Freelancer - Closed Technical Test

This thread is open again since I think strict focus on CTT feedback is no longer needed.

Another thing I don’t understand why it’s part of the mode,. Why do I get rewarded with a free weapon? Then what’s the point in trying to find them and/or gain money and purchase them?

I think these free items are kinda dumb. It waters down the mode. For example im trying to save up for a weapon so I stop myself from buying others but then I get rewarded with that very weapon for free. Instead of free gear, maybe award only free safehouse items.

Seems like every step forward is two steps backwards. Sigh.

-before they say “well then don’t take the free weapon, problem solved”. SMH.

1 Like

The only times you really get rewarded weapons you would otherwise buy (as opposed to tools, although if you meant that instead, disregard this) is after finishing a showdown. Those are not as common as the other levels and happen only 4 times per campaign. I did not find even a single instance of getting rewarded a weapon I had actively been trying to save Merces for.

The tools are a little different in that you get rewarded with one after every map, but many are single-use only so you’ll constantly be going through them, and they don’t cost much to begin with (most of the anyway) so the chances of you needing to save up for them are lower.

It doesn’t water down anything, in my experience. It’s a necessary element that makes the game playable, especially in the early stages when you can’t achieve many objectives due to not having the required weapons in the first place.

8 Likes

Outside of the fact that getting rewards feels good. The rewarded weapon is random.

It will be a question of luck, but I think it could create some personal narrative. Which is part of a rogue like, and I think could be fun to have.
Like if you watch bigmooney videos on freelancer, his first reward was a silenced rifle. So he took the weapon trafficking syndicate afterward. Where he was able to do the “eliminate guards with rifles” quickly.
I also saw someone get the icepick for a first reward. As a consequence they went directly to the “icepick elimination” prestige objective.

There will also be a form of “ah, I remember this one, what a run it was”. And of “uh, why not, I would have bought this weapon, but just to complete the wall collection, but since I received it at the start, why not use it”.

It will certainly be more useful for the first ten hours of the mode. It will flavour them.
Because without it, let us be honest, we would just wait to pay for a silenced pistol, a silenced sniper, and skip all the intermediary items.

6 Likes

You’re talking about a very hypothetical and rare situation. Sure, it could happen, but not 90% of the time you choose to save up Merces. There’s just so many Tools and Weapons in Freelancer it’s unlikely.
Also, it’s not a bad thing! Sure, you saved up money “for nothing”, but now you can use that money on a different weapon, or maybe even multiple smaller weapons if you have the funds for it.

I’m not totally understanding your issue here, I guess. But it’s necessary to help you get some edge on your contracts, to build up a collection, and offer some easier way to acquire items if you happen to die/lose money.

4 Likes

I think it’s weird you get a reward crate for dying/failing tho

1 Like

Not that weird, with the absence of it you can proof you never died yet and are truly a professional.

6 Likes

Hopefully I’m good enough that I’ll never get one.

2 Likes

It’s better than them being lootcrates you could buy that increased in price (which is actually what they were originally).

1 Like

What did/do you base your syndicate choices on?

[/poll]

• Syndicate Backstory
  • Possible Objectives
  • Locations involved
  • Eenie Meenie Miney Mo

0 voters

3 Likes

Can we do this with the main game? If not, I doubt it. I say just create a new user name. Will give you the same result. No?

1 Like

Firstly locations i know well to get me used to the game mode, but afterwards, Purley objective based, i may sometimes want to be super immersed and do backstory also

It will be the opposite for me. I’ll want to learn the objectives and complete as many as I can, get as much money as I can, and buy all the weapons and gear that I can so that I’m ready for future objectives, whatever they may be (hopefully without conflicting). After that, even if I decide to replay a contract or campaign again later (assuming it lets you do that), I’ll be trying to play it as a story, and so syndicate backstory would be the motivation for what choices are made when. For example, if imagining that we’re just beginning Freelancer missions for the first time, now that we’re all built up and ready to go, 47 might decide to select Assassination syndicates first, to eliminate the competition and so they don’t try to go for the contracts on the other syndicates. Or, if it’s still a crime type that’s available from the original announcement (I didn’t see it in any of the CTT videos), he may choose to go after Human Experimentation syndicates first because of how they hit close to home for him.

2 Likes

Good choices, i love :heart: how some simple three opinions and there is countless way to replay it!
Interesting to see everyone’s opinions on this

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any way to “replay” a contract, per se. You can select the same syndicate type again (i.e., Sick Games, Assassination, etc.) but the individual locations, objectives, targets, etc. are procedural/randomized so you’ll never really be playing the same map with the same target and the same objectives twice. Every one of them is a one shot and you’re done type of thing.

1 Like

We know that. We just mean being able to replay that syndicate again by name and crime-type. The targets and objectives might not be the same again, but we can still try to recreate the first version of the campaign as best we can, with the same syndicates at the same (or mostly the same) maps if it allows, and in the same order. Maybe not a “replay,” but a “recreation,” is the language to be used in such a case. In any event, say the first time through, say we play the Extractor, the Eliminator, the Tracker and the Fertilizer. And then, after gaining access to more suits, weapons and tools, you want to take on those same ones again, irrespective of what they will shuffle. Close enough to feel like you’re coming at them properly this time.

Technically it would be possible to replay the exact same syndicate with the same targets, locations, objectives etc. by simply seeding the generated campaign and letting players see and share seeds. A lot of roguelikey games do that for daily challenges and the like. It would actually be a pretty nice feature to be able to share interesting campaigns with other players.

3 Likes

That could be the only way to make the mode multi-player, or competitive, for those that would like that.

4 Likes

What the hell does “seeding” mean, in this context?

Presumably, the objectives, targets, complications, etc. for each mission in the mode are based on some generated random number. If you can determine what that number is, and manually enter is as the “seed” for the mission generator, you can effectively reproduce the exact parameters of that mission for someone else to play (or yourself to replay).

1 Like