Freelancer: Hardcore mode is unplayably difficult in the wrong places

Assassin in Hardcore are scary… Even alt+f4 can’t help. 47 just can die out of nowhere during combat.

1 Like

So if there’s a power or internet disruption you lose everything?

Personally, I feel like the real problem of Hardcore mode, beyond making Prestige objectives mandatory, is the ridiculous amount of enforcers.

I played a lot of Master mode during the campaign, and I always thought it was pretty well balanced. But in Hardcore mode they really pushed all the buttons to the max, especially in Showdowns. There are lookouts in every room, targets are enforcers, new guards added to the maps too… and you find yourself having to constantly run around npcs, looking everywhere like a maniac, to avoid being spotted. And if you are spotted you’re basically done. Even analyzing the Suspects is a chore.

I had exactly the same feeling on Absolution in Purist mode, I think it’s artificial difficulty without much interest. Of course you’re going to get spotted at some point, but there’s no room for progression, it’s all based on the luck of not running into the wrong enforcer at the corner of a corridor, and I really don’t find it very fun.

Yet I appreciate the difficulty in games, but it has to directly impact the core mechanics. Like in Master mode, with the footsteps, the damaged disguises or the single save. Not just adding enemies everywhere to prevent the player from moving.
So for now I’ll stay in Normal mode. :smiling_face_with_tear:

By the way Freelancer is so cool !

4 Likes

As long as 47 didn’t die or exit the mission, the power & internet connection problems can’t make you lose anything. You can always restart from safehouse.

I’m surprised insta-fail wasn’t used in Hardcore Mode to prevent people from using Alt-F4.

1 Like

I nearly started Hardcore mode today but I backed out at last minute :joy::joy:

1 Like

My very first mission in my latest Hardcore campaign attempt was a successful failure. Not even going to try again.

What map were you playing?

They should patch the game to make it mandatory that once you start Hardcore mode you can’t leave it to play a normal difficulty Freelancer campaign or even play any other game modes in the WoA until you’ve completed the entire Hardcore campaign.

(Just checking, that is how we do a Patrick_McColloch post, right? I’ve never had to type one out before and I want to make sure I’m hitting all the key points.)

9 Likes

Poetic justice - maybe the bug fix should never apply to me

2 Likes

WOW! Imagine if that ever actually became a thing!! :open_mouth::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Might as well take a chance on Hardcore cause we’re about to lose everything anyways when that patch comes in.

I think I’m actually never going to complete hardcore freelancer just because of those damn mandatory prestige objectives I just want my suit man i have had more fun grinding Siberia than doing this

3 Likes