Freelancer - Pre-Release Discussion

You goddamn right. 100% man. :joy:

And everything you described is exactly how I imagined this mode working.

2 Likes

Regarding the “rival assassins” that it is said you may encounter, specifically in the last mission where you’re going after the Leader, do you think you’re trying to beat them to the Leader, or have they been hired to take you out before you can get to them? Think taking out these “rival assassins” will hurt your final score, or add to it, making them additional targets that are optional?

If so, that’s gonna irk all the people who didn’t like that aspect with the 7DS mission Envy. :joy:

1 Like

Which one? Beating them to the target or protecting ourselves?

I think it was the timed element, for players that don’t like to be rushed.

2 Likes

Well, we know these rival assassins are gonna be there either way, so we’re looking at a time issue unless you have to trigger them, in which case we can take our time up until the moment of trigger. My question regarding this is which scenario would most players prefer: coming for you, or racing against you?

1 Like

tbh I’d prefer they scrapped the rival assassin idea unless it’s had a massive overhaul since Envy where the execution was terrible and really made no difference to the outcome other than your overall mission score. ie the game couldn’t tell the difference between the player or the rival killing the target, so the player would be given the XP for the kill.

A thing I would find interesting is how this would affect social stealth. Can you blend into crowds and thereby not be spotted. Will the rival notice you more if you run instead of walk. Does your disguise affect the rivals knowledge and can he be distracted/taken out or knocked out!

5 Likes

All very good questions. I hadn’t even thought of those, I was mostly focused on the challenge of just killing them. Hadn’t considered the possibilities of avoidance.

Getting some serious “Mallory Misfortune” Stalker vibes from that. And I don’t remember anyone liking that Escalation mechanic. :joy:

2 Likes

oh god that one haunt me and i had nightmares to complete that escalation

1 Like

not sure if anyone’s brought this idea up yet but what if Diana’s sometimes in the safe house? (Not living there, only visiting) She could be doing work on a computer, practicing her aim on the shooting range, etc. Maybe there would be a handful of dialogues 47 and her could share.

Seems kind of unlikely the more I consider it…but it would be neat

11 Likes

I can already see where this is going…

20 Likes

You know Diana doesn’t have to be wearing anything to talk over an earpiece, right.

… wait, STOP!

9 Likes

I both love and hate that. HITMAN XXX is quite clever.

Gamers, let’s be behaved yes?

(Ooh, I’ve been a bad, bad gamer…)

4 Likes

Oh god, not again :see_no_evil:

But seriously, I don’t see a reason why she should be there. She operates from all over the world, we saw her in Johannesburg (?), Paris… I think that’s part of the game that she’s never together with 47, so if something goes wrong they don’t get captured together.

4 Likes

I see your reasoning and it makes sense, but it would be awesome if IO would give us another Mendoza moment somehow. This wasn’t even an attempt to talk about Diana/47 sexy times, I swear. Like I don’t want to tango with her again, just like have them interact again to see what they are like now. Because their relationship dynamic has to have changed, with them just being on their own with their own agency.

And this safe house could be another opportunity to showcase that. Maybe 47 could even read messages off a safe house laptop that were sent by her. That could even be a throwback to the older games.

6 Likes

Maybe have a heart to heart, for real this time, about his guilt in killing her parents, and how they will move forward from that. There’s a lot of potential material there.

I mean, out of respect for her, will 47 take greater care to avoid using car bombs going forward? It doesn’t seem that she ever told him the details of how, since Grey didn’t even know, so 47 didn’t know that she might have felt a twinge of pain whenever he used them before, but will he try to avoid it now?

4 Likes

What’s there to discuss? Diana said so herself, he didn’t have a choice. It wasn’t his fault he was ordered to kill them, it was Providence. That’s what Edwards slipped up on: assuming that Diana would take it personally and get revenge on 47, when in actuality she of all people know that he isn’t the client, these aren’t motivated killings by him, it was just another job. when 47 apologised with his last breaths before passing out, that showed all the uneasiness he had back then and the recuperation he had since taking the antidote. Plus, neither of them seem to be the type to talk about themselves and their emotions; they’re friends with a deep sense of understanding and respect for one another, and their mutual cooperation through these hard times shows that she holds no grudges against him, and she understands that as 47 slowly regained his true personality, his conscience would be wracked with guilt, but he learnt long ago that his ethical code forbids him from wasting his abilities, when there’s evil people out there who need to die. They don’t dwell on the past, they have far too much responsibility on their hands to think about what could have been.

1 Like

What Diana said in those moments was for show, 47 has no idea how much of it she meant or how much it really affected her. They should have a talk about it, even if just for Diana to confirm to his face that she forgives 47. Otherwise, he’ll never know for sure if she’s just using him as a tool still to weed out other corruption in the world, and will then dispose of him for real once she’s done for what he did. We know the truth, but 47 doesn’t, not for certain.

They had to have had some similar talk after Blood Money to convince him to work with her again after she seemingly sold him down the river. He had no way of knowing for sure that she was involved since he was unconscious and she was gone by the time he woke up. She had to have explained everything to him later and apologized to get back on his good side for the apparent betrayal. A similar reckoning will be needed for this, but maybe we could see it this time.

4 Likes