Game News Thread

Apparently a bunch of rumours about Microsoft strategy for Xbox, publications, exclusivities, and hardware have run for the last few days.

Everything from Microsoft Studios games aiming for temporary (one year) exclusivities before going to all platforms, to the near future end of the Xbox hardware / brand, and Microsoft becoming just a 3rd party publisher. And all the in-betweens.

Microsoft has now announced that next week will see the publication of “a business update”, and “the future of Xbox”.

It was planned to be revealed at the end of the month, but the rumour mill was not positive and accelerating, so they want to go in front of it.

“We’re listening and we hear you,” says Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer in a post on X. “We’ve been planning a business update event for next week, where we look forward to sharing more details with you about our vision for the future of Xbox. Stay tuned.”

As an Xbox player, I’m a bit curious has to what it will be. And honestly, a bit apprehensive.

6 Likes

Came here to post about that. I have no horse in this race. Still rockin the PS4 Slim, and got a Series S a bit after those came out.

Competition is good for the industry, and “console wars” are stupid.

BUT

I am kind of having some significant schadenfreude thinking about the PlayStation gamers who will buy and be disappointed by Starfield. BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

4 Likes

I do appreciate that Microsoft/Xbox, despite being in a distant third place, considers the market and makes attempts at progress and accessibility.

Gamepass is great, even with rising costs, if you’re a regular gamer. Cloud gaming is pretty good, if you’re not playing a fast game (and I cannot enjoyably play Hitman on it). Quick resume is great. Backwards compatibility is great.

PlayStation and Nintendo have the best, blockbuster games, but their services are kind of shite. I downgraded my PS+ this month from Extra back to Essential. The games are good but I’m just getting more value out of Gamepass.

If Microsoft does put its games on other platforms after a year of Xbox exclusivity, it can only be good for them financially.

1 Like

Honestly the only Xbox exclusive that I’d be excited to get on another platform is Rare Replay

2 Likes

I want to add on to this and how it could affect the ecosystem.

Essentially what I’m hoping this may lead to is PlayStation being more willing to release select titles that are exclusive. Such things like Demon Souls, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Final Fantasy, etc. I’m not saying stuff like TLOU or GoW being on Xbox even though it would be nice.

I’m just tired of console exclusivity and the whole brain dead console war believers and just want to play games and enjoy them without shoveling hundreds upon thousands of dollars just to own the hardware to do so.

All hope but that’s all it can be.

4 Likes

Sooo… It looks like Fortnite is gonna turn Disney Plus into a video game now

I love how one of their 4 ‘pillars’ of this project is “buy more of our stuff” :joy: lmao yikes

Edit: btw, relevant news article: craaaazy money

5 Likes

AAAA - Ass Ass Ass Ass

4 Likes

I will wait for a sale of Skull and Bones - World of Piracy - Part One.

6 Likes

Here is a piece of media that:
-Costs more for less entertainment value.
-Comes out in periodic intervals.
-Kills of its characters in cheap ways.
-Resurrects them almost instantaneously after the fact just as cheaply.
-Barely follows its own previous canon while adding poorly developed additions to it.
-Revolves around some sort of constant be-all-and-end-all event with universal implications.
-Bogs itself down in multiversal stories.
-Has way to many Batman related characters
You aren’t playing a game, you are reading a DC comic book.

3 Likes

Yeah, reminds me of a certain game that came out in 2016.

Though there’s leaks, we still don’t know how exactly the League will be resurrected or indeed if they’ll all actually be resurrected. And them coming back months down the road is hardly what I’d call “instantaneously”

Pretty much all the continuations are plausible, though granted some aren’t really explained much in-game. White Deadshot was more than just an imposter, equally skilled to black Deadshot (likely an alternate universe version). The flower in Knight hinted that Ivy might not be fully gone. Over 5 years, Harley would likely get over Joker. The Justice League could reasonably be a motive for Batman to come back into the spotlight instead of continuing as the demon bat.

The game may bog itself down in multiversal stories down the road, but all it has right now is the main universe and Earth-2.

There’s a lot of Batman characters, but that’s more likely because the other games in the Arkhamverse have all been focused around Batman.

I mean, in the third Insider video the Production Manager literally compares it to a comic book release where you look forward to the next issue. That seems to be what they were going for.

1 Like

I was just make a joke, granted my core observation remains. On some level this comic book game has ironically wound up developing a lot of the problems comics have as a medium.

Yeah but our game is good, that is the big difference.

2 Likes

I’m gonna stray off topic for this one because you just reminded me about how much I didn’t like the support cycle of HITMAN 2016.

It was basically just a Location releasing and then having escalations and the rare challenge pack released between them during that initial year of support. Then we got Summer Bonus Missions that extended into winter that following year adding onto that we got holiday hoarders. And then they dropped Patient Zero late 2017.

