Hitmanforum is an online place where fans discuss Hitman.
The developers of Hitman also visit Hitmanforum to get feedback from the fans, but we remain an independent website.
Running a website costs money. Some of our most generous forum members help pay for:
- Hitmanforum, free of Advertisements
- Funds go towards paying for hosting and related costs
- Want to help? Read more on our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/hitmanforum
Hi everyone, I have some bad news to share.
Hitmanforum is an active forum which is receiving a lot of traffic. That’s great. Although I have not been able to spend a lot of time on the forum personally, I’m happy the forum is thriving even (almost) two years after the last game came out.
However, the forum’s popularity also comes at a cost.
It has been brought to my attention that the Hitmanforum discourse service is generating an ammount of traffic which is substantially outside of the limit of our current hosting plan.
Our friends at discourse.org have been very generously hosting the forum on a ‘normal plan’ at an even more generous discount. The normal plan is meant for communities which generate up to 100,000 page views per month
Hitmanforum currently does about 30,000+ page views per day, or 900,000 - 1,000,000 per month.
Needless to say that’s a lot more than the normal plan supports.
The Discourse official pricing plan suggests that the $300/month Business hosting plan is about enough to cover a maximum of 500k pageviews. (about half of what we need)
Hitmanforum currently has no source of income other than the donations of our patrons for which I am super grateful . However, since we do not run any advertisements on the site, the current total income amounts to only about $29/month… If you do the math it should be clear that that’s not going to be enough to cover such a “business” scenario (and let’s face it, Hitmanforum is not a business).
I’m currently talking to the discourse team to see what can be done.
They’ve been super helpful (and have been cutting us slack for a long time) - but they’re also a business and not a charity.
I’m currently exploring the following options
1. Working out a hosting plan which covers our traffic, yet is affordable
I’m talking to the Discourse team to see which monthly plan would be feasible. There are also alternative hosting options such as discoursehosting.com
2. Increasing Patreon support to cover the increase in costs
Even on a the cheaper discoursehosting plans, our costs would increase. It would be very helpful if more people supported the forum through some small form of monthly donations. If this interests you, and you can spare a small monthly expense, please check out our Patreon page below.
Please note - I am looking for a way to finance our monthly recurring expenses. While one-time donations are super kind, from a financing perspective they are an unpredictable source of income. A regular stream of small but recurring donations is actually far more helpful than a quick burst of one-time donations.
- if you have other ideas, please do share (reply to this topic)
Which options are not on the table?
- I do not have the time to run and operate a self-hosted solution even though that would be more cost effective
- Unfortunately I have to say that I will not be able to continue to run Hitmanforum at a significant financial deficit. I currently pay some of the minor hosting bills out of my own pocket, but if the costs increase significantly that will not be a sustainable solution.
Thanks for your time reading this, and sorry for causing any uncertainty. I felt it would be best to give full transparency in this situation.
If there are any developments I will update this topic.