Game News Thread

Activision be like
south-park

5 Likes

Valve is reaching out to users in seven countries to ask them to cancel and renew their preorders for Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered, after announcing that the original—pretty high—prices for the game in those territories were incorrectly assigned.

3 Likes

to be fair, this was a thing long before those two existed. nintendo and sega did the same thing and there is no way it was unintentional.

5 Likes

Genesis does what Nintendon’t!
Now Sega can barely make a decent Sonic game
jojo-jojos-bizarre-adventures

2 Likes

In a never ending story related to STALKER leaks, an early build of the console port Shadow of Chernobyl just got leaked (use Google translate on the page)

3 Likes

they never could make an enjoyable sonic game

3 Likes

Sonic Games were never my cup of tea, but the music of the classic Games is chef’s kiss

2 Likes

rock hard cock of a disagree there, my man.

sonic aside, you got your afterburner, space harrier, outrun, shinobi, golden axe, virtua fighter and streets of rage, to name a few genuine classics.

granted, most of them were by yu suzuki, but still!

3 Likes

changed my message to reflect my true intentions

2 Likes

i’m late to this but it looks fuckin great:

5 Likes

Played the demo of this on Steam back in June. It’s fun, though I think the idea of an unlockable skill tree holds some of it back.

Yes, the demo was mostly the tutorial and 2 or 3 levels after that, however my enjoyment of the game started out at a low point and only got better the more into it I got.
I guess you could say that’s a good thing, though not really IMO?

You have very basic pool of moves at the start, very limited pool of animations and ways to dispatch your foes, so it kind of feels shallow and half-baked. But once you can start unlocking skills is when you can start diversifying takedowns and making a beautiful improvised fight full of combat flourish.

1 Like

you sold me on it with that.

it seems like it’s a combo of three of my favourite games: s(ifu)per HOTline miami.

would that be fair to assume…?

I’m not even sure if Beth ever made a game that had working ladders

2 Likes

I just watched an interesting video. I’m sure most of you already know about Colin Moriatry’s Last Stand Media outlet that produces a series of weekly video podcasts; for example, Sacred Symbols (PlayStation news and discussions) and Defining Duke (Xbox). In his most recent Sacred Symbols episode (213) they “leaked” a script for the upcoming Tomb Raider game (project Jaw Breaker) and acted it out. It seems that Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix were not impressed and issued a DMCA to the Patreon platform. In this video, Colin openly talks about what that means and brings in a lawyer friends to provide some analysis (he is careful to point out that this is not legal advice).

The video is quite long (just over 40 minutes), but it is a good watch. It certainly raises some interesting questions about what games journalists can and cannot do.

2 Likes

I think so.

Elements of slow-motion can be triggered to plan your next move, you die very easily, top-down view, and like Sifu it’s all about the combat and gritty kung-fu movie vibes. (Though I haven’t played Sifu yet)

2 Likes

The clip sheds more light on what well funded enterprises can get away with. The key take away for me was the attorney saying “the law isn’t completely sure where the line is on a lot of these cases.” Should this ever end up in court it wouldn’t be a slam dunk either way, but SE has the attorneys to intimidate SS by running to Patreon and saying “oh they violated our copyright so give them this letter to tell them to stop.” SS does not want a fight with SE and all the baggage that may come with nor can they risk being thrown off Patreon bc it’s how they put food on the table so they comply with the letter and nothing ever ends up in a civil trial.

It’s worth pointing out that complying with a cease and desist letter is not an admission of guilt.

3 Likes

See ya in 5 years or so for a new release date.

5 Likes

This is the video game equivalent of Neom City, it exists solely to languish in its formative period and conceptual stage so as the remunerate all the creative types that work on it.

3 Likes

Given that Ubisoft missed it’s targets in 2021-2022 and is forecasting losses in 2022-2023, if Tencent are willing to invest, this might be a good thing. Without some injection, changes WILL need to be made. It’d be a shame to see Ubisoft having to cull, or at least prune, some of their popular franchises.

3 Likes

Also a bit more info behind the leaked console port of STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

3 Likes