First Impressions and Small Details

Unfortunately a lot of casual players ended up swapping camera to left shoulder without noticing it … which means it’s harder for us to frame important NPCs, routes, items, landmarks etc. when we design the level layouts. I’m not 100% sure, but think that is why it was changed to only work in combat.

18 Likes

Interesting insight, I’ve always thought that the view over the left shoulder feels somehow off :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Wait, locking the over shoulder camera was an intentional choice? :grimacing: Gotta say I don’t love that, feels really unnatural when playing. Why not just make it being locked optional, but have it locked by default? (so casual players get everything framed like IO wants but people how like shoulder switching can)

Quick poll :wink:

I prefer…
  • having the camera locked to one side
  • being able to switch sides

0 voters

6 Likes

i prefer having the camera on the right side anyways and tbh i already got used to it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But options are always good to have

3 Likes

I’m glad that you mentioned the rating system, because I forgot about it when making my post. It is one of my favourite features to be added in the game. You are also absolutely right about the default loadout thing.

Yeah, I can see why certain locations or areas should be framed in such a way that it draws the eye to certain things, but… the camera shoulder-swap didn’t seem like it moved your line of sight that far off from the center of the screen, so I don’t see why players accidentally swapping shoulders would cause too big of a framing issue.

As it is now though, it’s not ideal to be stuck in one field of view, since any right-hand turns in a corridor are going to require you to take cover on a wall like a crazy person if you want to see around it for any enforcers ahead.
Heck, if we’re talking about framing, let’s say you have to follow an NPC and they go on the left side of a staircase. (Ingram’s assistant in Dubai does this.) If you want to walk alongside them and have them in view, it’s not possible since you can’t swap the view to the left.

edit: Huh. You can’t swap shoulders when trying to throw something (like a coin around a corner), so at the very least that should be patched back in!

3 Likes

i think the best solution would be for the shoulder swap be locked by default, but let us unlock it in the settings :smiley:

11 Likes

OMG please I was thinking of making a thread for this. I prefer having a “default” saved loadout (coin and lockpick for every level) then tailoring it for whatever challenge or ET mission I’m going on.

4 Likes

47 is the world’s ultimate assassin and is remarkable at everything possible except for looking to the left.

2 Likes

yeah, imagine chongquing on mumbai’s scale.

1 Like

There seems to be an echo in here :wink:

3 Likes

Man, I appreciate your feedback, but switching the shoulder camera is not only important when you are crouched and aiming around a corner. It was used a lot in speedruns and contracts, it gives a lot more freedom of movement.

Please please revert this change. Do you think if that casual crowd switches the cam without even noticing a difference, they will notice if targets are properly framed in the middle of the screen?

The switch of camera also currently resets as soon as you stop aiming

7 Likes

The fact that most of the content from 2 is here, and there’s progress carryover, suggests to me that I was wrong about suspecting Hitman 1 not doing it was purely an IO move. Square must’ve not wanted it. This might also be why Hitman 3 changes even less than 2, they wanted to not break any legacy content and I am a little disappointed but also relieved because it’s great to have an excuse and also the ability to just jump in and experience all the Hitman 2 escalations I loved.

One thing that bugs me though is that the escalation challenges not only sorted aren’t in order of 1-11, but instead in. random order. But also that the challenge uses numbers instead of Roman numerals for example. So it’s looks like Escalations Track 1.1/11, instead of Track I, 1/11. Which’’d look better I.M.O.

2 Likes

IOI bought the rights to Hitman from Square Enix in their buyout, but it didn’t come for free.

Square Enix owned the rights to Hitman as their owner, and IOI paid Square Enix to buy the rights of Hitman from Square Enix.

Square Enix probably still makes money off sales of Hitman content, and IOI probably still has debt to pay every month to Square Enix, even though IOI are now independent.

So it isn’t as if Square Enix didn’t want the Hitman IP – They sold it to IOI for a price.

Is it me or is it harder to get mastery 20 in H3?

8 Likes

Yeah either they have altered the point values or it is due to the reduction in the number of challenges (or both).

it’s legal, took IO long enough

The votes talk for themselves.

5 Likes

I think some of it is reduction of challenges. In H2 you’d get for example sniper assassin for casual, professional and master at the same time just for completing it once on that higher difficulty.

Then think of how many you’d get for sosa

1 Like

Also having your gun drawn is just generally not a good time to be fumbling with the camera, it really helps if you can set everything up beforehand.

3 Likes