Fight the EU copyright reform!

Found a map with more markers where demonstrations happen. Check it out and see if you happen to be close to one at that day:

Why does Switzerland have protests? They aren’t even in the EU

As far as I heard it they plan to have a national law with comparable uploadfilters. I don’t know in which stage that bill is though.

It is confirmed the final discussion will happen on the 26th this month and will be followed by the vote on that same day.

There is alot of lobbyism going on and I lost scope what to report here and what is more relefvant in Germany only. What I can share is this statement from David Kaye, Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression of the UN, who is very concerned how the reform will have impact on the freedom of expression.

https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=24298&LangID=E

Meanwhile, Axel Voss, the rapporteur of the reform, finally admitted that filters are implied by the text and said more or less direct that YouTube should not exist anymore. Because it’s business model is about giving access to copyright protected works. (read: not explicitly illegal acces! This guy…) You can read alot of recent statements of this guy in this article here:

Lol, maps is in Dutch for me so ignore the post
/facepalm

Good you speak about it, the map got many updates regarding the protests in exactly one week! I hope everyone who is near one is joining.

Yesterday there were protests to improve the teachers’ environment in the NL, so I was free :smiley:

I hope some here were on the streets. It was a blast!

In Germany 160k people demonstrated the reform. I hope other countries like Poland also brought many on the streets.

Just to visualize the two sides of this debate:
Left, those who are against this reform, on the streets, with selfmade signs.
Right, supporters with champaign at some Paris event with champaign. And the signs were given.

https://twitter.com/communia_eu/status/1109480569669410818

I hope this day was a big warning for those MEPs who consider to support the reform at this point.

In roughly 15 hours the EU parliament will do the final vote.

There are rumors that Merkel has overridden the vote of the German minister of justice earlier (which was capable to stop the reform) because of a deal with France:

• France wants a very restrictive copyright.
  • Germany wants Nord Stream 2, a gas pipe line from Russia.
  • Germany, 21.01.19: “We wil fight for an exception for smaller companies in the copyrightreform!”
  • France apparently does not support that exception anymore.
  • Germany 22.01.19: “Nevermind, we kepp it all like it is now.”
  • France, 30.01.19: “We don’t want Nord Stream 2.”
  • 08.02.19: Germany and France found comprimise for Nord Stream 2
  • mid February: Merkel stopps German minister of justice to vote against Article13

Summary: Merkel might have sold the Internet for Russian gas.

source: https://edition.faz.net/faz-edition/wirtschaft/2019-03-26/f30a5870c08cc1e1b4524c1be19d1faf/?GEPC=s3

Meanwhile, the president of the ALDE group, the group of liberal parties in the EU, blocked the discussion regarding the copyright reform today. The president, Guy Verhofstadt, decided that the groups official voting recommendation will be in favor of the reform.
That is very sad and very concerning, however there is no obligation to vote in accordance with party policies, so liberal MEPs can vote however they want. I know at least the German and Austrian ones will vote against it.

EDIT: Just in, two Swedish social democrats claimed to vote in favor of the reform, despite saying otherwise in the past. Claus Strandberg, is that you?

Prepare to download some region spoofers I guess. …

The only thing I learned for sure is that @Urben is a guy who fights to the end. :fist:

To the very end and beyond that! :fist:

If that one passes, I spend my energy to teach people how to use VPNs or TOR. Who knows, maybe some good hidden services appear there the next year? It is not like there aren’t enough reasons to go dark anyway.

It is just way slower as the usual net, which will be a bottle neck. :thinking: