Game News Thread

wasnt the original open world too? well, small open world sections broken up by story

2 Likes

That cast is pretty amazing.
Chris Pratt
Charlie Day (the dummy from Horrible Bosses)
Jack Black
Anna Taylor Joy
Seb Maniscalco
Seth Rogan
Keegan Michael Key (1/2 of Key+Peele)
Fred Amisen (Portlandia)

1 Like

Yep, guess they want to make it similar to W3 though I wasn’t a fan of it tbh, reminded me too much of those convoluted maps from Ubi’s AC games.

1 Like

Hey, remember Marvel’s Avengers? It just got the Winter Soldier update.

1 Like

Anything known for which platforms this will be released?

2 Likes

I don’t think they specified but I’m sure it’s gonna be PC, Xbox and PS5. They always wanted to port the 1st game to consoles so now’s their chance :slight_smile:

4 Likes

tumblr_bb6e552dc48c9f408680ca49fca64a85_3ee64a7a_400

7 Likes

So why not have an optional survival mode? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Maybe they later add that like in Fallout 4.

3 Likes

They also added the Survival mode in their Anniversary update for Skyrim which is based on a mod though watered down. New Vegas also has a survival mode so it’s not like Beth doesn’t realize that there are people out there that like these kind of survival mechanics in their games.
Not sure why they would have to release a survival mode later when they can have it at launch :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Though what should really happen when running out of fuel? Some narrator saying “That was the moment our hero lost all hope and died a cold dead out there in space.”? Or calling for help?

3 Likes

Call for help for a fee or for free if the player has some allies, ability to carry fuel reserves on ships and have fuel capacity upgrades for ships. I’d go even more hardcore, during waiting for backup, you’d waste precious time for some time sensitive quests, a la Daggerfall or be a sitting duck for space pirates and have to protect the ship from raiders until backup.

There can be so many options for the player if the devs had some imagination or treated their players like smart people :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Because Bethesda Games are trash.

3 Likes

Because survival modes usually massive dick and Bethesda suck at making them even remotely fun or rewarding to play?

3 Likes

I agree.

As long as you’re not forced to use the bathroom every now and then and always be on the lookout of toilet paper or even worse have a mini-game when using it, then I think survival modes can be great fun for those that have that kind of patience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most survival modes feel like that though, it is just micromanagement and obsessive meter checking and I didn’t like it before I had a job and now that I do it would just remind me of work. Survival modes are a good example of real life things not necessarily translating well.

Putting the toil back in toilet.

I have no patience, I want to get stuck in and stuck in quick.

2 Likes

From the interview :

Todd Howard : “That goes back more to a tone thing, right. When you actually play the game, because it’s a game, we don’t really kill you when you fly out in space. But it has a tone of some effort involved. And we have dialled it back as we have been making the game. We used to run out of fuel. You jumped, and get stranded. Which on paper was a great like, it’s a great moment when you get stranded. You have to press this beacon, and you don’t know who’s gonna come. Turns out that’s not like, it just stops your game, we’ve found. You’ve been playing the game and ran out of fuel, ok I guess I’ll just wander this planets trying to mine for fuel so that I can get back to what I was doing. And just it’s a fun killer.”

“The idea was, game do that, you have like a hardcore survival mode this is the kind of things you would do. Maybe we will do in the future. But it’s more like a tone, how they build their ships, do they have all the rights things for safety. We do get into environmental things on the planets, you know. In your spacesuit, obviously there are different spacesuits and buffs for, you know, the gases, the toxicity, the temperature on various planets.”

So, it’s exactly what they think will happen. Just not in vanilla.
Also the fuel question is on going from system to systems. They just don’t want the player to be stranded out there, away from the main hubs. This is just not the focus of the game.

4 Likes

he says in the article that they might add something like it later:

“Howard does note that Bethesda may return to some of these ideas post-launch with some sort of more hardcore survival mode.”

2 Likes

See y’all in 6-8 years then

2 Likes

The Game Awards will be streaming directly through Steam, you can have a chance to win a Steam Deck for every minute you watch the stream through Steam. Sign up here.

5 Likes