Game wont launch

Im having trouble with getting Hitman to start. It was working fine until I tried to play it today. Every time I try to launch the game the launcher appears but hitting play doesn’t start the game. Steam attempts to start “%game%” but then I get a steam error that says “An error occurred while updating (app configuration unavailable)” I dont understand since there were no updates done and it was working before hand. Any ideas? Google comes up with nothing.

Any ideas? I have been trying since I posted this but its still not launching.

1 Like

I truly do not know, maybe checkout the STEAM game folders section, to see if the episodes are properly downloaded, that being said did you pay for the full game or just the prologue demo?

Otherwise the super-friendly nice master assassin (IOI community manager) @Travis_IOI could stronglyhelp you out with this one! :wink:

(Also welcome to the HITMANforums. Hope you have a nice stay!) :grin:

Try exiting out of Steam and then deleting the file named appinfo.vdf. (You might want to take a backup of the file, just in case…)
It should be in the appcache directory.

For example,
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\appcache\appinfo.vdf

truly do not know, maybe checkout the STEAM game folders section, to see if the episodes are properly downloaded, that being said did you pay for the full game or just the prologue demo?

Thanks for the welcome!

I have checked if everything is there and have validated game files. I own the GOTY edition of the game.

Try exiting out of Steam and then deleting the file named appinfo.vdf. (You might want to take a backup of the file, just in case…)
It should be in the appcache directory.

I have already try this. It didn’t work :confused:

Also, re-downloading the game is like worst case scenario since I live in Australia and it would take literally days to download.

Bumping post since I need to find a solution for this.

Bumping again. I got over 2 hours of playtime when I could play so I cant refund it. Still need help :frowning:

Maybe revalidate the files:

Click right mouse on hitman
Go to the bottom (options I believe)
Go to files
Revalidate the files

Tried this allready.

Bump. I really need a solution guys. Anybody want to help?

Everyone is willing to help here. It’s highly probable that nobody here has encountered this issue and so, don’t have a solution.

Would reinstalling the game be a problem?

Edit: Just read that reinstalling is not an option. I am afraid you’ll have to wait and see if anyone responds.

Yeah. It kinda sucks but oh well. I guess I will have to play blood money while I wait

This problem occurs a lot. I hope a patch comes soon!

Nothing came up on google so I thought I must have been one of a kind :man_shrugging:

Ok so I reinstalled the game when no one else was home (so speeds were faster) and im still having the same issue. I have updated all my drivers so I think it has to be Steam.

Recently there were like 3 updates in a week, so I suggest updating steam indeed. I don’t think it has to do anything with steam bit you can try at least…

Just did the latest steam update and its still not working. Might require a steam reinstall which kinda sucks.

I think it doesn’t have anything to do with steam so save the hassle.

There I have invited @Travis_IOI to try and fix your issue, hope the problem gets rescued as soon as possible! :wink: