Freelancer - From CTT to Launch (balances, and changes)

Omg all of this is so good. I can put my fears at ease and I honestly wish we’d have heard of some of these sooner!

changed the Merces amounts to seem more valuable by adding two zeroes to all values (Example 5M is now 500M).

Cool! I wasn’t expecting they’d do that, but it really helps make it seem like… uh money lol instead of I guess Crypto, is what I think the vibe was…

Prestige Objectives and the specific rules for completing them. This information is quite hidden, so we have dedicated a wall setpiece to show that
[/quote]

Wooooo that’s a great QOL addition

we have made new versions of these tools that are known as ‘Collectors Editions’

That’s interesting and a nice way to go about having some permanent Roguelike progression!

We have added a ‘base payout’

HALLELUJAH!

To improve this, we introduced a grace-period so that a suspicious lookout can be dealt with before the suspect network is alerted to escape.

Yes! Yes! Yes!!

We also added a Merces punishment for eliminating a suspect that isn’t the target to disincentivize the strategy

Damn! That’ll make things pretty hard of a decision.

We added a small Merces punishment for killing innocent civilian NPCs

Also damn, but I get the reasoning. I often went into a rampage when I was in deep trouble, since it usually offered very little penalty overall.

7 Likes

I like how you highlight YOUR suggestions which many users said that same, many time much before :yum: Anyway I’m glad that IOI heard all that complains and most of them will be addreses. It’s great news.

2 Likes

Okay, personal opinions:

Merces Economy: Honestly, I kind of liked the low numbers. It made the currency feel more “under the table” IMO, but I understand the opposite side and it won’t kill me. Maybe I’ll just pretend. :stuck_out_tongue:

Prestige objective communication & QoL: Good change. I’m assuming the list will go on the screen above the Prestige Objectives. I honestly can’t remember what was on that wall in the first place (was it blank? A copy of the opposite screen maybe?) I also like the ability to reselect objectives. Since you could choose your loadout/mission/whatever before choosing one, there’s not much need to lock in your choice.

Persistent tool variations: Fantastic “best of both worlds” option. I’m very much a fan of the added difficulty from losing tools, given how powerful they are, but I definitely see how not everyone would be. My only concern is if these would both replace the non-permanent briefcase tools while also looking cool, which would make me want to have them for looks but also not want them for gameplay. I doubt they’re making new assets this close to launch though.

Completing Campaigns: This is actually one of the things I personally gave feedback on! :smile: I like these changes a lot.

Underground Lookouts: I like the animation & delay idea a lot. Getting caught by enforcers is one of the easiest mistakes to make, so it wasn’t very fun that if there was nothing you could do about it if it happened.

Suspect exploit: I’m assuming this means it’s no longer possible to hide the bodies of any suspects. That might be slightly annoying if I’m knocking out someone who I know isn’t the target, (for their phone, probably) but I guess that just means I’ll have to knock them out somewhere I know nobody goes, or just kill them and take the penalty. Since they’ve added more ways to get income, killing one non-target suspect in a probably won’t be too big a hit.

Gear properties: I suspect that one of these changes will be the garage wrench being made a bit heavier or the buyable wrench being made lighter so they don’t match, as well as the Sieker being made heavier. I’ll be interested to see if they agreed with my lockpick/crowbar reasoning and switched/adjusted their weights as well.

Challenge balancing: I like the idea of long-term challenges, but those were pretty extreme for basically repeating the same task again and again. That might not be so much a long-term challenge as it is a grind.

Alt-F4: I didn’t expect them to be able to do anything about this without punishing genuine crashes. Honestly, you really have to be trying to do this, so I’m fine with it if people really want to be dirty cheaters. :stuck_out_tongue:

Everything else, my opinion is basically just “This is great!” with nothing much to add. No bug fixes mentioned, but I really hope they’ve fixed the bug where you can’t drop the rusty nail without exiting back to the main menu. That was pretty annoying.

I think they mean it literally when they say “adding zeroes”. As in, a cosmetic/visual change only, not actually adjusting payouts. Basically the same number of Mercers gameplay-wise, but calling it more. Edit: This post originally quoted the bit I’m referring to, but it’s been edited now. It’s possible that was quoting the wrong bit and was supposed to refer to the other income sources, in which case, fair point.

Couriers also feel like they shouldn’t be considered “innocent civilians”. They’re helping the syndicate, and while I don’t think there should necessarily be incentive for killing them, I don’t feel a penalty is appropriate.

