Freelancer - Pre-Release Discussion

I never felt overcharged for the Seven Deadly Sins stuff, frankly. I’d most likely pay for Freelancer if it came to it, but there has just been nothing so far that IOI has said which would lead me to believe they’re going to charge for it. If they had even once referred to it as “DLC” instead of just a new game mode, I’d suspect it was paid content, but they have consistently referred to as a game mode, not DLC. The language they’ve used for Freelancer has been the same as how they always referred to the Elusive Target Arcade and is most likely to cost the same - nothing.

6 Likes

I hope so. Unlike you, I did think that the 7DS (and H3 Deluxe Edition content) was very poor value per [insert own currency symbol here] both in comparison with H1/H2, and also just on its own merits in my personal opinion.

Ambrose Island being free has retrieved the lost ground in terms of my H3 goodwill and I’m now back to ‘break even’ on my feelings towards H3’s value proposition, so it would be great to see IOI head into ‘positive goodwill’ for me if Freelancer was indeed free.

12 Likes

That’s certainly fair. Everyone has their own threshold of what is a “good value” versus what isn’t. For me, the Seven Deadly Sins (and the deluxe stuff for that matter) was worth what I paid for it. I thought that the Wrath escalation was actually a let down (due to the way I play the game more than anything) but the Lust escalation made up for it. I enjoyed all 6 deluxe missions and played each of them several times.

It’s all opinion anyway.

3 Likes

Say my name.

Heisenberg.

You’re God damn right!

2 Likes

Took the words right out of my mouth.

It would be pretty damn “generous” of the company if it will simply be a free update in the end much like Ambrose.

It could very well change since it shifted so far back from its original release window – and I wouldn’t mind that, given it sounds like a pretty big replayable thing.

6 Likes

I wonder if they’ll be newspaper endings like in blood money, somewhat re-done for the internet age?

Not likely, though I’d welcome it.

2 Likes

I mean in the end, the question is to know what Freelancer is internally for IOI.

I suspect that it’s partially a training / prototyping vehicle. So that would be some return on investment. And the mode is build on an already present foundation.

Even after that, it would be foolish to not try and make it profitable after release. But making it paid content is far from the only way to do so. And I’m not just talking about hypothetical micro transaction (even if I wouldn’t be surprised).

There is a reason why on the video announcement of Year Two the first things said was that Hitman had 50 million players.
A sustained player base is invaluable currently. Directly for the studio, but also for investors (oh, the powerpoints I imagine they made). Hitman is on Game Pass. That’s a negotiated deal.

Also I suspect this is the reason the Elusive Target were not released as stand alone, but with regular batches and rewards. It’s the model of the game.

Then again, that is if Freelancer is not “just” a release and forget thing. But judging from the current roadmaps, I doubt it. There is a hole in them since the delay.

3 Likes

The thing is the “hole” that you describe might be getting filled as we speak for release of Freelancer so it could be a release and forget thing.

2 Likes

I meant that the ;ast months roadmap have been filled with ETs and featured contract batches. And I, granted personally, feel like another sort of content could have replaced some. And that it might have been the intention, once. Maybe freelancer.

Even if it’s just new rewards. I hope for new campaign types, but it’s high hope.

1 Like

I saw on FB and post from IO-Interactive about a 24-year anniversary. Perhaps Freelancer will be released for this occasion. :crossed_fingers:

Edit: I’m not going to post a topic for this. Anybody else is welcome to. Edit: I’ve felt compelled to make a new topic. :smiling_face:

Edit: I have no access to leaks, but I can’t help but think this will be on the opening before the title screen after we get the update! :smiley:

10 Likes

Wikipedia tells me that IOI was founded on 16 September 1998. They seem to be a bit late :wink:

5 Likes

24 years wow congrats ioi for the hard work over the years

2 Likes

I highly doubt they’d release freelancer – a month, mind you – after their 24th anniversary. It’s just a silly coincidence It’s happened so soon.

Anyway, it’s no a 25th Silver anniversary. That’s usually a solid number people love and where you’d expect big, timely things to come out or be celebrated. But of course they aren’t delaying it that long just for that.
It’ll be out within 3 months from now at the very latest

I do have to wonder why the graphic was made. They didn’t make a (thing) for their 23rd year, or 22nd, etc. And I agree 25th is more of a landmark event.

Either way, I guess we’ll see after we get this upcoming update. And yeah… that doesn’t mean we’ll be getting Freelancer with it just because it’s a “big update”.

you never know maybe freelancer or GOTY for hitman

The intern had free time maybe?

People read too much into this. :smiley:

8 Likes

Or just the marketing department in general, not even an intern.

They don’t have much to market/tweet right now. More gearing up for what’s to come.

5 Likes

Surely there’s got to be some sort of tie in to their anniversary :wink::wink:

1 Like

Eh, yeah… I just don’t see what the big deal is about a ‘24th Anniversary’ unless there is an actual “Big Deal” coming along with it. I mean, great! 24 years. Woohoo. :+1:

It’s like the lights have been lowered and you hear a drum roll, and you wonder what’s about to happen.

Or it just could be IO trying to whip up some hollow hype. But I guess I’m the type of person to think there’s a logical reason for things. If I’m looking into things too much, well, jokes on me I suppose. :face_exhaling:

Edit: So… I suppose there’s nothing to prove this has anything to do with Freelancer, so it’s probably getting off topic and is purely speculation. Then again, I’m not privy to any leaked data. Kinda regretting I posted the image, or that it’s got this much attention -if it is indeed off topic. :confused:

1 Like