First Timer Watches “Classic” Horror for Spooky Season

Sleepy Hollow (1999)
The Others (2001)
The Woman In Black (2012)
Maniac (2012)
Morse (2008)

Scream (1996)

Before I get to the movie itself, I just wanted to shoutout the nineties for vomiting all over the essence of this movie. Like, seriously, I hadn’t been beaten over the head by anything so obnoxiously nineties since I grew up in them.

Anyway, slight nineties slander aside, I really enjoyed this. I’m glad I watched the handful of other movies because this was very meta. I knew going in that it was kind of a spoof of horror movies more than a pure horror movie in its own right but I had no idea just how much it leaned into and played with all the tropes of the genre.

On top of all that, though, it creates a compelling narrative of its own. For a few reasons, I actually knew who the killer was but the mystery was so well plotted (with a little stretching in regards to Sidney’s dad a minor exception) that there were several moments that had me second guessing who was doing it. It could also be down to performances as well; Skeet Ulrich was masterful at being sus af or beyond reproach at need.

Speaking of great performances, I can see why they built the franchise around Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox and David Arquette. Based on this film, Sidney Prescott’s life must absolutely suck but I’m excited to see what’s next. I also know there isn’t one single killer throughout the series but it don’t know who the other ones are this time; the only thing I want to see is how they justify continuing to make Sidney’s life miserable in the sequel (and beyond).

This one was right up there with A Nightmare on Elm Street (a little below it) for me. I think it says something that my two favorite movies so far in this endeavor involved Wes Craven. It’s also more than a little unfortunate that it also involved a certain disgraced producer AND the actress who precipitated his downfall (as well as her own).

5 Likes

Enemis blu
Im not going to said much about tbe film But is better than a lot of hollywood horror films is free on youtube is a tf2 horror film but has ko jumpscares is smart terror is pure phsilogic horror a fucking masterpiexe of movie is free on youtube and you should watch it before ypu die is free on youtube well is not cñasdic but im bet that is gokng to pasd as clAsskc

(2023)

I don’t think this is a “classic” quite yet :thinking:

it is going to be a classic