Fight the EU copyright reform! EDIT: We lost

I used the quote because it was appropriate the name attached to it means nothing, the meaning behind it is valid. I could have said the Martian Manhunter said it, it would still at least be relevant to the discussion at hand.

A little update, some trilogues (closed door negotiations between the EU parliament, the commission and the governments) happened by now to find a final version of the copyright directive. The last one is supposed to happen at the 21st of January.

On the 19th there will be new demonstrations again. And despite them turning out small again, I can only insist to spend that saturday there if you happen to be at one of the locations. I found this link with the list:

http://www.stopacta2.org/stopacta2-events/

9x :poland:; 2x :de:; 1x :belgium:; :denmark:; :fr:; :finland:; :greece:; :hungary:; :it:; :netherlands:; :norway:; :portugal:; :romania:; :sweden:; :uk:

7 Likes

A little update on what is finalized, what isn’t and when will be the next steps in the process.

https://juliareda.eu/2019/01/article-13-almost-finished/

January 21 — Trilogue negotiations between Parliament and Council: Attempt to finalise the text
March/April — Final vote in the Council
March 25-28, or possibly March 11-14 , April 4 or April 15-18 (tbd) — Final vote in the European Parliament

March 23-26 are the european elections, will be interesting if a new parliament is doing the final vote. I expect them being more right-wing than the current one which, if I may note, would come in favour ditching this. Though I don’t know if this makes the EFDD (eurosceptic right-wing) grow as much as the ENF (far-right).
But if the vote is post-elections, one has to be aware there are then sitting politicians in the seats who are yet clueless about the matter and might just vote ‘yes’ for the creative industry.

For reference, here their voting behaviour in September:

Things I find worth noticing being finalized:

FINAL Article 13 applies to internet platforms that organise and promote large amounts of copyright-protected works uploaded by their users in order to make a profit.

• Note that “copyright-protected” does not mean “copyright- infringing ”! All creative texts, photos, videos etc. are automatically copyrighted, so this applies to all platforms where users express themselves, like Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, TikTok, Twitch, Wattpad, Imgur, Giphy, etc. etc.

FINAL These platorms are liable for copyright infringement by their users.

• This is the core provision: Legally, anything we post to platforms will be treated as if employees of the platform had uploaded it themselves. If even a single user commits a copyright infringement, it will be viewed as if the platform had done so itself. This will force platforms to take drastic measures, since they can never say for certain which of our posts or uploads will expose them to costly liability. They may well need to restrict who is allowed to post/upload content in the first place, demand personal identification from uploaders and/or block most uploads using overly strict filters to be on the safe side.
5 Likes

Update, something good happened just an hour ago.
The European Council canceled the next Trilogue date because the governments cannot find a common ground on Article 13 and 11. (Uploadfilters and Linktax)

This means the process gets delayed. The Council’s task is now to find a new final draft they can agree on. They will then announce a new date to meet for the last Trilogue session. If they are not quick enough, which seems likely, this will happen after the elections.

https://juliareda.eu/2019/01/copyright-hits_wall/

5 Likes

Nothing to do with the Copyright Reform but with the same outcome if not worse.

https://juliareda.eu/2019/02/terrorist-upload-filters/

Uploadfilters against terrorism was already on the table for some time, but they now got the first ideas how that should look like.
I recommend to read the article of her, but to summarize it, it is again this approach:

• “Plattforms have to find a way to implement that.”
  • “Nice company you have there. Would be a shame if you had to pay an horrendous fee for not complying.”
  • “It is no censorship if it is done by the market.”
  • “I said it is done by the market! Democratic control does not belong in there.”

Aaand bad news again. The blocking of the trilogue might be over (already). The issue for Germany and France was not the general criticism against upload filters, but only which platforms have to establish them.
France said: All of them. Germany said: Not those with under 20 Million € annual turnover.

The compromiss they’ve found: every commercial platform. Spoiler: pretty much everyone.

Exceptions exist only if these three points are true:

1. The platform is younger than 3 years
  2. The annual turnover is under 10 Million €
  3. The platform has fewer than 5 Million users per month

Note all of them have to be true. Small platform with advertisements older than 3 years? Sorry that means upload filters. I bet Google can give you some awesome software for just… a little monthly fee!

The final trilogue might happen at February 11th, 2019. Next monday.

https://juliareda.eu/2019/02/article-13-worse/

1 Like

Us Americans had the same problem I think a year ago…

USA abolished net neutrality, which was the biggest crime in that regard recently. Something very different (and very complicated) but still important.

3 Likes

I don’t see how it is complicated. Big Yank ISPs wanted to make money and they used their FCC stoolie Ajit Pi-Face to make it so. They fucked over everyone in the US all to make a few bucks. Maybe that is a vast oversimplification but hey that is how I see it, yet another fiscally motivated detriment to someone’s rights.

