Freelancer - Pre-Release Discussion

I think we will. Then only question is going to be: are the weapons we have available in the main game now going to be available immediately upon starting Freelancer for the first time, and only need to be repurchased (for use in Freelancer only) if we die or leave them behind, or will we have empty walls when we first start and have to buy each individual item we would otherwise have at least one time in Freelancer in order to have it for future use?

2 Likes

I feel like weā€™d start out with empty walls because that would be how we track what weā€™ve bought. Youā€™d be able to buy everything from the beginning, you just need to gain the money to do so. As for a starting loadout, ideally weā€™d have nothing, therefore weā€™d scavenge stuff from the tutorial mission to use on the target to introduce the idea of searching maps for vital equipment.

3 Likes

Maybe the whole main menu gets replaced with the safehouse. :drooling_face:

6 Likes

all we want to see agent smith in his safehouse

1 Like

That would certainly be interesting. It would lead to the question, however, of where we access all the other modes of play.

1 Like

Maybe each has its own interactable object.

1 Like

You know, I would actually welcome this. If you access whichever mode you want from that map hub, and then select your location based on whatā€™s on the map, no more shuffling through the tabs. Locations for campaign mode would go in order instead of whatā€™s in the locations tab. Picking out your weapons from the wall instead of shuffling through. Selecting your suit from the safehouse and just carrying it in through to where ever you go while wearing it unless you set some default status for each location, allowing you to avoid picking a suit every time you go to a location.

Maybe this is why it was delayed; maybe itā€™s not Freelancer itself, but the safehouse, being made into a literal hub for the entire WoA era, as IOI said they were working toward back with the release of H2ā€¦

:drooling_face:

1 Like

I know it wonā€™t happen, but I wouldnā€™t like it if we had a ā€œphysical spaceā€ become the menu.

With a game like Hitman I want to swap between modes easily and quickly, not run to different areas and memorize a map just so I can play Contracts Mode or any of the Main Missions

11 Likes

As for my current Freelancer prediction, I am going to guess the mode will have an over-arching ā€œMasteryā€ level system (mostly because this game is already tied pretty tightly to its established, prominent mechanics)

In the original blog post they mention

As you progress through Freelancer, more areas of the Safehouse can be unlocked and new customisation options will become available.

Iā€™m assuming there might be challenges related to each contract you can do ā€“ either related to the objectives or general assassination stuff, and the more you complete, the more areas of the house youā€™ll unlock.
Not sure how unlocking them might work (will 47 just have random impenetrable doors when starting out?) and Iā€™d hope thereā€™s some risk/reward system where you donā€™t get Mastery XP until you complete the mission youā€™re on, to further incentivise winning and going through the random campaigns.
(Currently you always get challenge XP the moment you acquire it, due to the always-onlinr nature. It makes it weird when you have a ā€œeliminated X Elusive Targetā€ challenge completed but you died in exfiltration, so the targets are marked as ā€œFailedā€.)

Thatā€™s another thing: the campaigns. If Iā€™m right about my Mastery/Challenges prediction, I wonder if IOI might have created a procedurally generated challenge system. Since each campaign is random and thereā€™s an infinite supply of them, it would be neat to see there being challenges for ā€œcompletingā€ a campaign, and the challenge gets replaced with a new one, for the next procedurally generated campaign.
That might be too much wishful thinking or something that could break the XP grinding system.

Either way, the main way of unlocking new rooms and customization options will probably be through Mastery levels. Hopefully itā€™s a lot and not just 20 easily obtainable levels.

That brings me to another question: How do you think weā€™ll be able to customize the Safehouse?
Will each room have a specific mood/aesthetic pre-set? Will we be able to freely place objects? Maybe itā€™s a mix of both and we can mix and match smaller pre-set props from different furniture themes.

Also I hope thereā€™s some sort of way we can change the Time of Day at the safehouse. Either manually or randomly occuring after a mission. Would be kind of weird to see 47 only arriving/leaving and spending time there while during the day.

3 Likes

Well in the initial year 2 announcement trailee in January, ioi shown thst you can have multiple things in each room but before they added stuff in their the rooms just look normal looking (nothing special) so as to empercise the themes of each player. Soooooooo

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m assuming that anything beyond mission-related equipment (if even that) will be barren in this house. But, are we able to start buying and decorating right away with some starting amount, or did 47 spend every last penny he had on this place and now heā€™s dead-ass broke and needs to work to pay for actually furnishing it?

1 Like

This could be possible. On Professional difficulty in Hitman 2016 you only got challenges completed if you finished the mission

1 Like

it wonā€™t be, it will only be used for freelancer, not for regular missions

3 Likes

Iā€™m hoping that if you do nothing long enough while at the safe house 47 will have 2 or 3 interesting things to do until you hit a button. Maybe go make a cup of coffee, go do some pull-ups, or maybe something crazy like Smith comes over and they play a game of chess.

7 Likes

How do you know?

2 Likes

Me opening Freelancer after not touching it for a week, to see 47 singing karaoke late at night

:flushed:

Make him into a tamagotchi, IO!

9 Likes

Worse: heā€™s doing doki doki pow pow.

6 Likes

NO. BETTER. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Neither

1 Like

It canā€™t be neither. Either we start off with money we can spend right away, or we donā€™t start off with money, so we canā€™t spend right away. There isnā€™t a third option unless we start with money and still canā€™t spend right away, which makes no sense.

1 Like