Freelancer - General Discussion

Maybe I meant “currently”? Nah, I went back and fixed it. Thanks!

Also, I know Mercer is a pretty small place but there must be someone there who like Agent 47!

FYI, it looks like this today:

2 Likes

Also it’s a merchant selling cloth and various sewing stuff. But maybe they can sell you weapons under the counter if you bring the right currency.

Although I also find it really weird that so many people make that typo in the name of that Freelancer currency.

Mercer Frey is also the leader of the Thieves Guild in Skyrim.

2 Likes

Pfft… like anyone has played that game… :wink:

4 Likes

Anyone else realize that you can start a mission in Berlin at the entrance, just like in the main game, only instead of being in the default starting outfit for that starting point, you’re in whatever suit you selected at the safehouse? That means that allowing players to start that spot in whatever outfit we want is possible, and I hope this carries over to ETs, as I’m tired of being stuck with those three stupid default loading outfits when going after the Liability. Take notes from your own mode IOI and free up that starting location!

3 Likes

Today’s annoying Freelancer fact:

The lethal poison you get by giving the student (or whatever he’s supposed to be) an emetic flower on Ambrose Island doesn’t count as a crafted poison.

4 Likes

I wonder if IOI would ever consider eventually renaming this to ‘Silent Assassin’ in a future update perhaps? I know a fair people have talked about wanting a Silent Assassin ranking in Freelancer mode, so it’s just a thought?

Yeah I only noticed this the other day as well :grin:

Anyone have any idea what the deal is with the targets leading up to the Leaders in Freelancer? I don’t quite understand exactly what’s going on with that.

Take an assassination syndicate for example: is every target actually an assassin? Or are they just affiliated with them? Like how ICA had analysts and people in the field who gathered intel. Are we killing remote working “white collar” members of the syndicate or fellow killers? If the latter, why the explicit assassins guarding the Leader? If the former, have they actually done anything wrong to warrant death in accordance with 47’s and Diana’s new moral guidelines? Does that mean they’re not as adverse to killing civilians as we’ve been lead to believe in the last couple of games? For that matter, is the Leader actually an assassin themselves, or just a figurehead who is putting them in touch with clients like a talent agent, similar to Diana or what Joanne Bayswater was trying to do? Or are they both? How does this same logic apply to other syndicates like espionage or big Pharma?

Are the syndicate members explicit targets named by the clients and that’s how Diana knows who to tell 47 to kill, or are they just putting up the contract and giving a general idea where the syndicate has had activity and Diana is using that to pinpoint lower level members and 47 has to work his way up on his own? Are the clients paying for the destruction of the entire syndicate, or are they only putting the contract on the Leader’s head, expecting the syndicate to crumble as a matter of course, and since taking out members of the syndicate is necessary to find the Leader, Diana is dispersing part of the reward money to 47 after the smaller missions and then the rest after the actual target of the contract is killed? She’s likely getting these contracts as open bounties put out anonymously on the dark web, so does that mean others may be finding them? Could competing assassins be added to Freelancer someday?

Sorry, but these questions just come to me when I try to form Freelancer into an interpretable story in my head.

I’ve complained about this forever. Even make a start spot right at the gate entrance. I don’t care. I just dislike that I have to choose my suit I want and start 5 miles away and need to call a taxi to get to the building. :roll_eyes:

I don’t really think that the type of syndicate refers to the targets at all. They just point to the methods that 47 has to use to take them all out.

The Big Pharma syndicate isn’t actually trafficking drugs but 47 has to use poisons in his attempts to take them down.
The Assassination syndicate isn’t populated with actual assassins (except the ones that follow the targets around) but 47 has to kill them as an assassin would.

I don’t think it’s meant to be poetic that 47’s objectives coincide with the syndicate’s goals - it’s just the way that 47 has to operate that is indicated.

You won’t like this at all, but I like to think it’s Diana’s sick sense of humor at play more than anything.

But the M.O. descriptions for the syndicates explicitly say that they are doing those things, hence why someone is paying to stop them. Those dossiers show what the chosen syndicate is guilty of. So, back to my questions of just how involved the individual targets are.

Oh, I know. I just choose to ignore that. There is no reason for 47 to kill them in a “poetic” way just because they do certain stuff. I can’t wrap my head around the objectives otherwise.

I take that to mean the clients are asking for that if it’s possible to be done.

I never liked jumping through hoops just because the client said so. The client wants the target killed. They shouldn’t care how it’s done, what I’m wearing, or whether the target slips on a banana peel first.

1 Like

Finally reached mastery level 50 and for the first time ever, I see this thing.

Never knew this was in freelancer.

4 Likes

I think the idea is that these aren’t the same serious, wealthy clients 47 normally gets who want him to kill serious, wealthy targets, but rather incensed internet randos who took a cue from the ICA leak, the outing of Providence, and the deaths of corporate big wigs by the militia, put two and two together, and decided to be vigilante bankrollers putting up hidden bounties for anyone to collect on the various criminals trying to fill the vacuum, and think they’re being funny or cool with the optional objectives, maybe even just to see if someone will do it.

Some of the data leaks that came out prior to the reveal of what Freelancer was included a mention of deliberately leaving bodies around as a message for the rest of the syndicate, but while that doesn’t seem to have been included as an optional objective, I think we can also interpret some of those objectives to be that as well; letting the rest of them know that that’s how good the guy who’s after you is. He’ll make a fool out of you before he kills you.

And while that might be ridiculous to us, we all know that with 47, the contract is his only priority when he’s on the job, and there’s no level of ridiculousness he’s not willing to stoop to in order to get the job done how the client specifies. The clients might be joking around, but 47 takes every aspect seriously and signs that agreement with his target’s blood, essentially. He’s putting his life and freedom on the line, he doesn’t have time for determining if his weirdo clients are serious or not; they say make a target slip and then plug three guards with a shotgun, that’s the result they’re gonna get. He’s kind of like the genie who takes the wording of your wish super seriously, and grants it so that the results are more exact than you expected.

1 Like

To me they’re just “people affiliated with the syndicate”. Like an assassination syndicate must have people who do the actual killing, but also people who research the target or provide the means to do it. 47’s basically working his way up to the leader by following leads from their underlings and eliminating loose ends, just like how Grey worked his way up Providence by eliminating key targets.

2 Likes

I figured that was the most likely, but it goes a bit against the new standards 47 and Diana imply they’re working under. I guess they figure these people know what they’re doing and are thereby guilty of willful association or something.

If you say so, but there is a reason that objectives are optional. To me, at least. There are some that I (and hence “my 47”) flatly refuse to consider no matter how much “the client” wants them.

Your 47 doesn’t even wear a suit and tie. I think we can safely say we both have vastly different hitmen at our disposals, with different styles and priorities. :wink:

2 Likes