It is complicated because for net neutrality it does not only matter how local ISP acts, but also how the whole network traffic across the globe is handled. ISPs have to sign contracts with the providers of backbones and deep-sea cables to be able to route the traffic to other countries. It is hard to force companies how to do contracts, even for very regulatory states.
By simply routing traffic differently you can slow certain services down without breaking net-neutrality laws. You can even route through a country that breaks these laws for you so you don’t have to do that.
I visited congresses with all being activists for the Internet and this was the main topic where we couldn’t find a solution that works globally. And some visitors worked in that part of the companies.

3 Likes

Fixed.

20 characters

A-shit P(a)i-e That work any better?

1 Like

Small update, the governments of France and Germany decided to keep the positions of the leak I wrote about in posting #45. Next week the final trilogue will happen which results into the directive being finalized and ready to step into the final vote within the European parliament. Before the EU elections.

It is sad especially in Germany’s case as the coalition agreement for the government explicitly claims that uploadfilters are no proportionate way to strengthen the position of copyright owners. They entered a path they describe as wrong themselves. Damn liars.

EDIT: Tuesday and Wednesday Trilogues are happening.

1 Like

So the people who want this to happen are willing to go against what Germany’s government established just for their personal gain…
Don’t these bozos realize that what they’re doing is wrong? I doubt they will. Hell, they don’t seem to understand the Internet at all!

Worse, the German politicians who want Uploadfilters are the same who set up the former position in the first place.

So who’s left that’s willing to be against the copyright reform? Anyone?

There are quite some like Poland, but the biggest EU members (=most seats) as Germany, France and UK seem to favour it. And the opposition parties in every country are not all against it.
When the trilogues are over I try to get a list of parties/MEPs who have what position.

1 Like

The trilogue continued with not many surprises yet. Tomorrow the next session starts. But I want to mention that Axel Voss, the “guy” behind the reform, wants more extreme wordings. :frowning:

Oh and if you are a fan of bureaucracy, you will enjoy how the current version of Article 13 (Upload filters) works.

https://twitter.com/communia_eu/status/1095330495355805696

1 Like

The trilogue is now over and everything is as bad as expected. The text is now finalized. That was already yesterday but I was very busy keeping track of social media to catch statements of politicians and getting an idea what people are up to.
In Germany for the rest of the day #NieMehrCDU was trending at the top of Twitter, which states to never vote for the CDU again because they are the main supporter in Germany. It is the party of Axel Voss and Angela Merkel. I fear the reaction is a straw fire but there is hope more are aware of it now.

This is important now: They want to be reelected. If you are an European and know if an election campaign is happening near you:

1. Inform yourself with what I posted in this thread.
  2. Go there.
  3. Talk to the politician. Let him/her know you wont vote for his/her party if they don’t vote against the copyright reform.

It is still benefital to call your MEPs too.

The time table now looks like this:

• February 18: The Legal Affairs Committee will vote to approve it, which is to be expected
  • Between March 25 and 28, on April 4 or between April 15 and 18: Final vote in the whole parliament

The final vote will not only be “yes” or “no”, but also “change!”. I am not sure how explicit that “change” can be but the result could be in killing off article 11 and 13. The call for change would delay it past the EU elections though. Which… can be good. But I kinda seek a final answer.
Also, that can be related: the Brexit date is set to March 29. If we expect that date is still on the table, the final vote may happen without the UK. At the last major vote 36 MEPs from UK voted for the reform and 31 against it. Soo… yeah, you know what I mean.

Here is a detailed summary with what I said and some more:

https://juliareda.eu/2019/02/eu-copyright-final-text/

Also, another Europe-wide day of action is set for demonstrations:

March 23

PLEASE add that into your calendar and stick to this thread to stay informed which locations are giving an opportunity to demonstrate for this issue.

4 Likes

I see the interest is not great here, but as promised a list of demonstrations:

https://savetheinternet.info/demos

(If the website is displayed in a wrong language, there is a setting at the top right)

Not many are listed yet, only Poland, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium. But I am confident the map will grow, so keep on checking it the next week.

In Germany shit hit the fan. Many big YouTube/Twitch accounts, mostly Let’s Players, picked up the topic and called for action. Tomorrow I am at a demonstration in Cologne and I expect it to be around 1k people. Next week at the main date it should be even more. I am quite hyped as this feels like how it went during the ACTA protests. But the weather will be better. :slight_smile:

Oh there is also a Discord server running. It is mostly used by Germans but has english speaking channels. https://discord.gg/x83MxcK

6 Likes