General News Thread 2.0

I must say the opening of his speech is exceptionally well-written.

I mean, he does make it a point that there should be a difference between good entrants and bad entrants and that unaccounted migrants can be victimized by threats already inside the United States who prey on the undocumented.

Also note he is including Humanitarian and Medical Aid in his border security budget.

Also note the speech now clarifies that as agreed with Democrats the wall will be made of steel.
So a deal has been struck. So we expect the government will re-open.

Shifting attention of the cost of the wall versus the Costs and Losses of things allowed to slip through the border is also a good speech tactic.

This has to be the best speech he’s done. Data inaccuracy aside.

Not really, particularly in the US, since with the profits that billionaires receive from ownership of the businesses they can hire lobbyists and consultants to find ways to spend less on their workers - particularly if they become the only major employer in town.

Amazon, for instance, is infamous for having cities and states essentially bid for their presence due to the hope that it will provide job opportunities - while continuing to be one of the most brutal and low paying employers of general workers in the USA. They treat all employees at all levels (except their owner) as disposable items and displace tax burdens onto their competitors and everyone who works.

If, for example, Amazon and the like wipe out ten businesses with a total of a hundred employees - they won’t rehire those same pay with the same benefits, they’ll just potentially sign on a few more people as contractors so they can avoid paying them full time benefits and probably do so in an area where they’re receiving major tax credits (displacing the tax burdens onto the working class).

This is the exact sort of thing that a checks and balances democracy like the USA is supposed to prevent - but is facilitated through variety of means such arbitrarily raising the cost of doing business for periods long enough to wipe out competition, gaining advantages through special tax benefits, and having a population who become dependant upon their abusive employers.

All of which Trump has been facilitating.

This is unfortunately true. But I was talking about a zero-sum situation. Regardless of how selfish a business owner or billionaire is and how they maneuver the law or other systems to minimize the gains of workers and maximize personal gain, the business does need to generate money before anybody in front or second lines get paid.

The billionaire you work for is no longer contributing anything to your livelihood if you left their employ or got fired. Even if it is true that said billionaire uses nefarious means to shave off your income, you still take something home.

I am also not implying that workers owe their billionaire masters something. You work. You get paid. Done. If the pay is unfair that is a different matter that requires justice of some form, though admittedly such is increasingly elusive to attain.

Absolutely, I agree.

However (in all fairness) this should be verified too before we “believe” anything.

If the President is gonna bring up “facts” he should provide the proof of his claims as well.

Well that all depends on who you look at it. If for example, you’re an Amazon or Walmart employee who is dependant upon SNAP (food stamps) to survive then your livelihood is also being provided by other workers (and your own taxes… ironically).

Now suppose your’e one who did work for a smaller competitor, then had to shift to a billion dollar company when your employer was shut down and your wages are slashed - they are now “contributing to your livelihood” in much the same way a prison warden would in a private prison - only unlike the private prison they may also be regularly demanding more government benefits under threat of just leaving (Bezos for instance threatened Seattle he’d just move Amazon’s HQ because they weren’t generous enough to him).

The net situation is - if the billionaire’s company didn’t exist you’d probably have a better job and a better standard of living, so the billionaire’s existence and doing business in your country isn’t a positive in your life - it’s a definite negative.

This “anything at all benefits you” is the rhetoric used by various reactionary groups to try to convince people that they need these billion dollar companies to run their farms, stores, etc as though people had no been surviving without them for millennia.

So I repeat: Donald Trump’s “strategy” is one that only benefits billionaires who can use it crush their competition through temporary rises in the cost of doing business, then leverage their market share to demand their own workers pay for them to have more benefits.

Well that all depends on who you look at it. If for example, you’re an Amazon or Walmart employee who is dependant upon SNAP (food stamps) to survive then your livelihood is also being provided by other workers (and your own taxes… ironically).

Now suppose your’e one who did work for a smaller competitor, then had to shift to a billion dollar company when your employer was shut down and your wages are slashed - they are now “contributing to your livelihood” in much the same way a prison warden would in a private prison - only unlike the private prison they may also be regularly demanding more government benefits under threat of just leaving (Bezos for instance threatened Seattle he’d just move Amazon’s HQ because they weren’t generous enough to him).

The net situation is - if the billionaire’s company didn’t exist you’d probably have a better job and a better standard of living, so the billionaire’s existence and doing business in your country isn’t a positive in your life - it’s a definite negative.

This “anything at all benefits you” is the rhetoric used by various reactionary groups to try to convince people that they need these billion dollar companies to run their farms, stores, etc as though people had no been surviving without them for millennia.

So I repeat: Donald Trump’s “strategy” is one that only benefits billionaires who can use it crush their competition through temporary rises in the cost of doing business, then leverage their market share to demand their own workers pay for them to have more benefits.

So @Clover, what are your thoughts, as the initial poster of this ‘speech’?

This invalidates any argument from anyone of any stature, including inside these hitman forums. Why exempt a president? He’s a compulsive liar at the most obvious, and has lied repeatedly at the most innocent.

No one should consider a word he utters with credence at this point. His own fault

I didn’t exempt him. But he sounds equivocal at least when he acknowledges that immigrants contribute greatly to the United States in his opening remarks. It’s not the childish rant I was expecting.

Trump suggesting that “Mexico will pay for the wall indirectly through a new trade deal” is perhaps the dumbest thing I have heard so far in 2019. He really is a colossal idiot.

Well it’s a bit different here in the Third World. There are no food stamps. If you are paid less, you eat less, your work more.

In that kind of situation it is indeed “anything at all benefits you”. As if the national motto here is “Hakuna Matata”

You do raise good points as the standard of living in America is very different.
But the billionaires do tend to act the same anyway.

It was the dumbest thing I heard in 2015 and again in 2016 and yet again in 2017 and again still in 2018. If you thought that was an overly long gag then so is “Mexico will pay for the wall”

It’s a “NATIONAL EMERGENCY”

It’s almost like despots will use alarmist language in lieu of evidence to promote their agendas…

almost

As someone who has used alarmist speeches to get powerful people to spend money for something useful, I have to say… “Two can play that game”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes but have your projects ever marginalised an entire nation and wasted around five billion dollars?

I said my projects were actually useful! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, what can I say, actually? without proof to back up the Presidents claims, I don’t really have much to go on except his word. (Which don’t count for a lot lol) but if (and that’s a big IF) what he’s saying is true, surely something needs to be set in motion, though I don’t think “a wall” will do much good.

“big IF” indeed.

This guy has lied his whole life. It’s an archetype really, I’ve met people who are the same exact way

The sad part is that the only reason they are so compulsive is for their own ego. Not shame, guilt, to cover anything up, but just to make it look like they’re the greatest thing since sliced bread.

#sad, pathetic, unpresidential, call it what you want… just see it for what it is

The fake news are trying to destroy me! SAD!

The American Astronomical Society has confirmed that we have now received… twice… a patterned repeated radio signal from a region of space beyond the Milky Way.

Radio bursts are normal, but this is the first exact pattern to have been re-transmitted more than once.

There are various theories about this phenomonenon, including that the signals constitute an attempt to communicate with us from a comparably advanced extra-terrestrial species according to the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics…

If it’s really aliens… The question is: What are they saying? And do we answer back?