General News 1.0

He’s already pledged to do so, so it has been considered. Saying that, a politician’s promise is hardly a guarantee, so we’ll wait and see. That’s assuming that the Tories don’t get in, and I wonder if they’ll have lost enough voters because of their various recent shenanigans by the time the next general election comes. Truss/Sunak might be able to remedy some issues, but they could lose even more of the party’s support.

2 Likes
9 Likes

Well, it’s primary day here in Michigan and a few other states. Trump-endorsed unqualified idiot Tudor Dixon has won the Republican nomination for governor. Thankfully, Whitmer has a decent lead in the polls. (:crossed_fingers:)

But everyone was watching Kansas, where they had the first post-Dobbs referendum on abortion. The proposal would have removed language from their state constitution that protects reproductive rights, but it has failed by a significant margin.

7 Likes

Yeah, Arizona went with their establishment Democrat and they can’t decide which crazy person should be the Republican nominee but Kari Lake is losing though so it might not all be so bad on the gubernatorial side of things.

1 Like

And I’m conceding that Alex Jones is a massive scumbag.

4 Likes

86 to 11. I like it. Stupid that it had to go through a round of protests though bc the GOP wanted to play with the funding.

6 Likes

That jackoff is conceding because now people are actually coming down on him for it and judges are allowing it to proceed, so he knows he’s fucked, so now he’s conveniently realized it was all true because it’s not a useful talking point for him anymore. Fuck this guy. Steve Bannon is next. Then it’s time to get Tucker Carlson and Joe Rogan.

3 Likes

Actually they did it because the Democrats didn’t spanner a bill to reduce medicine costs but it looks like the Republicans needed an actual excuse. The only reason the GOP passed this new VA bill is because it obviously makes them look really bad and ludicrously petty blocking it in the first place.

1 Like

Yea man politics as usual, but on paper they attempted to change some of the funding provisions in the bill. I’ll be alive in 10 years and I’d be most displeased if some medical complication pops up only for me the learn the funding is now not mandated but optional.

I’m not a “pay the military way better” guy, my pay was more than fair, but any country needs to fix the medical issues their vets acquire while wearing the uniform, especially if they those issues are picked up while fighting a war.

2 Likes

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

9 Likes

Absolutely priceless.

2 Likes

Britney Griner gets sentenced to nine years.

And the Louisville officers who killed Breonna Taylor have finally been charged with federal civil rights violations.

4 Likes

Seems low. But punitive damages are yet to be determined.

7 Likes

And it only gets worse as Bankston said he will hand over the phone records to the Jan 6 commission. Jones has been in contact with the putrid ghoul known as Roger Stone.

6 Likes

I believe you sully the good name of both putridity and ghouls with that statement there, @Accidental_Kills98. Accurate, though.

7 Likes

The government of Canada will ban the import of handguns in 2 weeks.

8 Likes

They have been determined.

Total of 49.3 millions.

Punitive damages are meant to punish defendants for particularly egregious conduct, beyond monetary compensation awarded to the individuals they hurt. A high punitive award is also seen as a chance for jurors to send a wider societal message and a way to deter others from the same abhorrent conduct in the future.

Bernard Pettingill, who was hired by the plaintiffs to study Jones’ net worth, said records show that Jones withdrew $62 million for himself in 2021, when default judgments were issued in lawsuits against him.

Jones and Infowars are worth between $135 million and $270 million combined, Pettingill said.

This is the first of three jury trials to determine defamation damage.

This trial is on the behalf of Mr Heslin and Ms Lewis.

Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, are parents of Jesse Lewis, one of the 20 students killed in the Sandy Hook shooting. Heslin, Jesse’s father, testified on August 2 that after his son died, conspiracy theorists, fueled by Jones’ statements, fired into his house and car and subjected him and his family to various forms of harassment.

6 Likes

Texas has statutory limits on punitive damages so that number won’t stick, but Alex Jones told a lie while he was under oath, so he may be tried criminally and serve prison time. That dude deserves to go to gaol.

1 Like

He may actually have even bigger problems than that.

4 Likes

Thanks for the informations.

I can’t find enough on the compensatory damages awarded to determine what would be the theoretical statutory maximum for the punitive damages under texan law. They seem to be non-economical, but I can’t be certain without documents.

I guess the current amount is more of a signal, a barometer.
It will be useful for any other suits. The one coming Jones way, and future ones.
It’s on the record now. It will be cited.

To quote from the case ( Helsin v. Jones, Tex. Dist. Ct., No. D-1-GN-18-001835, 8/5/22.)

Finally, courts also take severe punitive steps when social media content is spoliated. For
example, in Allied Concrete Co. v. Lester, 736 S.E.2d 699 (Va. 2013), the court approved sanctions
of $542,000 against a lawyer and $180,000 against his client for spoliation when the client, at the
lawyer’s direction, deleted photographs from client’s social media page. In the disciplinary
context, at least one lawyer has been suspended for five years for advising a client to clean up his
Facebook page, causing the removal of photographs and other material. In the Matter of Matthew
B. Murray, 2013 WL 5630414, VSB Docket Nos. 11-070-088405 and 11-070-088422 (Virginia
State Bar Disciplinary Board July 17, 2013); see also Florida Bar News, Bar Ethics Opinion on
“Cleaning Up” Social Media Pages Before Litigation, 2/15/2015 FLBN 24. Here, InfoWars’
conduct was likewise egregious, and a severe punitive sanction is necessary to deter future
misconduct in this litigation.