1 Like

Well, they said that the killing of civilians would extract a penalty from the pay amount. For objectives that have you kill some guards, for example, there is a pay amount for completing that. So maybe they’re thinking, even though you get penalized for killing a non-target, you make up for it in those cases for the amount you get for completing that objective? Probably not what they meant, but it could be.

I don’t recall Mercer deduction for killing civilians being an idea or suggestion until I mentioned it on the original CTT thread (I even compared it to Payday 2’s Cleaner Costs, which prompted the idea). I could of course be wrong, but I’m not saying all the talking points were from me; in fact I highlighted one that wasn’t from me (I never suggested a grace period when you get outed in showdowns, someone else on this forum did). The point of the post was to show how much mine and others’ feedback influenced them, and I actively credit people accordingly. Not everything was my idea, and I certainly don’t want to come off of as that.

I’ve edited the original post now mostly so it isn’t as long, and also to remove the narcissism implications.

2 Likes

Are you trying to suggest that Hakan didn’t personally watch Dribbleondo’s video, make copious notes based on the feedback, before of course Liking and Subscribing?! :astonished:

13 Likes

In the odd position of defending @Dribbleondo, but he did say he and others, and he was careful to phrase it that way. He wasn’t implying that he was the sole point around which the decision was made.

6 Likes

All fantastic changes. I’m also glad they didn’t listed to the people that wanted to make this a completely different mode where SA rating would rule over everything.

4 Likes

Really, the only thing I wish they’d change now is for the objectives to be selectable, like in Contracts mode, or like the Prestige objectives. They aren’t there automatically; you select them, anywhere from none to three, any of your choice based on the contract category. That way we could play the missions however we wanted without it showing us failed objectives if we decided to do our own thing. And those who want to increase the challenge for themselves, as well as the pay can select an objective to complete when they feel like it. This would make the mode perfect in my opinion, but it’s likely a pipe dream.

I never thought of them that way, I guess it makes sense. To me they were just random criminals getting mugged by 47 for their fat wallet :x

Is that a Jojo reference? On a Hitman forum? :smiley:

Right, but the specific indication of civillians does make it a little unclear. I’m fine with either one, just curious as to whether or not guards will end up counting as civilians or if they would be their own separate category, not targets but also not “innocents”

2 Likes

Suspect exploit
The Closed Technical Test helped uncover some exploits around suspects in Showdown missions. Now it is no longer possible to use body containers to verify if a suspect is the target.

This is the only potentially bad change imo (I say potentially because we don’t know exactly how it’ll work). I would imagine that the game will now no longer let you hide the bodies of suspects in crates/cupboards as the alternative would allow you to hide the body of the target and not being able to kill them, creating a soft lock.

1 Like

I am happy with this post. Bring on Jan 26.

I am suspecting 1,000 members and 100 leaders, keeping the ratio intact.

5 Likes

A third alternative is letting you hide suspect’s bodies, and then failing the mission if you hide the target’s body.

1 Like

I’m pleasantly suprised with this blog post, I was expecting maybe the addition of base payouts, and some tweaks on gear prices and inventory slots, but they went out of their way to address nearly everyone’s complaints about the mode, this has honestly blew my hype through the roof!

10 Likes

What do you think is an appropriate punishment for killing civilians?

• Go to 0 Merces :smirk:
  • Get into Negative Merces :smiling_imp:
0 voters
3 Likes

What is the client just gonna reach into your wallet and nick a fiver off you?

From a logical standpoint, leave it at 0.

9 Likes

I don’t totally see them changing how the objectives work, and I think the added Base Payout will mitigate sone of the frustration of not earning enough/any Merces that conflicting objectives brings.
However*, there are a lot more straight-up additions to the mode I didn’t expect and IOI never promised would come of the CTT (they only mentioned needing feedback for the economy and pricing of Merces), so if they’ve put work into that, maybe we can get lucky and they can put some time into making objectives work with each other …

Split this topic 2 hours ago

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ambrose Island - Pre-release Discussion

Why the heck was something moved to the pre-release discussion of Ambrose?? :laughing: thats strange

4 Likes

Getting into negative Merces… That’s assuming someone uses that abusive playstyle to rush to the showdown. Not a penalty for accidentally misfiring or collateral damage. But to get to 0… you’d have to be either very bad… or very mad. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It is really cool they did so many QOL changes while initially saying the CTT was just about stress testing the systems and maybe doing a bit of ballancing.

Well done! :clap:

That is what you get if the same moderator is asked to move several one-line posts back to some other thread instead of having mercy with me and just reposting them. :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes