Canada. Our game against Morocco was a great improvement.

Should have had zero points, but somehow, we’re still in the running to making it to the next round. I don’t see the Red Devils win against Croatia, but in football, anything can happen.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Bruno Fernandez carried the entire Uruguay - Portugal game; CHANGE MY MIND.

1 Like

Well if that´s the case, I absolutely don´t understand how Canada did not win that game :no_mouth:

Yes and no I guess. It´s individual teams having their highs and lows coupled with the usual chance and luck. Anyways, I´m all for increasing the representation of non-European teams though (which is what we should be getting in four years, right?). It´s the main reason I enjoy watching the WC.

Watched the highlights just now and, no, I have no reason to change your mind :joy:

Anyways, yesterday´s Serbia vs Cameroon and Korea vs Ghana games were very fun to watch. Too bad Korea didn´t manage to score that third equalizer despite all the pressure they were able to generate. Should´ve probably tried a few one-timers rather than crosses all the time… (spoken like a true sofa football expert lol)

1 Like

I don’t want less of them is they deserve to be there. I just want the best teams. I was more ranting about strength of schedule rankings. Too much subjectivity, but really no practical way to avoid it except to reinvent the wheel and have all the non tournament winners play each other in another tournament for the other places. <<and that’s not really practical lol

1 Like

Capitalism vs Oligarchy Islam tonight, now that’s gonna be interesting. Security forces already in streets lmao.

1 Like

US advances to the knockouts!!! Christian Pulisic with the only goal of the game. I hope he’s already got kids bc he took a massive shot to the junk on the goal scoring play. He went to the locker room at half and never came back.

2 Likes

Congratulations! Couldn’t be happier with the result.

1 Like

Today I learned…
If multiple teams are tied at the end of the group stage in terms of record then the tie breaker is goal differential, if that is tied then the next breaker is goals for, the next tie breaker is the squad with less yellow cards, and finally something like a coin toss. I think they draw straws. Less yellow cards? Really?

Saudi Arabia scored in the last minutes of their loss against Mexico which gave the goal differential advantage to Poland and put Poland into the round of 16. Without that goal they also had tied goals for and it would have come down to yellow cards which would have put Poland in and sent Mexico home. I think that’s nonsense. There has to be a better way.

There are only 4 teams in each group so tied records are really common as they each only play 3 games. They are considering upping the teams from 32 to 48 which will mean more groups. I say up it but only to 40 and have groups of 5. With 4 games each there will be far less need for such things as goals for and who had less penalties.

Well you do have overall goal saldo, total goals and head to head result before it comes to the disciplinary points.

Which is usually enough (also in this case).

There aren’t really many other options since an extra match is not possible due to the schedule.

The first two tie breakers make sense and are in line with other sports.

I think I’d prefer time of possession before as another layer before yellow cards, but 1 more game per group would certainly help. There was a group last time that came down to yellow cards. I can’t remember who but the announcers were talking about it before Saudi scored since it was like 5 min away from happening again.

Edit* it was Japan + Senegal in 2018 and Japan went through with less cards.

Croatia should have gotten that penalty.
Belgium playing atrociously again.

1 Like

Germany- Costa Rica is bloody insane. insane.

2 Likes