As Swang said, safest bet for Konami is probably remakes/remasters. Doubt they would dare to do a full-fledged sequel without Kojimboob. But as you say, they can still mess it up, that is unless they go the Kiwami way (i.e. copy the game in question 1:1).
They tried and it quite literally put the series on life support, something something Metal Gear Survive.
I think that’s what people aren’t picking up, there are studios more than capable of preserving Kojimas vision while giving the game a new fresh et of paint. Konami internally speaking is the undoing of the series and if the past has anything to go by the only way is up.
I know one thing for certain is remasters are a certain possibility or something on par to a demon souls remake level for a Metal Gear Game especially for Metal Gear Solid 3 since it’s evident that they preserved Source Code and the Voice Overs since they built the 3DS Version of MGS 3 from the ground up unlike Bluepoints HD Remaster for 360, PS3, Vita.
Yeah, I assumed they’ve learned their lesson with that one.
Who for instance? Kojima is pre-tty specific… (Not disputing you here, just genuinely curious who would you consider capable enough)
Yeah, I mean based on the Silent Hill announcements from last year, they’re probably gonna delegate even the remakes/remasters to completely different studios.
Paradox also unveiled the sequel to Cities: Skyline, which hopefully can be as good as the first despite the first game having a small mountain of content released over its 8 year life span.
And rather timingly, PC Gamer has an article about the 10th anniversary on the game that killed Sim City.
14-year old me was a simple guy who loved this game.
I can see how simplistic it is compared to previous entries fans love, and Skylines that everyone says is the best successor, but it’s got a simplicity that I really liked.
Edit: that’s a really cool article. I like hearing about what went down behind the scenes, and that they still have fondness for the thing they created – and the legacy Skylines inherited after EA backed out
There’s an upcoming FPS game from ex-DICE (Battlefield) developers called The Finals.
It’s got heavy focus on environmental destruction, and a main mode focused on package retrieval/protection rather than straight up kills.
Sounds interesting and looks interesting too. They do got a good editor! (Love how focused on momentum it looks. And I love the echo effect to the trailer, really builds up hype.)
You can find plenty of videos right now. Beta’s open on Steam from the 7th to the 21st. Doubt I’d be much good at it or my computer can run it, so IDK why I’m so interested lol