Half Life Franchise

So, I’ve been playing Half Life 2 as of recently and I noticed that the forum didn’t have a thread dedicated to the series and so hey here we are let’s talk about Half Life.

For me I’ve known about Half Life 2 since my father brought it home for him to play back when I was just a little boy that was my earliest memory when it comes to Half Life, but around the time The Orange Box released was when I got more familiar with it. I played the beginning of HL2 alot as a kid, when I mean alot I really mean it with me stopping after Red Letter Day. Ravenholm scared the shit out of me and so I didn’t really make progress. This would cycle up until recently in which I bought The Half Life games for a cheap price on PC and went from there. After a couple days I managed to make alot of progress in which I am now in Nova Prospeck. I must confess I didn’t realize why people find this series so important until recently. The world building they do along with you assuming the role as “The Free Man” or Gordon Freeman without a voice or personality you become him truly.

I love the soundtrack that Kelly Bailey did, it IMO is up there with Jesper Kyd and Harry Gregson Williams. Something about hearing these simply help build the world that feels Orwellian.

My experience is truly endearing throughout my first actual play through of HL2 and I look forward to The Episodes and Alyx in the future!

Two days ago I tried to buy Half Life 1 for Ps2 from a guy who was selling it on Marketplace of Facebook. But It was not original and not working. I’ll buy from Amazon. I want to play also Half Life 2 for the first time

I haven’t played the Half Life games but I think it’s cool that you guys first experienced it as kids. I hear it has a good plot, but I’m not really into the survival horror aspect of it. I am interested in the mysterious G-Man though!

I wouldn’t say it’s survival horror since Ravenholm though it is meant to have a horror tone to it it’s a small portion of the world revolving around the HL Universe.

I got two words for ya; “Head…crab.”

poke it with a crowbar they die instantly.

But they jump, man! How can you live with yourself, knowing they exist in some form! It’s always worse when the game is in 1st person view too because the lack of immediate spatial awareness means NPCs startle me even when it’s a non-spooky game :smile:

life is in firstperson, I can jump, the people around you are NPC, i can make strange sounds with my voice. life is a simulation this is a game we don’t exist.

That may be, but do they ever explain who the G-Man is?

The ending to Half Life: Alyx

Not gonna detail it in case you wanna skip spoilers but, jeez: this got me pretty excited for the future at Valve. Hopefully is something to look froward and that wouldn’t take more than a decade.

Gonna add this excitement for more Half Life to the list of things that help me to cope with the Corona virus crisis.

1 Like

i only yesterday finished Half Life 1. what a game. holds up so well and it was so awesome. just started playing Half Life 2, looking forward to the rest of the game!
im watching playthroughs of Half Life: Alyx too since i heard it’s a prequel to HL2

1 Like

I recommend watching the playthrough afterwards.

1 Like

Half-Life 1’s expansion pack, Opposing Force is really worth playing too. New weapons, new enemies, campaign is like 60% of the length of the original HL’s. There is also Blue Shift, although it isn’t really worth playing, quite short, no new weapons or enemies. They are also both considered non-canon by Valve apparently.

I’m glad you are enjoying yourself cake. I remember the joy I got when playing the first Half-Life, and then the joy I got again when I got to play through HL2 and its 2 episodes.

1 Like

Never once played Half-Life. Not for not wanting too, just never had my system match up with what was required when the games were hot.
Now the same with Alyx: it’s suppsoed to be amazing. Change the VR landscape with how good it is. But it’s a series I’ve missed for so many years now, I don’t think I’ll be able to get into it.

Just do what I do and watch them all on YouTube :slight_smile:

What version did you play? Original? Original with HD update (Blue Shift)? HL: Source? Or Black Mesa?

If you can get your hands on Black Mesa cheap I’m wondering what that’s like for someone who never played the original, but god the graphics in it are way more beautiful

Maybe I was shit as a kid that it took me so long, but to me it felt equal length!

However Blue Shift, while good and worth playing, was definitely much shorter. Like 1/3 of the original.

And another iconic thing about the HL series but mainly HL1 was the mods, so many amazing mods; literally so amazing that a lot of them were turned into proper games, like Counter-Strike and The Stanley Parable and I guess Garry’s Mod; also Sven Co-op which is available on Steam for free standalone (I think technically you can use the free mod/game to play HL1? But it has updated NPCs etc), but sadly barely anyone plays it now, at least in my area of the world.

uh, the original i believe. Black Mesa looks cool but can’t afford it rn

Blue Shift was never meant to be an expansion pack. What it was originally was it was going to be a bonus campaign for the Dreamcast port of Half-Life. But when that port got cancelled due to the Dreamcast failing, it just got turned into a PC expansion pack. Half-Life Decay is the Playstation 2 port’s bonus co-op campaign, but it has never been released on PC offically.

Black Mesa is really good, I recommend it if you ever get the chance to purchase it later in the future.

1 Like

Boy, I’ve been seeing stuff about Half Life Alyx and I am super impressed! A new Half Life game from Valve, and while it’s only in VR, it’s a full-fledged game. Damn. We really haven’t seen lot of those in VR, have we? Just mostly tech demos or repeatable gameplay loops. If this kickstarts other companies to make bigger VR games, then that industry is going to be even more awesome for gaming. And for Valve, the company notorious to have (seemingly) abandoned game development a long time ago to do that? It would be legendary.
And wasn’t HL: Alyx revealed like 4 months ago? What assassin did Valve hire to make sure no info got out? Since I’m sure most of this thing wasn’t made in 4 months. That’s a major reveal for a massive game for a highly-anticipated continuation of an iconic series! (though I hear this one’s a prequel). Bravo Valve for keeping things quiet.

I’ve only got some passing knowledge about the Half Life series, but it’s always been something I’ve wanted to partake in and experience. I own Half Life 2 on Steam, but I picked it up and put it down 5 years ago and haven’t touched it since. I just can’t (or couldn’t) stand the monsters in the game. The long-tongued ceiling chompers that slowly drag you up to chomp on your brain. Euuuughsh. The headcrabs who control other zombie people (meh) but who can also lunge themselves at your head to chomp on your brain Yeesh… gahhhh. What the hell, I’m getting shivers just thinking about them, and I barely remember where I left off in the game, let alone the story/objective
I should probably replay and complete it this time, if I get around to it… But really, I think I have a phobia of those digital creatures!

Dunno how can you dislike these cute beings?
https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1242515434810871810