The more I look back on HITMAN 2016’s support the more frustrated I am by it since HITMAN 2’s and HITMAN 3’s eclipsed it in terms of enjoyability and unlocks

5 Likes

It feels almost wild to think back on 2016. I remember buying Hitman then when Marrakesh had just come out and I think there was a sale price on Steam. That was on my old computer and I could barely get Sapienza to stay at 30fps. (I can run the game fine on every map now except Mendoza, my frame rate always dies if I get anywhere near the field.) When you only had 3 maps, which eventually grew to 6, plus the ICA maps, you wind up putting a lot of time and effort into them. Honestly I probably know the 2016 maps far better than I do for any of the maps in Hitman 2 or 3, Sapienza easily has my highest playtime of any single map and I’ll probably remember most of the World of Tomorrow mission for the rest of my life. With Hitman 2 and 3, because there was a greater variety, I tended to dip into them on a more casual basis since there was choice and variety.

Nowadays though, I think 2016 is a game of two halves for me. I adore Sapienza, probably my favourite map still, if not at least top 3, and Hokkaido is fantastic as well, and Paris is great too. But the other 3? I think Colorado is the worst map of World of Assassination. Theoretically an interesting concept, but in reality? What is Hitman without civilian disguises and what essentially amounts to various shades of military attire. Nowadays I find starting outside the map in civilian clothes in Freelancer to just be a chore in frustration. Bangkok is pretty annoying too, a hotel level that seems to miss what makes hotel levels interesting, with one half of the building devoid of any real interest and the other half being filled to the brim with annoyingly placed enforcers. Marrakesh’s issue is that the embassy and school are way less interesting that the actual city, and placed annoyingly far from each other. I would argue the night mission is actually better than the main mission because it just cuts out the worst parts of the map and has a tight focus in the centre.

6 Likes

100%. AHBOS and Landslide were fantatic and both in my top 5.

9 Likes

This is both great and sad for the devs who need to do damage control to keep the online services working.

Enlistment rises up. Servers Helldive significantly.

Today they have put the servers on maintenance as new issues related to in-level resources/ XP Rewards aren’t being given after a completed mission.
Also, probably, to fix more matchmaking issues that haven’t been resolved yet.

12+ hour days… god… my heart goes out to them. I really hope they can get through these issues quickly. It’s great that somehow the sequel to this niche game caught so much attention… HOW??

UPDATE:: Server Maintenance done for tonight, but issues still remain. They really are overwhelmed with success lmao
(Great community update btw with transparency on server numbers causing login issues, etc.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/s/whc96uE9Rl

Server Update [12 Feb 2024]

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for your patience during the server maintenance. With it we deployed three “rapid-fixes” aimed at improving the situation with rewards often not being handed out properly, login-issues, and server capacity.

To speak in technical terms, our services as well as our partner services have a rate limiter that denies connections beyond a volume per minute to prevent the entire system from failing. We managed to increase the rate limit from 10,000/min to 20,000/min and the total capacity of concurrent players was increased from 250,000 total to 360,000 total. This was however still not enough as the player count jumped to 360k after 5 1⁄2 minutes.

As such, the issue with login remains. If for any reason you get the “Failed to connect to server”issue it means that the maximum number of login requests for that particular minute is exceeded and/or that the servers are full and will require someone to log out before allowing new players in. As mentioned above, the increased capacity should require less retries to get in.

As for the reward issue, the fix was mitigated but not resolved. And without additional server maintenance this will still not work as intended. If you get the issue you can try rebooting the game to increase the chances of it being reset. This is due to the high traffic on the servers leading to rewards not being tracked correctly by our servers.

I know the progression issue is frustrating, especially for newer divers that want to unlock sweet gear. For now, please once again accept our sincere apologies for the issues you’re facing and rest assured, we’re doing our utmost to make it right. In order to do so, right now it is crucial that our team gets some sleep and we will be back at this again in a few hours.

Regards,
Johan

5 Likes
4 Likes

I’m excited for this game because I think it looks beautiful and artful, but I’m sort of disappointed that it’s not going to be a full on point-and-click adventure game.

<< Harold Halibut is an adventure game, but potentially complicated puzzles shouldn’t scare you off. “We were thinking about a point-and-click adventure, and we thought no, it would slow the story down. So why don’t we drop like all the puzzles?” Tillman says, citing the success of games like Night in the Woods and Firewatch giving them confidence that players would embrace an adventure game focused entirely on narrative. Still, the team was not interested in making a film. “At one point, we really thought about a case that while this is a very cinematic and narrative-focused game, there is still something that the interactivity adds to it,” Hekimoglu says. “Even if it’s just walking around and talking with people, because it enables a more empathic connection to the medium.” >>

3 Likes

Free Game Alert

8 Likes

Yippee! Smalland is finally out on Consoles! (With a 15% launch discount for PS+ / XbGold members!)

Now to see if later today we get some confirmation that Grounded is gonna make the jump to PS5… :smirk:

3PM EST for that Xbox Podcast Business Update!

2 Likes

This looks even dumber than I expected but yeah they released shadow Pajamas for sonic superstars also despite the text saying otherwise it is also available for ps4

1 Like